Dispute at Pillings

andy the hammer

Featured Posts

Magazine timetables being what they are, the ad was probably placed and paid for (no credit given?) weeks ago, but well after PL knew the CRT's intentions. I wonder whether PL has been repeating his version of past and future events so often that he now believes it? It might be possible if CSH and a few others around him are reluctant to tell him the reality, particularly as is seems that so far only a trickle of boats have left the marina. More might go over the next two weekends, after all if someone pays for a marina mooring it's because they'd rather be there, so they might as well enjoy it while they can. There's no harm in them planning to leave on Sat 12th April just in case some miracle happens to save them the bother.

Is he offering to crane in any trading boat? Depending on CRT's timetable for letting boats out, they may need their free mooring for a while until that opportunity arises.

Who are the band? I suggest it should feature Greg Lake, Mr Steadman on strings, Roy Rollings blowing his own trumpet, and PL on the fiddle.

Playing their latest hit no doubt - the A my Pond theme from Doctor Who.

It could be handy to top up the lake from time to time if the entrance is permanently sealed .At present it runs around the perimeter unconnected to the basin.

They'd probably need an Environment Agency licence to abstract or impound water from a watercourse.

They'd probably need an Environment Agency licence to abstract or impound water from a watercourse.

No doubt as the water may be polluted.although it does run into the Soar.

I understand the "cleansed "water from the Sewage treatment works adjacent to PLM (or does one say PLT now) runs into the brook as well

I very much doubt it will ever come to a permanent sealing off of the entrance. Once the CRT block it as announced, that will concentrate the minds of Steadman/PL/RR and the remaining boaters wonderfully, and I anticipate at least a partial resolution of the problem will emerge in perhaps a month or two. There are various possibilities, but it won't be a resolution which PL will be happy about.

This may have been confirmed before but who owns the water?

As in, if the water is owned by CRT, then could they drain the marina, if they planked it shut.?

I imagine they wouldn't but just a daft question

I know that chains have been metioned, but if they did board it up, could CRT pump back their water?

Is he offering to crane in any trading boat? Depending on CRT's timetable for letting boats out, they may need their free mooring for a while until that opportunity arises.

Who are the band? I suggest it should feature Greg Lake, Mr Steadman on strings, Roy Rollings blowing his own trumpet, and PL on the fiddle.

That's a greenie from me. Defiantly a chuckle

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1

so does the "cleansed" water from PLM's own sewage treatment plant.

Ah ..Yes .The special bacteria treatment!

Actually, bacteria, enzymes and biological filters play a big part in sewage treatment. Even with a simple bi-cameral treatment system, the liquid that comes out of the system is really quite clean. Although the liquid is "clean" as far as particulate matter is concerned, it is loaded with bacteria and germs and all kinds of nasty stuff and chlorination is necessary before the liquid can be released into a waterway.

The point is, don't ridicule the bacteria, they are, in fact, the primary cleaners of sewage.

This may have been confirmed before but who owns the water?

As in, if the water is owned by CRT, then could they drain the marina, if they planked it shut.?

I imagine they wouldn't but just a daft question

I know that chains have been metioned, but if they did board it up, could CRT pump back their water?

John Lillie has mentioned on several occasions that there were "stop planks" across the entrance to PLM that he personally removed on opening day. John has stated that the stop planks could be put back in place to seal off the marina.

Previous discussions on this thread seemed to indicate that the water belongs to CRT, but pumping the water from the marina would be a ghastly PR move IMHO. I would think that going to that extent would just be viewed as being punitive, petty, and uncaring about the boats left in the marina. Anyway, if the marina is sealed the water in it will evaporate and it will dry out in pretty short order just from evaporation.

Actually, bacteria, enzymes and biological filters play a big part in sewage treatment. Even with a simple bi-cameral treatment system, the liquid that comes out of the system is really quite clean. Although the liquid is "clean" as far as particulate matter is concerned, it is loaded with bacteria and germs and all kinds of nasty stuff and chlorination is necessary before the liquid can be released into a waterway.

The point is, don't ridicule the bacteria, they are, in fact, the primary cleaners of sewage.

John Lillie has mentioned on several occasions that there were "stop planks" across the entrance to PLM that he personally removed on opening day. John has stated that the stop planks could be put back in place to seal off the marina.

Previous discussions on this thread seemed to indicate that the water belongs to CRT, but pumping the water from the marina would be a ghastly PR move IMHO. I would think that going to that extent would just be viewed as being punitive, petty, and uncaring about the boats left in the marina. Anyway, if the marina is sealed the water in it will evaporate and it will dry out in pretty short order just from evaporation.

It would appear to be a requirement by BW/CRT that any new connection has the built in ability to be stanked off in emergency (to stop leaks etc.).

Whether this would extend to CRT using the boards provided by the marina in these circumstances would be an interesting possibility.

George ex nb Alton retired

It would appear to be a requirement by BW/CRT that any new connection has the built in ability to be stanked off in emergency (to stop leaks etc.).

Whether this would extend to CRT using the boards provided by the marina in these circumstances would be an interesting possibility.

George ex nb Alton retired

Moorers apart ..I did ask C&RT about the consequences of the specimen fish in the marina as a result of blockading the Marina..

It was confirmed that C&Rt's environmental boffins that the span of water would be sufficient to sustain the stock..

I'm not so sure though..That's why i mentioned the feeding of water from the brook..

I'm happy that the treatment works and PLM(PLT) bacteria treatment substance is safe.

In fact it is a greenie thing over here to use instead of flush toilets

re the planks, yes there were a complete set on site, but I am fairly certain some were "used" during marina construction for various purposes, and may not now be intact. ,Whether there are enough left of the original size to use at both ends (there were stop planks at either end of the narrow section of the entrance) is extremely unlikely.

re the planks, yes there were a complete set on site, but I am fairly certain some were "used" during marina construction for various purposes, and may not now be intact. ,Whether there are enough left of the original size to use at both ends (there were stop planks at either end of the narrow section of the entrance) is extremely unlikely.

How were the stop planks held in place?

Obviously, the easiest way to block the entrance is for PLM to place the original stop-planks in the existing recesses.

Otherwise, CRT will have suitable planks that can easily be cut to size on site.

Currently the CRT intention is to prevent access to the Marina, not to deny them water; they can leave out a top plank or two so that the Marina will remain level with the river but only a canoe could enter or exit.

CRT do not need to lock the planks in place, anyone to removing them to enable access could be subject to prosecution.

Surely a BW/CRT work boat tied across the entrance with the usual bit of blue string could easily drift off without any intervention.

I think CRT will probably need some sort of lock and chain arrangement or a well secured boat; if they just insert stop planks, it surely wouldn't be very difficult for someone to remove them undetected during the hours of darkness when no-one is there to see? The CRT might have a very strong suspicion that someone acting on instructions from PL did it, but that's not sufficient evidence for a prosecution if everyone denies knowledge. Somehow I can't imagine PL himself out there at night doing it.

If they omit the top planks, maybe Piilings Lock could go into the punt hire business? You only need about 9" depth as far as I remember, especially if there are no passengers. They could get on/off from the towpath. I haven't heard of people punting on canals; is it permitted and does a punt need a licence? I've taken a punt through locks on the Thames, but I would expect safety problems (a) in all but the shortest tunnels and (B) from water coming over the side from boat wash. The latter was a nuisance from speeding cruisers, we had to get a passenger busy with the bailing pan sometimes.

Maybe Pillings Lock could be provided with a special top plank with a few holes to let water through but block canoes etc.

I think CRT will probably need some sort of lock and chain arrangement or a well secured boat; if they just insert stop planks, it surely wouldn't be very difficult for someone to remove them undetected during the hours of darkness when no-one is there to see? The CRT might have a very strong suspicion that someone acting on instructions from PL did it, but that's not sufficient evidence for a prosecution if everyone denies knowledge. Somehow I can't imagine PL himself out there at night doing it.

If they omit the top planks, maybe Piilings Lock could go into the punt hire business? You only need about 9" depth as far as I remember, especially if there are no passengers. They could get on/off from the towpath. I haven't heard of people punting on canals; is it permitted and does a punt need a licence? I've taken a punt through locks on the Thames, but I would expect safety problems (a) in all but the shortest tunnels and (cool.png from water coming over the side from boat wash. The latter was a nuisance from speeding cruisers, we had to get a passenger busy with the bailing pan sometimes.

Maybe Pillings Lock could be provided with a special top plank with a few holes to let water through but block canoes etc.

I recall an article some time ago in which Mr Lillie junior was quoted as accepting that CRT occupied the legal and moral high ground but that certain of the moorers at the marina regarded CRT as the "devil incarnate" and were contemplating some kind of action to prevent the marina being closed off. I can no longer find this article and wonder if there has been some historical revisionism going on in the waterway press.

Edited by tupperware

I haven't heard of people punting on canals; is it permitted and does a punt need a licence? etc.

I had a punt on the K and A in the late 60's when I was a postgrad student at Bath University. Kept it outside the George at Bathampton. I have happy memories of loading up with home brewed beer and punting down to Sydney Gardens. No licence, but this was long before restoration.

On punts: Any boat powered or not, is required to have a licence on CaRT waters.

On the subject of stanking off the marina. The marina itself was ordered to carry out this work by the court. It is only the failure of them to comply with the order of the court that has brought CaRT along to to do it for them, (And no doubt issue an invoice for the work). It would be poetic justice if CaRT used PLM's own stop planks to stank off the marina from the waterway.clapping.gif