Headlamps

MyLady

Featured Posts

The headlamp (a foglamp) on Milady was cr*p!

The biggest fault was the mounting: so close to the front of the saloon that it couldn't be pointed straight ahead, and the front doors fouled it, so it never pointed in the best (poor) position as the door knocked it out of alignment.

I've sorted both of those issues by adding a small extension - a 3" steel bar - to the mounting.

I haven't tried it out in a tunnel yet, but I suspect it still isn't ideal (my comparison is with twin 100W driving lamps on the car). Another comparison was with a boat that cruised past after dark one night, that had two lights, one above the other, which lit up both sides of the canal so that after dark cruising looked safe and comfortable.

The first problem with either comparison is mounting (I might just replicate the original issues, or have to have a new mounting post welded on, which would impair access to the gas locker, or make the lights over vulnerable to bridges or tunnels). The next is that 2x100W is a helluvalot of amps to draw down the existing wiring - with associated voltage drop and loss of light - not to mention the fire risk.

My current thought (apologies for the pun) is to keep the existing fog-light, but to add on two hand held lamps, fitted with 3W LED 'bulbs', one on the foredeck and the other at the stern, coupled with our walkie-talkies to tell the missis where to point the front one.

That seems like a very flexible, but very inadequate 'solution' not least because it needs one hand on the lamp, one on the walkie-talkie and a third on the tiller - and I'm not sure how useful the 130 lumen output will be (I've seen figures for car lamps quoting 1000 lumens, but cars go rather faster than 3 knots!)

The trouble is I've little or no practical experience here - and that which I do have relates to mid-winter, when cruising after 4pm definitely needs lights, while meeting deadlines due to closures can require a longer day than provided by daylight - a diminishing requirement, but there'll be winter 2014 to cope with...

Can anyone offer practical advice, either on lamp housings, mountings, requirements for useful light output levels, suitable LEDs, or anything else relevant to cruising without daylight (in tunnels or after dark)?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

Courtesy dictates that your tunnel light should be aimed slightly to the right and slightly upwards to avoid blinding oncoming boats - its not much fun navigating a tunnel with a 100w spotlight aimed in your face. This is also why fog lamps make better tunnel lights as the beam lights the tunnel around and ahead of your bow where you need to see.

I would suggest keeping the fog lamp and set it up as a tunnel light and add a second longer range spotlight for night navigation and have two switches.

You certainly don't need 200 watts or even 100. On your car you need to see quite a long way ahead. On your boat a few yards is plenty. My tunnel lamp is a 10 watt reversing lamp and is perfect. Aimed slightly up and to the right it lights my way without dazzling anyone. Most boats have a far too bright a tunnel lamp, please don't join them.

Dave

You certainly don't need 200 watts or even 100. On your car you need to see quite a long way ahead. On your boat a few yards is plenty. My tunnel lamp is a 10 watt reversing lamp and is perfect. Aimed slightly up and to the right it lights my way without dazzling anyone. Most boats have a far too bright a tunnel lamp, please don't join them.

Dave

I believe you have said that before Dave, and would be interested to know whether that is tungsten or halogen. A 10w tungsten light would not be very bright at all. We have a 1930's Lucas King of the road Fog lamp (correctly positioned) which has been modified to take a 40w tungsten bulb which I find more than adequate. I guess it would be about the same light output as a 10w halogen.

I can only agree with the last 2 posts. As long as you have sufficient light to see a small way ahead, that is sufficient. I too have been blinded by oncoming boats in tunnels with far too many candlepower. We fitted a repro vintage headlamp on Resolute, proved fine, can't recall the wattage, sorry. The less said about Francis searchlights, the better!

Dave

I believe you have said that before Dave, and would be interested to know whether that is tungsten or halogen. A 10w tungsten light would not be very bright at all. We have a 1930's Lucas King of the road Fog lamp (correctly positioned) which has been modified to take a 40w tungsten bulb which I find more than adequate. I guess it would be about the same light output as a 10w halogen.

Well it is a 10w tungsten bulb and believe me it is bright enough and yes, I have said it before (and no doubt will say it again).

When entering a tunnel I generally close one eye before getting into the tunnel mouth then wnen I open it I can see OK, much better than losing all vision for a moment on entering the blackness.

Dave

An old type car sealed beam headlamp unit make really excellent boat headlamps with a nice wide spread of light. Mounted upside down and fitted with a dip switch at the helm position, by dipping the switch the beam will be directed upwards for tunnels and main beam 'down' for travelling in the open at night. The unit could be mounted in a nice box and mounted on the front bulkhead or roof.

• Greenie 1

I have always used a lamp mounted near the driving position so it lights the roof of the boat and can be turned out of the way for other boats.

My latest lamp type is 240v 10 or 20w led floods available for about £10-15

Going through tunnels with no light is good too :)

Bright lights coming the other way are a bit of a bugbear of mine, do you really want to dazzle the person steering a boat in the opposite direction.

I understand why people want bright lights but it can be hard on the folks coming the other way.

I use a cheapo Halfords fog lamp aimed up and to the right.

Off centre headlights can be very confusing in bendy tunnels , are Barnton and the other tunnel ( forgot name) timed now like Preston Brook, I can't remember.

Except possibly when locking (when a head torch is more useful) there is no general need for lights when cruising after dark. The cut shows up well even on moonless nights, once your eyes are night adapted. Quite dim white light will instantly destroy your night vision.

I shall not comment on the suggestion of wanting 200W of headlight beyond pointing out that a couple of candle power in a suitable housing was quite adequate for the professionals. I have found that 36W of tungsten in a Raydot foglight has been quite OK for the last 25 years.

N

I very much doubt that your car has 2 100w driving lamps, since the legal max wattage at 12v is 55w!!

As said, all you need is one fog light pointing up towards the roof of the tunnel about a length and a half ahead of you. Pointing anywhere else can too easily "blind" an approaching boat. If you need side illumination then turn the interior lights on, they are normally more than adequate

smiley_offtopic.gif

since the legal max wattage at 12v is 55w!

and that just shows how stupid the law is, tungsten, halogen and discharge lamps would give out completely different lumen ('brightness') for that wattage.

As for 100 watts, you could spotlight the space station. laugh.png

Do NOT fit a powerful headlight. It's quite unnecessary and downright bad manners to use a blinding light in a tunnel. I, like BEngo, have got a a low wattage bulb - a 12V21W brake light in my case. All you need is something that will cast a halo of light on the tunnel roof and just aim your boat in the middle of the arc.

When my headlight failed once in Blisworth, a small paraffin hurricane lamp was a perfectly adequate substitute.

Please note, I didn't suggest that 100W bulbs were appropriate for a canal boat, only that that (when rallying) was almost my only point of comparison, it's just that my current lamp has done a great job of lighting up the tree tops to starboard, reducing my night vision, without doing much useful to compensate.

Back to the useful suggestions made here (what I came for):

i) I like the idea of an upside down dipping headlight, but don't fancy running a new power cable down the whole length of the boat, though using the present power cable with a relay to switch between the filaments, controlled by a signal cable unrolled temporarily through the accommodation (or over the roof) when needed, could be within my competence - comments please;

ii) the low power actually needed in tunnels sounds good - the 3W LEDs sound as if they'd be fine;

iii) the rear mounted light is an interesting idea, but with a cream coloured roof, unless I can prevent spill onto that, it could dazzle more than illuminate (but light upwards at the back would be useful - I got knocked down by a sudden drop in the roof in the Harecastle that I didn't see coming!)

My remaining concern is negotiating bridge holes after dark; in daylight I can see them from afar and, usually, line up the boat in time to avoid bashing the sides, after dark, I still worry how I would cope.

Apologies for sounding ignorant, but I am. Buying my first canal boat in mid October 2013 and having to meet closure deadlines on my way from Whilton to Yorkshire, not to mention recent winds, might explain why I feel under pressure.

Thanks for all the help,

Roger

Edited by MyLady

Maybe your night vision is not good.

My other half has bad night vision and I have good but in bright sunlight I have a problem, hence always wearing photo chromatic spectacles.

As mentioned you need two lamps, one for the tunnels and one for the canal at night or just the 'fog' lamp and realign it for each use.

Last August, when going through Blisworth I was confronted by a f****** lunatic with 6 forward facing car type spotlights, 4 mounted on the roof forward and 2 in the steering position that appeared to be on swivels. His awful, chavy 'kidz' were deliberately shining them at the on coming boat. I am afraid they blinded me and I 'accidently' rammed them into the side, shame :). I wished that I had the Francis light that I had on Warrior, it would have been no contest.

Here's my set-up, a bit Heath Robinson but works well (plus a couple of cabin lights). That thread also includes views on stern lights.

I have also used it when navigating at night, or rather for the last 30 seconds to illuminate the bank when mooring. In that instance (fifty plus boats on the move, after a firework show in Henley) I just relied on navigation lights. The main function of lights is to ensure other boats can see you (and not be blinded by you).

Roger,

I think you are trying to over-complicate the matter!

All that is needed is a simple car fog light on the front of your boat, with no more than a 55w bulb, tilted slightly upward. For night time navigation you will find that the ambient light, reflecting off the water will be more than adequate to see your way through bridge holes.

Edited by Graham Davis

Good tip I was told once when passing through a tunnel was to put all the interior lights on and this reflects on the tunnel walls as a guide.

Do NOT fit a powerful headlight. It's quite unnecessary and downright bad manners to use a blinding light in a tunnel.

I've only ever encountered one way tunnels. Are there two way ones also?

Good tip I was told once when passing through a tunnel was to put all the interior lights on and this reflects on the tunnel walls as a guide.

Blisworth and Braunston to mention two.

Plus Netherton, Newbold et al.

Edited by Ray T

On our first boat (one of these...) we hung a camping gaz lantern on a bit of wood across the hatch. Very effective in Braunston, Blisworth etc.

Could one argue that Dudley is a three-way tunnel ?

motorboat2.jpg