Just how representative are we?

carlt

Featured Posts

I think the spat you refer to was on the continuous cruiser Facebook page not the ACC Facebook page. Carl you really need to get over your obsession with ACC On the continuous cruiser Facebook page threads are sometimes closed the same as on any forum. I am not aware of any thread ever being closed on ACC Facebook page or on the ACC Weboage Forum

Absolutely well said how many of us have any chance of a voice at these user groups without being on the committee or travelling miles to attend meetings .

I agree this forum is very good for people to express an opinion

Absolutely well said how many of us have any chance of a voice at these user groups without being on the committee or travelling miles to attend meetings .

I agree this forum is very good for people to express an opinion

I think the spat you refer to was on the continuous cruiser Facebook page not the ACC Facebook page. Carl you really need to get over your obsession with ACC

I have no obsession with ACC.

Is it not natural to use ACC as an example if responding to one of its prominent members.

I assure you that if sueb had made the same suggestion (as she often has) then I assure you that I would have used NABO as my example (as I so often have) likewise if an RBOA, IWA, Bargees Wotsit, Just Canals or any other organisation's founding member had made the comment I would have used their organisation as my example.

I have no way of distinguishing between ACC and CC sites as I cannot read or contribute to them.

This is one boater they don't and cannot represent.

Edited by carlt

When on my boaty travels, which at the moment are few, I can count the number of forumites I meet on one hand, excluding banters.

Since joining CWDF in 2008 I have only seen 3 other boats with CWDF stickers. Yes I realise that many may not want to.

IMHO I do not feel we are representative of the wider canal world.

Edited by Ray T

If we are sticker counting then you may be right and (from my observations) the BCF is the most representative organisation on the waterways.

I do hope you are wrong.

I guess Facebook is far more targeted. There are most probably over 50 Facebook Pages that are canal related. So for example the L&L Facebook page is great for people going to or interested in L&L same with BCN, London etc very forum etc has a use for those using them

When on my boaty travels, which at the moment are few, I can count the number of forumites I meet on one hand, excluding banters.

Since joining CWDF in 2008 I have only seen 3 other boats with CWDF stickers. Yes I realise that many may not want to.

That's true I have not seen many either but I have encountered many more members of CWDF when chatting to people on moorings or at locks. I don't have a sticker either.

I think like Carlt that the forum is successful in providing a means of a significant number of people getting their view out there.

Can it say it represents all of the forums members? Probably not as it is not an association with aims, campaigns or agenda. However I see that as far from saying that the forum has no value. It certainly does have a value and CRT or any other related boating organisation should recognise that and the opinions and views it generates.

I am also cure at times it can be justly criticised for some of the excesses to be found on the forum in views and behaviours but we need to recognise the free discussion that the owner and moderators provide.

I guess Facebook is far more targeted. There are most probably over 50 Facebook Pages that are canal related. So for example the L&L Facebook page is great for people going to or interested in L&L same with BCN, London etc very forum etc has a use for those using them

The more targeted, the less representative.

I'm sure they are all useful and I am a member of several special interest forums which are of use to me.

That doesn't make them "representative" though as their membership is specifically limited.

Its difficult to know/demonstrate how representative this forum is of the wider boating fraternity.

My view has always been that it has support from every sort of boater.

However I also think that the most prolific posters tend to be the various types of liveaboard boaters.

In that respect, I suppose CWDF is not representative of the wider world of all boaters.

But that's not necessarily a bad thing as these tend to also be the most knowledgeable and experienced boaters. The very fact they live on the canals ensures this must be the case.

So, although it may not be fully representative, its bias in liveaboard contributors is probably a great advantage to us leisure users, who benefit from their more extensive knowledge and experience.

Well as a relative 'Newcomer' I have to say,

I Love this Forum,

I sort of understand there are a few very influential regular or semi regular poster's,and because of there command of language,& skills in forum debates may seam to set the tone of certain threads,& may even put other members off posting, but let's be honest an opinion is just that,,even if your wrong,,(which I often am,but people can then just ignore me anyway,)

One of the only other observations I would say I've picked up on in my short time here is Most members Assume a lot about other members, & most posts always seam to decline into arguments about Spelling,Grammer or CCr , CMr. Ect rather than concentrateing on the thread it'self, but I think that's just human nature.

I'm sure that when I've been here a decade or so,I may assent into the 'inner circle' of poster's,even if I still talk crap.

• Greenie 1

Sadly i feel i have to agree with that. Since joining i have mentioned the forum to several boaters and quite a few came back with "Oh no! Not that place" type comments. It is no more representative that a few people sat round in a pub mulling things over, which really thats what it is but without beer and not to be taken to seriously.

Just for the record i quite like it but is it supposed to be representative?

I think that is right facebook is more targeted or you could say narrow where CWDF and the like is open to all things and stronger for it. but it is good sometimes to go specifically to what you want to access rather the the more free-spirited forum.

Personally I don't like facebook and don't use it much personally and not at all as a member of any specific group.

I'm sure that when I've been here a decade or so,I may assent into the 'inner circle' of poster's,even if I still talk crap.

926 posts in 5 months makes you pretty regular Paul and there is no "inner circle" (although I haven't been here a decade so it may not have been revealed to me yet).

I am not a big fan of Facebook but it can be very useful the advantage of this forum is the fact that it is far more broad on topics. The advantage that Facebook does have is that it allows people to open a page on what interests them such as the L&L page that is administered by a member of this forum.

Just for the record i quite like it but is it supposed to be representative?

No it isn't supposed to be representative but, as it is open to all then it is bound to be more representative than most.

The very fact that there are often arguments on here involving all sectors of the boating community suggest that it offers an opportunity for anyone to express their views and, if Jenlyn is right and CRT reads and respects its content, then that means those views are being presented to the right people.

Perhaps they are trying to avoid you Ray laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I think we prpobably meet several on each journey, but to be honest, apart from those io already know (like yourself) I only tend to recognise those that either use their own name or their boat name. A lot more people seem to recognise me, possibly for the same reason.

Edited by David Schweizer

Snip

However I also think that the most prolific posters tend to be the various types of liveaboard boaters.

Snip

I wasn't sure that was true, and on doing a quick check I find it isn't

The top 5 posters in terms of post numbers are Alan_fincher, The Dog House, Carlt, RLWP and Naughty Cal. None of which live aboard, though I know Carlt has done in the past.

There are very few things all members of this forum will agree on, birthday wishes when mentioned are universally friendly as they should be, and we are united on the sadness of finding a body in the cut, or condemning fishermen who throw maggots into boats. But then those are subjects that all reasonable people would agree on boaters or not.

For almost anything else there are a diversity of opinions, and the value of the forum is not is putting through one opinion that we all agree on, but having those opinions out there so that interested parties can view if they want and make their own conclusions as to what a diverse selection of boaters think.

So are we representative? probably not, Are we a very useful resource for those that want to know what the grass routes are talking and possibly moaning about? In my opinion definitely yes.

Sue

• Greenie 2

But that's not necessarily a bad thing as these tend to also be the most knowledgeable and experienced boaters. The very fact they live on the canals ensures this must be the case.

So, although it may not be fully representative, its bias in liveaboard contributors is probably a great advantage to us leisure users, who benefit from their more extensive knowledge and experience.

I'm pretty confident you cannot make a direct correlation between whether somebody lives aboard or not and whether that makes them more experienced and knowledgeable about boating sorry.

For one thing I am sure there are some leisure boaters (some of whom are members here) who must travel on their boats at least as far (if not much further) than some live aboard boaters travel in any given year, Alan Fincher and Naughty Cal spring to mind as two contenders......

Edited by The Dog House

So distance travelled per year = knowledge?

Bit of a short cut imo

(Maybe my short cut I see you didn't exactly mean that...

Not necessarily and not in each and every case but generally I believe its reasonable to assume that distance travelled, which equals experience, which equals practice can increase knowledge which is worth sharing with other boaters yes.