You don't want your narrowboat out in this...... Scary....

Mick_B

Featured Posts

Crikey that was scary, so quick to capsize, and luckily to self-right. Narrowboats don't have such a heavy keel.

Will send that one to my dad now he's stopped sailing. (Would have scared my mum silly)

I wonder if it was a deteriorating forecast or ebb tide, because I would have considered waiting otherwise. Rescue boat didn't seem to have a throw line.

I thought at one time the rescue boat had taken the people in the water under tow to the far side which seemed to calmer protected water.

Then not. As the last person was clutching to the stern of the boat the rescue boats engine was running the boat was moving. Hope the rescued person wasn't thrashing his legs about.

Dramatic events. As I was watching in the early stages I was certain the boat turned to go back out which I thought a good idea. But alas, nope, it was I think to readjust his/her approach on those blooming big rocks.

There was a hell of a sea swell, it appeared that the skipper approached then headed off a cpl of times to gauge the timings & conditions of the fetch, and as soon as they committed & got into the shallow water by the headland / breakwater The sea has got nowhere to go,so tends to climb up & ofcourse break, not good, & little you can do at that stage.

Im not that brave,I would have gone elsewhere, or waited in deeper water if conditions allowed. But it's always easier to take a view after the fact,,

Crikey that was scary, so quick to capsize, and luckily to self-right. Narrowboats don't have such a heavy keel.

That's what yachts do when they've been 'knocked down'

.......... now had it been a motor boat it would have probably been a different out come

I know that looking at it on video isn't quite the same as being there, but I actually thought that the rescue boat made a bit of a hash in getting the people out of the water.

That said, it may not have been a 'rescue boat' and the occupants may not have been trained in people recovery, just a good Samaritan trying to do their best

The skipper had a look! Made a decision and went for it!

His mistake, perhaps, was not putting all unwanted crew below decks, instead of having them sitting about the decks, and not clipping on the needed working crew!

Once the crew had settled down, I would of had a longer look to see what was actually happening at the entrance!

And maybe radioed the harbour, to be aware they were entering and what advise they could bring to bare!

But at the end of a long passage common sense and the pull of the bars does seem to cloud ones thoughts!

Don't ask me why i know!

Nipper

But at the end of a long passage common sense and the pull of the bars does seem to cloud ones thoughts!

Don't ask me why i know!

Nipper

Okay I won't ask.

Second thoughts, I am asking!!! ;-) :-D

Edited by mattlad

He was unlucky with that wave, but it does show just how stable yachts are (as long as the keel stays put). A big keel does tend to catch the turbulence though, that might have been the reason for the knockdown.

If I were skippering in those conditions my crew would be clipped on all the time.

If I were skippering the boat wouldn't have even attempted that entrance, but I suppose its easy to say that.

Far better to stay safe in deeper water which might not be comfortable but doesn't put the crew or boat at risk or if possible find another harbour/port with a safer entry.

It does look as though the boat was caught by a random wave though.

Scary stuff ... my first reaction was why weren't they clipped on? Even in my limited sailing experience I thought they if you were out in those sort of conditions you were clipped on so you could not fall off the boat.

I think I'll stick to inland waters!

Never been 'sailing' as such, but have been to sea a few times.

I was once on a small Frigate (1500 ton) on which to get from forward to aft you had to go via the upper deck. If we were in ruffers you had to clip on to the wire, just incase.

I,also am surprised the crew weren't clipped on. Mind you,with the movement experienced unless they were on the end of long lines they would have been thrown around abit.

Martyn

That harbour is notorious apparently, a very narrow entrance on a steeply shelving shore, but lovely once inside safely. Clearly the skipper was anxious, hence his dithering before making his final approach. I don't think it was a freak wave given the ones that followed regularly. The trouble with many modern yachts is they are very "fat" at the stern and fine at the bow, so excess buoyancy (comparatively) at the stern makes them lift the stern and bury the bow, then pitch pole or broach as this did. It's worse of course with a press of wind in the sails!

Its debatable whether the creew were safer inside or out. if inside they would have been thrown about badly and perhaps injured seriously. Certainly however they should have been clipped on.

Never below. If she had gone turtle, anybody below is trapped.

As said before, we can only speculate as to why the skipper choose to turn and risk a broadside, and from our armchairs it is easy to suggest he should have gone to deeper water to ride it out. But perhaps some seriously bad weather was approaching, and this looked like a possible (last) opportunity to get into a save haven.