More flooding...

blackrose

Featured Posts

The river Avon's beginning to flood again. I should think it'll be another 2 - 3 ft deeper after tomorrow's forecast rain.

I think I better move my car! (top right)

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTQwMTI1LTAwNTU5LmpwZw_zps

One thing that I find a bit odd is how lots of other people who live on the water don't seem to watch the weather forecast. I've spoken to two other people in the marina this morning and neither seemed to know that's it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. One bloke looked at me and said "Don't say that!" like it was my fault!

Part of my way of getting by is by being prepared and that includes watching the weather in winter. I filled up my water tank this morning, put some credit in the electric meter, went to get some more coal, chopped some kindling and filled the outboard with fuel. One of the bags of coal had to go on a neighbour's boat because she'd forgotten to get any and the coal merchant closed at 1pm today.

Anyone can have problems, but it's the people who aren't prepared that are generally more likely to suffer. I thought part of being on a boat was having a bit more affinity with what's going on around you and what needs to be done, but I think some people on boats have become a bit soft and detached through living in houses for too long - or perhaps they were like that to start with.

Edited by blackrose

The river Avon's beginning to flood again. I should think it'll be another 2 - 3 ft deeper after tomorrow's forecast rain.

One thing that I find a bit odd is how lots of other people who live on the water don't seem to watch the weather forecast. I've spoken to two other people in the marina this morning and neither seemed to know that's it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. One bloke looked at me and said "Don't say that!" like it was my fault!

Part of my way of getting by is by being prepared. I filled up my water tank this morning, put some credit in the electric meter, went to get some more coal, chopped some kindling and filled the outboard with fuel. Anyone can have problems, but it's the people who aren't prepared that are generally more likely to suffer. I think some people on boats have gone soft through living in houses for too long - or perhaps they were soft to start with.

You're right, Mike, the Boy Scout's motto is most useful.

And, let's face it - weather forecasts are now so plentiful, (and much more accurate than they used to be) there's no excuse for 'not knowing'.

We brought forward all our outside jobs this morning, realising it would be a trifle damp this afternoon.

And the dampness arrived 15 minutes ago - - great slathering bucketloads of it!

Yes.I know the feeling! I have been watching the weather in an almost obsessive manner and am driving people made keep checking my phone!

But since I have moved onto a river I am taking no chances and am waiting to move my boat when it is safe to do so.

it just makes sense to do outside jobs when it is not pouring and plan ahead, something I have trained myself to do. But I do think you are brave, blackrose, looks a bit lively where you are!

I have always checked the weather on a weather App which gives local forecast and has always been very accurate, likewise I signed up (free) for Flood Alert on my local bit of water with the EA. To me it makes sense given that we are at the mercy of the weather and its handy to have a heads up.

Phil

Yes.I know the feeling! I have been watching the weather in an almost obsessive manner and am driving people made keep checking my phone!

But since I have moved onto a river I am taking no chances and am waiting to move my boat when it is safe to do so.

it just makes sense to do outside jobs when it is not pouring and plan ahead, something I have trained myself to do. But I do think you are brave, blackrose, looks a bit lively where you are!

I've been living on rivers for a few years now. The first time the river floods it freaks you out a bit, but as long as your boat is safe and you know it's not going anywhere and it can rise and fall safely then you gradually get used to it. I think the time it felt worst was on the Thames when the force of the current hitting the bow made getting to sleep quite difficult as my bedroom is in the bow and the noise of the water hitting the bow made it sound like it was coming into the boat! But living on the boat when it's surrounded by water is really no different than being next to the bank - it's just getting on and off that poses a few challenges!

Edited by blackrose

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTQwMTI1LTAwNTU5LmpwZw_zps

Part of my way of getting by is by being prepared and that includes watching the weather in winter. I filled up my water tank this morning, put some credit in the electric meter, went to get some more coal, chopped some kindling and filled the outboard with fuel. One of the bags of coal had to go on a neighbour's boat because she'd forgotten to get any and the coal merchant closed at 1pm today.

Anyone can have problems, but it's the people who aren't prepared that are generally more likely to suffer. I thought part of being on a boat was having a bit more affinity with what's going on around you and what needs to be done, but I think some people on boats have become a bit soft and detached through living in houses for too long - or perhaps they were like that to start with.

Where abouts are you?

I make no bones about being a weather geek.

I watch the models and forecasts with an eye to the flooding situation even when on muddy ditches. I let Kathy know when the "step"is going to be needed and others on the Soar when its looking tasty. I moved into the lock last year as I knew what was coming on top of an already flooded river.

Some folks don't know though, they look out of the window and, oh, its raining again, what should we do??

Where abouts are you?

Near Bidford on the River Avon.

Some folks don't know though, they look out of the window and, oh, its raining again, what should we do??

It's weird isn't it? If people living on land don't watch the weather forecasts I can understand that to some extent, but people on boats who take no notice of the forecasts are just odd. It sort of reminds me of when I worked in Tokyo and I was on the 7th floor of an office building when a small earthquake struck. The building started swaying and most of us including the Japanese staff all looked at each other wondering how bad it was going to get. But the Japanese boss was completely detached and just kept talking as if nothing was happening. I thought afterwards, it's not about being cool or nonchalant, it's about being aware of what's going on around you, appreciating the power of nature and not taking life for granted.

Edited by blackrose

Its quite easy now to not get caught out, you get a few days notice of a big freeze or a storm. It does look like it might get colder this week so I've made sure we're covered for coal.

So i don't understand being caught by surprise either.

Too right. And on (some) rivers there are webcams which show what's happening. For example Strensham, downstream from blackrose, looks like this:

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/central/Avon-(Central)/Strensham-Lock

I reckon the lower gates will be submerged any minute...

• Greenie 1

Too right. And on (some) rivers there are webcams which show what's happening. For example Strensham, downstream from blackrose, looks like this:

http://www.farsondigitalwatercams.com/live-webcams/central/Avon-(Central)/Strensham-Lock

I reckon the lower gates will be submerged any minute...

Great link Keble, but where is Strensham?

Great link Keble, but where is Strensham?

Aah yes, got it!

That link takes me to a web site which has photos of the weather conditions on lots of rivers throughout the country - except, for some reason, Eastern England which is where I am. I should think that parts of the Nene and Great Ouse must be getting quite high by now.

We live by the Old River Nene (alias Well Creek) but it is little affected by rainfall.

That link takes me to a web site which has photos of the weather conditions on lots of rivers throughout the country - except, for some reason, Eastern England which is where I am. I should think that parts of the Nene and Great Ouse must be getting quite high by now.

We live by the Old River Nene (alias Well Creek) but it is little affected by rainfall.

I've got a delivery down your way in March, I don't suppose you could get rid of some of that water before then! Please :-)

We are on the Lark which is on the same pound as the Ely Ouse and have been hovering just off or on the bottom for the last couple of months. The Ouse upstream of Earith has been on and off red boards for the same period, we are lucky that EA open up Denver sluice to create a gradient which protects Cambridge from flooding, the level is dropped from datum of 1 metre at Ely to about .41 / .45 metre.

Phil

• Greenie 1

We are on the Lark which is on the same pound as the Ely Ouse and have been hovering just off or on the bottom for the last couple of months. The Ouse upstream of Earith has been on and off red boards for the same period, we are lucky that EA open up Denver sluice to create a gradient which protects Cambridge from flooding, the level is dropped from datum of 1 metre at Ely to about .41 / .45 metre.

Phil

Phil,are there ever any flood problems on the Norfolk Broads ?,i recall you saying you were moored there for several years.

We live by the Old River Nene

That begs the most important unresolved question in the universe.

Pronounced "NEN" or "NEENE" ?

Edited by mark99

Neen. It's Nen at the Northampton end. I suppose there's a line which you cross somewhere, like the 45th parallel which marks the start of the Midi, where the pronunciation changes.

Nigel, March the town, March the month, or both?

Phil,are there ever any flood problems on the Norfolk Broads ?,i recall you saying you were moored there for several years.

Phil will give a more complete answer I am sure - but I recall one year we hired on the Broads that the Ant and some of the other northern Broads rivers had flooded not long prior to us taking our hire holiday.

Horning on the Bure was badly flooded the same year I seem to recall.

And has since it seems.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/horning_villagers_draw_up_plans_to_tackle_flood_problem_1_2007236

Neen. It's Nen at the Northampton end. I suppose there's a line which you cross somewhere, like the 45th parallel which marks the start of the Midi, where the pronunciation changes.

Nigel, March the town, March the month, or both?

The Imray's guide says Thrapston. Not sure why there ...