Most 12v efficient music playing device

Bongo

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a stereo set up that takes the least amount of juice from the batteries? I know car stereos arn't the best option, but is it using less power to keep a laptop charged? Or cutting the 12-240v converter from the cable of an iPod dock speaker and wiring it into the leisure battery circuit? is using "spotify" (online music website) through a laptop & Internet dongle going to use less power than digital radio on a car stereo??

I'm about to replace a car stereo & not great speakers with ...??? The best sound with least power consumption, any tips much appreciated!

Yeah, a small dedicated MP3 player and active speakers will probably be least power-consuming. Of course, its all highly dependent on how loud you play the music, or how much the bass is turned up (this really draws the current, more than the higher range). I have a car stereo in the boat because its easier for radio and MP3 playing.

I use Spotify on my phone, streaming through a Bluetooth speaker with an internal battery. It runs for around 20 hours on a one hours 240v charge. Works for me. I have a better system available but for day to day use phone + Bluetooth speaker is fine.

I've just bought a Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth Speaker. It comes with a 240v charger, but there is an optional 12V cable available from Bose for about £27. I have one of Kogans 12V cables that fits, and these are only about £9.

The speaker is just short of £170, but the sound is quite amazing - I can't stop listening to it, and my alternative is a Sony car stereo system with a couple of Kef Egg speakers.

It runs for about 5+ hours on a full charge. I'm currently using it to listen to the TV, plugged into the power supply. I've not even considered how much power it uses when charging, so it can't be much.

I have a Roberts duologic dab using a variable voltage converter 12v to 7.5 to power it. There's a 3.5mm line in socket to play mp3 from smartphone. Last freeplay dab would only play fm on battery, duologic is far more efficient, runs dab for several hours on internal bats (replaceable rechargeable, not wired in.) .mono sound good, also has a line out to get dab radio stereo thru powered speakers.

How about a 240v digital tv playing any radio station through your inverter. Does that draw too much from the battery? Even with the engine running on moving!!

We've been using that more and more, our TV is 12v direct though. (A 30 inch Cello) The dab radio likes to be outside to listen to music, or at least the aerial does or near a porthole, not much good in this weather, but we can get the same stations on freeview, sound quality not quite as good though through tv, but it's a decent TV with decent speakers so not too bad at all.

I also have a nice pair of Logitech laptop speakers, I keep meaning to try them in the TV Brilliant speakers for the lappy though.

Edited by Julynian

Pre-amped Alpine car stereo has been going strong on my old tub for the last 6 years. No probs and produces a beautiful sound! Also agree a 240v tv through the inverter will equal it; though I'm not a fan of storing media digitally - the beauty of packaging and the physicality of DVD's and CD's will always win through for me (similar tapes and VHS!). It's like comparing an Ordnance Survey map and a Satnav/GPS.

I've just bought a Bose Soundlink Mini Bluetooth Speaker. It comes with a 240v charger, but there is an optional 12V cable available from Bose for about £27. I have one of Kogans 12V cables that fits, and these are only about £9.

The speaker is just short of £170, but the sound is quite amazing - I can't stop listening to it, and my alternative is a Sony car stereo system with a couple of Kef Egg speakers.

It runs for about 5+ hours on a full charge. I'm currently using it to listen to the TV, plugged into the power supply. I've not even considered how much power it uses when charging, so it can't be much.

I'll second that - Just bought one and the sound is amazing for the size.

I bought a rechargeable battery for my Pure DAB radio - sounds excellent, is compact, and has aux input for mp3s from my iPhone / laptop etc. It lasts about 10-15 hours on a charge (for me over a month of 1 hour a day, 3 days a week). Charge it when I'm going along or sunny day and the solar is producing a lot of power.

The laptop is probably the least efficient way. A car stereo may not be all that bad; I know ours (an old Sony) is fairly efficient; stay away from digital (DAB) tuners though.

Why? Most, if not all, digital radios I know have FM too. The one I had in the car (and is now on the boat) will switch to an FM signal if the DAB drops (obviously will only work for DAB stations with an equivalent FM service).

Logitech S715i

Comes with both 12v & 240v chargers.

Dock your iPod or plug in an mp3 or other such device

Very good battery, lasts about 7 hours at a sensible volume.

Draws very little on the 12v and is louder than on battery.

Had mine over a year, good kit.

Cheers

Bill

Just been searching myself and found this DAB/FM and Bluetooth radio/speaker that some may find of interest.. (Can be used from a rechargeable battery).

http://viewquest.co.uk/index.php/shop/hepburn-bluetooth-speaker-with-dab-and-fm.html#

29264_5_.jpg

We have a DAB pure tempus 1

These have a 12v DC jack plug, no batteries required. There seem to be very few 12v DC Dabs available. I note these are quite cheap now, they are superb quality though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Tempus-1-DAB-Radio-in-Wood-/161175814333?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radios&hash=item2586d3c0bd

Edited by Julynian

We have a DAB pure tempus 1

These have a 12v DC jack plug, no batteries required. There seem to be very few 12v DC Dabs available. I note these are quite cheap now, they are superb quality though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Tempus-1-DAB-Radio-in-Wood-/161175814333?pt=UK_AudioVisualElectronics_PortableAudio_Radios&hash=item2586d3c0bd

It's the bluetooth ability the reason I'm looking at it, plus points is that it looks better than the Pure. Haven't seen a review for what it sounds like yet tho.

It's the bluetooth ability the reason I'm looking at it, plus points is that it looks better than the Pure. Haven't seen a review for what it sounds like yet tho.

True and a good point. I do like the retro looking units, I saw a load in PC world the other week. I'll stick with what we've got for now though, just had a shocking vets bill laugh.png

True and a good point. I do like the retro looking units, I saw a load in PC world the other week. I'll stick with what we've got for now though, just had a shocking vets bill laugh.png

I'm tempted to go with this VQ Hepburn, they didn't have any in the Apple Store so will try PC World (although I dislike buying anything from PCW!)

VQ also do a nice "handbag" version...

BARDOT%20(1).jpg