More flooding...

blackrose

Featured Posts

The Imray's guide says Thrapston. Not sure why there ...

Sounds about right. As for why, who knows, but these apparently arbitrary geographical lines do exist. When I lived in Heanor, east Derbyshire, if you went into the middle of town you would meet Derby County and Nottingham Forest supporters in roughly equal numbers. Where we lived, less than a mile from the town centre on the west side, anyone who took an interest in soccer was solidly Derby County (although they never called the team by that name - it was invariably "Rams".

Strange that I never knowingly met a Notts County supporter during my six years of living there.

March the month, and should be an interesting one, 70' through Whittesley and salters lode!

It's going to the lazy otter.

You'll be going through Salter's Lode close to the equinox with potentially more vigorous tides than usual. Skylark, owned by Chris Williams (Ovation Boat Services) was not allowed through. I believe that there was a very high tide forecast and the consequence of something going wrong and keeping both sets of gates open was something that they didn't want to risk.

N

Phil will give a more complete answer I am sure - but I recall one year we hired on the Broads that the Ant and some of the other northern Broads rivers had flooded not long prior to us taking our hire holiday.

Horning on the Bure was badly flooded the same year I seem to recall.

And has since it seems.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/environment/horning_villagers_draw_up_plans_to_tackle_flood_problem_1_2007236

The Broads do have some flooding, generaly associated with a combination of Tidal surges and Spring tides. We could on occasion watch the water bubble up through the centre of our lawn (garden mooring) till it all disappeared, had to get of the boat in wellies to convice the dogs it was safe.

The flooding if on a boat is no biggie, current flows max 5 or 6 knots I should guess. Water does not hang around long and today things have improved due to reclaiming Carr land and returning it to reed beds which act as a safety overspill also the creation of more wash land. Just as an aside the 360 degree diggers they use have tracks about 1 mt wide with floatation chambers built in and they just drive them into the water, tow them to the next spot and just drive them out again.

Phil

I took this photo last week at the town moorings in Peterborough.

In some ways the owner of this boat was lucky as it is sitting upright. A couple of years ago the levels dropped and a boat was left lying on its side in the river.

Nene_22012014_zps778121f9.jpg

I took this photo last week at the town moorings in Peterborough.

In some ways the owner of this boat was lucky as it is sitting upright. A couple of years ago the levels dropped and a boat was left lying on its side in the river.

Strewth - But it doesn't look as if it would take much for it to topple.

It must be close to tipping in and one gust of wind in the right direction looks as if it would do it.....

It's the waterlogged wood stack on the roof that's stopping it from overbalancing. Hope it keeps raining or the wood will dry out and it'll tip....

MP.

Surely that will raise the COG? and increase the risk of it toppling?

Surely that will raise the COG? and increase the risk of it toppling?

Time for a blacking methinks.....

Unfortunately for Mr Blackrose, since the early hours, it has been constantly raining in the Avon catchment area. The streams of heavy showers circulating around the low pressure currently centred on North Wales have been coming up the Avon without stopping.

Unfortunately for Mr Blackrose, since the early hours, it has been constantly raining in the Avon catchment area. The streams of heavy showers circulating around the low pressure currently centred on North Wales have been coming up the Avon without stopping.

I got off the boat with a ladder and a pair of waders this morning. It was only up to my knees. I was expecting it to be at least a foot higher when I came back home from work this evening but the level had actually dropped a few inches. There's usually about half a days delay between the rain and when the river starts to rise, so perhaps it will go up a bit tonight.

If the river drains faster than the rain coming into the catchment area then the river doesn't rise, so what with that and the time delay it's a bit tricky trying to work out what's going to happen with the river levels. When I get off the boat I have to make sure I take the appropriate gear (wellies, waders or dinghy) so that I'm able to get back to the boat after work.

Edited by blackrose

Strewth - But it doesn't look as if it would take much for it to topple.

It must be close to tipping in and one gust of wind in the right direction looks as if it would do it.....

It's quite stable - at least 2/3 on the hard, probably closer to 3/4.

Nene at peterborough is rising at the moment so it may be afloat again shortly.

Nene Gauges.

m@

It's quite stable - at least 2/3 on the hard, probably closer to 3/4.

Nene at peterborough is rising at the moment so it may be afloat again shortly.

Nene Gauges.

m@

Isn't the edge of the river "stepped" there? If memory serves correctly, that boat must be a few feet from the normal river edge.

Also I'm wondering what happened to its mooring lines and what will happen if it refloats?

March the month, and should be an interesting one, 70' through Whittesley and salters lode!

It's going to the lazy otter.

No problem. We got our 72', 3' deep historic boat through there last easter! Good luck though!

I've also heard that it's round about Thrapston where the Neen becomes the Nen!

Edited by Black Ibis

I got off the boat with a ladder and a pair of waders this morning. It was only up to my knees. I was expecting it to be at least a foot higher when I came back home from work this evening but the level had actually dropped a few inches. There's usually about half a days delay between the rain and when the river starts to rise, so perhaps it will go up a bit tonight.

If the river drains faster than the rain coming into the catchment area then the river doesn't rise, so what with that and the time delay it's a bit tricky trying to work out what's going to happen with the river levels. When I get off the boat I have to make sure I take the appropriate gear (wellies, waders or dinghy) so that I'm able to get back to the boat after work.

my mate (a Thames newbie) found he had to go and buy waders after work one day, just so he could get back onboard.

Isn't the edge of the river "stepped" there? If memory serves correctly, that boat must be a few feet from the normal river edge.

Also I'm wondering what happened to its mooring lines and what will happen if it refloats?

Yes, the first (Bottom) step at that point is about 6ft wide, the boat is on this.

Lines are still attached, the boat was moored with a good length of line.

If it refloats, a South wind will blow it further aground, a North wind will blow it back into the river.

There is a high chance of it sinking if it catches on the edge when the river drops again.

m@

We're fairly soon going to be wanting to pass through the Calder & Hebble and Aire & Calder Navigations to the Leeds & Liverpool. The flood control gates are now shut (till further notice). Can someone tell me what the relevant catchment areas are so I can watch the forecasts intelligently. I accept that the flood gates will only open when they open, but any information would help me to anticipate how to CC sensibly.

Approaching via the Standege tunnel, I can't get there before than mid March, but I'd like as much advance information as possible.

Roger

We're fairly soon going to be wanting to pass through the Calder & Hebble and Aire & Calder Navigations to the Leeds & Liverpool. The flood control gates are now shut (till further notice). Can someone tell me what the relevant catchment areas are so I can watch the forecasts intelligently. I accept that the flood gates will only open when they open, but any information would help me to anticipate how to CC sensibly.

Approaching via the Standege tunnel, I can't get there before than mid March, but I'd like as much advance information as possible.

Roger

This is what you want Aire and Calder river levels The Calder rises and falls faster than the Aire. The dots are clickable to see river levels, and you can follow the progress of the water surge after rain in the hills.

Although CRT should not enforce mooring rules if you are held up by closed flood gates, be aware that most of the moorings in Huddersfield are owned by the marina, who will charge you after 3 days (but a reasonable amount).

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

I'm starting to go rusty, when will it ever stop. I'm so saddened by seeing people flooded out and their homes destroyed.

Is there no way the stranded boat could be re floated safely if the river comes back up. Do the EA not deal with it under a prevention of pollution policy ?