Warm Clothing Reccomendations

Woodstock

Featured Posts

Hi- After seeing CarlT's tip for the cheap hat- We bought one and its well worth the money.

In the last 2 months, I've bought 2 reasonably priced items of clothing that I would reccomend:-

-Karrimor ladies winter walking trousers from Sports Direct:These are like combats but lined with fleece. They are really warm and have been a blessing when walking the dog over the last week

-The second item is a Mountainlife Extreme Windproof Fleece- I must admit I didn't know you could get windproof fleeces- Its a different firmer material and all seams are double stitched, the design is good as the back is slightly slower keeping the lower back warmer and also the collar is really comfy and warm around the neck. Again, I've worn this a lot now and its kept me warm

I wear whatever I want underneath, usually just a few layers of normal clothes, then stick my military issue Gortex jacket and trousers over the top. These are both waterproof and windproof and can probably be picked up off eBay for about a tenner

Hi Junior- Gortex is great. I'm on the look out for a new jacket- but Branded gortex seems expensive and the army ones I see are all camouflage ones. I don't want camouflage

Do you know if and where I could get a plain army one at a decent cost- a tenner would be great but I can stretch a bit- Thanks

Hi Junior- Gortex is great. I'm on the look out for a new jacket- but Branded gortex seems expensive and the army ones I see are all camouflage ones. I don't want camouflage

Do you know if and where I could get a plain army one at a decent cost- a tenner would be great but I can stretch a bit- Thanks

Sadly I don't, mine is camouflage. In my time in the forces I never saw Gortex that wasn't, although they do have 3 different types of camouflage.

I have a comment on this from experience.

Whatever you chose...think about how to get it off !!...

Having fallen in a 10 foot deep marina...and finding myself 'almost glued' to the bottom in the mud ...INSTANTLY..it's worth considering !

I suppose it's difficult to find warm yet light and easily removable articles in case you fall in. The simplest answer is the best one, wear a life jacket or equivalent.

I should add our children do but I am happy to take the risk and go without.

If we mitigated every risk we would do very little, but point taken

Ex army and navy store? There is a very good one near QE hospital in Birmingham, few hundred yards from canal if you're ever passing through.

SWMBO bought some winter lined trousers in Keswick in November. The lining is a lightweight polyester rather than fleece, so I was sceptical. They worked so well that I've bought myself a pair of Cragghoppers Basecamp Winter Lined with a similar lining. Seem good and, at £24 from Go Outdoors, cantreallytell go wrong.

Not for a tenner you won't.

the Karrimoor stuff in sportsdirect is really cheap and nasty, nothing like What it used to be. It don't last long.

It's interesting how so many quality producers of the past have decided to allow mass production of cheap products under their name, diluting their brand. Karrimor used to be top quality gear.

Edited by blackrose

It's interesting how so many quality producers of the past have decided to allow mass production of cheap products under their name, diluting their brand. Karrimor used to be top quality gear.

It was brought out by Sportsdirect and production transferred to a China sweatshop

Hi- After seeing CarlT's tip for the cheap hat- We bought one and its well worth the money.

In the last 2 months, I've bought 2 reasonably priced items of clothing that I would reccomend:-

-Karrimor ladies winter walking trousers from Sports Direct:These are like combats but lined with fleece. They are really warm and have been a blessing when walking the dog over the last week

-The second item is a Mountainlife Extreme Windproof Fleece- I must admit I didn't know you could get windproof fleeces- Its a different firmer material and all seams are double stitched, the design is good as the back is slightly slower keeping the lower back warmer and also the collar is really comfy and warm around the neck. Again, I've worn this a lot now and its kept me warm

One of the warmest items of clothing I have is a Swedish army surplus 3/4 length coat. The coat is wind proof and keeps out the rain. If the outside temperature is above zero it can be a bit warm to wear. I kid you not. The quality is very good and was just under £20 if I recall.

Ex army and navy store? There is a very good one near QE hospital in Birmingham, few hundred yards from canal if you're ever passing through.

T.W. Ryder Ltd. They've got some great gear in there, last time I was in there it was like walking into Alladin's cave!

I've used 'Paramo' for years now, not the cheapest but very good, a bit warm in summer rain but great in winter, had my waterproof coat for about 18 years and still going strong and that's Lake District walking as well as boating, highly recommend.

One of the warmest items of clothing I have is a Swedish army surplus 3/4 length coat. The coat is wind proof and keeps out the rain. If the outside temperature is above zero it can be a bit warm to wear. I kid you not. The quality is very good and was just under £20 if I recall.

Strangely enough we were in Waterside Antiques in Ely today and they have Swedish military parkas in their military clothing section for £10. Aparantly the stall owner bought a container load by mistake.

Also leather gloves for £10 We will now be warm this winter.

Edited by Loddon

For truly civilised winter boating, a motorbike electrically heated jacket takes some beating, 12V at about 3A, so easy to power. Just rememeber to unplug when getting off to do a lock. Gerbing kit is not cheap, but can be too hot even in biting winter wind, so a controller is more than useful