Dispute at Pillings

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Full marks to your young lady for continuing her employment.

I understand that Aldi are a reasonable company to work for, although I recognise that they expect their staff to work every minute that they're in-store - and maybe those that have resigned didn't like the pace of work, or what is expected of them?

That would be my take too. ALDI staff their stores at the bare minimum and actually expect their staff to work rather than loaf about chatting to each other like you see in some other supermarkets. Now yes it is possibly close to 'abuse' in some peoples minds but why should an employer not expect people to actually be paid and get some effort in return...

WEll we are all giving Paul LillIe more ammuntition not to sign up to a new NAA

Its not long now

Can I say "Boy Toy Roy" in a totally nonsexual manner? That unfortunate young man is probably going to end up so used and abused, with black marks against his credit and reputation from his association with people who have blatantly demonstrated their lack of scruples. But, he's going into this willingly, with his eyes wide open, so why not Boy Toy Roy? Right now BTR thinks that he is an insider, someone who is bonded with PL, someone PL would never cross, seemingly totally ignoring what PL did to his own parents. The lad truly appears to be PL's toy, his pawn.

Anyway, don't you imagine Roy is trying desperately to get an NAA right now? CRT is being appropriately discreet about releasing information, so there's no real blow-by-blow reporting. The last update I saw from CRT was that they had requested proof of ownership of the marina from QMP2 (is that PLT now, I lost track?) just to open the door and say g'day to Roy. Apparently CRT also recognizes Roy's Boy Toy status as they have made it clear that they will be requiring much more than his autograph to grant a new NAA.

I doubt CRT will approve anything at PLM that allows PL to remain a thorn in their side, which would seem to mean that Steadman is either going to have to dump PL or sell the marina to someone else.

I thought riparian rights didn't apply to canals?

Back on topic.

Has there been an exodus today?

Or are the residents still following the "advice" of PL and ignoring the threat by CaRT?had more staff

There are certainly more spaces today than this time last week. The boats the marina had on brokerage have gone, we've been told to Sawley and Crick. A number of boats have moved to a marina on the T&M and about 12 have made bookings at a marina on the Cov, and apparently quite a few are waiting to see what happens next week but have already made enquiries elsewhere.

The café had more staff than customers at lunchtime.

There are certainly more spaces today than this time last week. The boats the marina had on brokerage have gone, we've been told to Sawley and Crick. A number of boats have moved to a marina on the T&M and about 12 have made bookings at a marina on the Cov, and apparently quite a few are waiting to see what happens next week but have already made enquiries elsewhere.

Are there any unlicenced boats you've noticed in the marina? These are the ones who must be planning to stay on regardless.

And I doubt CRT will let them out onto the cut anyway.

MtB

You are apparently on site, have you had an opportunity to talk with any of the folks who bought the long-term leases? Those are the people who are between a rock and a hard spot. Do you stay at PLM to try to protect your lease rights, or do you get out while you can? I suppose a lot depends on if the moorer planned on doing any cruising this year.

CRT removed somewhere around 20 on-line moorings in the local vicinity as per the NAA with QMP. Now that that NAA no longer exists, but in recognition of the fact that a new NAA might soon take its place, CRT should re-open those moorings, on a temporary basis, to those displaced from PLM. That would help alleviate some of this inconvenience for some of the displaced moorers and provide CRT with some income while the PLM thing is sorted out. If/when PLM is re-opened, the on-line moorings could be immediately closed again so that CRT would be in compliance with that part of its side of the NAA.

Are there any unlicenced boats you've noticed in the marina? These are the ones who must be planning to stay on regardless.

And I doubt CRT will let them out onto the cut anyway.

MtB

I haven't noticed any additional unlicenced boats, although there are usual one or two anyway.

You are apparently on site, have you had an opportunity to talk with any of the folks who bought the long-term leases? Those are the people who are between a rock and a hard spot. Do you stay at PLM to try to protect your lease rights, or do you get out while you can? I suppose a lot depends on if the moorer planned on doing any cruising this year.

CRT removed somewhere around 20 on-line moorings in the local vicinity as per the NAA with QMP. Now that that NAA no longer exists, but in recognition of the fact that a new NAA might soon take its place, CRT should re-open those moorings, on a temporary basis, to those displaced from PLM. That would help alleviate some of this inconvenience for some of the displaced moorers and provide CRT with some income while the PLM thing is sorted out. If/when PLM is re-opened, the on-line moorings could be immediately closed again so that CRT would be in compliance with that part of its side of the NAA.

I know 4 or 5 people who have long-term leases and their understanding of the matter is that, regardless of who the new "landlords" are they should honour the leases. This was stipulated on sale of the lease. However, taking PL's "dishonourable behaviour" to date into account, a couple are a little "doubtful" (their words).

Even if the leases are honoured any leaseholders who want to cruise are going to have to take their boat out pretty sharpish and then pay for additional moorings elsewhere, or forgo trips out for the foreseeable. A lose/lose even if the leases are safe. Although whilst the leases are "unuseable" I would suggest that the leaseholders do not pay their service charge. But they should pay the ground rent to safeguard the lease.

It is interesting that, of late, PL has not spent much time in the marina.

ETA - told today, but not from the horses mouth as it were, that the boat servicing co that rent the workshop from PL are hopping mad because customers have cancelled bookings as they can't be certain of getting in and out.

Edited by Phantasm

the boat servicing co that rent the workshop from PL are hopping mad because customers have cancelled bookings as they can't be certain of getting in and out.

Have they had their head in the sand? They are the ones who should in fact be phoning their customers and telling them they cant take any bookings, because the NAA was cancelled months ago, and there will be no access in after April 13.

I thought that was all black in white from Phil Spencer's email ?

Amazing.

• Greenie 1

I hope CRT didn't forget to send the workshop a copy of the email? You would think that even if they didn't get that, they'd have learned what was going on from some casual conversation with a boater or one of the marina staff at some point over the last 3 months? Few of the boaters have posted anything on this forum, but many more people read than post and I'm sure anyone moored there has heard of developments unless they've been away somewhere for months. I'd feel sorry for someone if they'd left their boat at Pillings while doing an expedition up the Zambezi and returned in June to find it stranded.

As I've said before I think, the workshop business will have a lease for the workshop, probably running a few years at a time, and it'll be either directly with the land owner (now said to be PLT according to RR), or a sub-lease from PLM. Either way, if their solicitor was competent the lease will include clauses guaranteeing them the facilities they need including access from the canal, and I reckon they'd be able to claim compensation from PLT or PLM for their loss of trade. Another avenue for them would be to terminate the lease citing the landlord's breach of contract, and cease operating at the site.

I feel for all the boaters forced into this situation. It was never anything they caused...and most probably have links to the area and don't want to move. I imagine once CRT block off the entrance...many will then have to make a decision, and probably leave in bulk in May....it's not looking good is it.

I hope CRT didn't forget to send the workshop a copy of the email? You would think that even if they didn't get that, they'd have learned what was going on from some casual conversation with a boater or one of the marina staff at some point over the last 3 months? Few of the boaters have posted anything on this forum, but many more people read than post and I'm sure anyone moored there has heard of developments unless they've been away somewhere for months. I'd feel sorry for someone if they'd left their boat at Pillings while doing an expedition up the Zambezi and returned in June to find it stranded.

As I've said before I think, the workshop business will have a lease for the workshop, probably running a few years at a time, and it'll be either directly with the land owner (now said to be PLT according to RR), or a sub-lease from PLM. Either way, if their solicitor was competent the lease will include clauses guaranteeing them the facilities they need including access from the canal, and I reckon they'd be able to claim compensation from PLT or PLM for their loss of trade. Another avenue for them would be to terminate the lease citing the landlord's breach of contract, and cease operating at the site.

Given johnlillies post-they will clearly have known about this the same time as everyone else. If they believed Paul Lillies assurances and bluster and are only just waking up to the reality, then more fool them.

It is a shame for them and the moorers, but plenty of notice has been given by CRT , who seem to have done all they can to communicate and allow new plans to be made.....whilst ensuring that this robbery does not go and happen again.

Given johnlillies post-they will clearly have known about this the same time as everyone else. If they believed Paul Lillies assurances and bluster and are only just waking up to the reality, then more fool them.

It is a shame for them and the moorers, but plenty of notice has been given by CRT , who seem to have done all they can to communicate and allow new plans to be made.....whilst ensuring that this robbery does not go and happen again.

It won't be as easy for the boat servicing business to find another canal side or marina based workshop. Rather than castigating them for foolishness, perhaps you can suggest an alternative location for their business. I imagine that rather than burying their heads in the sand as you suggest, they've been looking, but I suspect such openings are of the hen's teeth variety?

• Greenie 2

It won't be as easy for the boat servicing business to find another canal side or marina based workshop. Rather than castigating them for foolishness, perhaps you can suggest an alternative location for their business. I imagine that rather than burying their heads in the sand as you suggest, they've been looking, but I suspect such openings are of the hen's teeth variety?

According to the post above, they havn't been looking and have been taken by surprise with customers cancelling.

Probably another reason why paul lillie has been hiding in his new house in its gated community.

The workshop at Pillings Lock is operated by these guys:

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/directory/3311/clean-sailing-marine-ltd

There is also the following webpage about them being at Redhill Marina, Ratcliffe-on-soar:

http://www.clean-sailing.co.uk/

but I think they left there when they moved in to Pillings in Jan 2013, because that marina's website doesn't mention them.

Whether going back there is an option for them I wouldn't know.

I'd like to boast that I found the Clean Sailing Marine Ltd. directory entry on CRT's site using some fancy IT know-how, but I didn't, I just googled the company name and it was there in the results list.

How hard it is for them to find new premises, or a bit of vacant land next to a canal with the potential, I wouldn't know.

If I were in their shoes (working boots?) I'd start with a phone call to CRT, who ought to be sympathetic. And apologetic if Phil Spencer did forget to notify them!

From discussions with them last week (when I asked them if they thought they would be able to do some work for me in the middle to end of April) they told me :

..... it will all be sorted in time, the land transfers to PLT have now gone thru' , and, "as we speak PLT are well into the process of arranging the new NAA wirh CRT"

Just a thought, and John Lillie may be able to confirm, it was my understanding that all businesses operating on the marina had to be under the direct control of PLM/QMP etc. That means that, like the apartment, PL has no permission to lease out the buildings etc so could Clean Sailing claim that any lease they have with PL is null and void?

I'd like to boast that I found the Clean Sailing Marine Ltd. directory entry on CRT's site using some fancy IT know-how, but I didn't, I just googled the company name and it was there in the results list.

How hard it is for them to find new premises, or a bit of vacant land next to a canal with the potential, I wouldn't know.

If I were in their shoes (working boots?) I'd start with a phone call to CRT, who ought to be sympathetic. And apologetic if Phil Spencer did forget to notify them!

I would normally suggest that a reputable, honest and trustworthy landlord should keep their clients fully appraised of the actual position, and, were there any doubt of an outcome, then would fully explore all possible eventualities with them.

I'm sure that will have happened here.

I would normally suggest that a reputable, honest and trustworthy landlord should keep their clients fully appraised of the actual position, and, were there any doubt of an outcome, then would fully explore all possible eventualities with them.

I'm sure that will have happened here.

clapping.gif