30%

Sir Nibble

Featured Posts

Mentioned it in another thread but in recognition of our contribution to the waterways I am going to put signs in my boat windows that just say "30%". I wonder if lots of us were to do the same would it send a message that boaters are aware and watching. might it not also provoke questions and raise the boater profile by the answers. Just an Idea but I shall wear my 30% with pride.

But isn't the 30% just from our licences? We all pay taxes, which fund the government grant, so what is the real number?

Plus the income from property that would not be there if there were no boaters. Things like marina connection fees, rent from boatyards and other canal-side operators and so on. Figures on other threads suggested boaters may well be responsible for more CaRT income than the government and in fact over 50% of income.

Naturally as most of us are not forensic accountants we will never know the true figure and that's the way BW and now CaRT like it.

ISTR the 30% is the sum of the figure boaters pay out directly to CRT for their licences and rent for CRT owned moorings.

All the other stuff, pub rents, boatyard rents, marina connection fees are generated as a direct result of the presence of boats and are in addition to the 30%

MtB

Yes I like the 30% label

I think if sufficient boats started to stick the label in their windows then other people might ask what it was about and it opens the door for conversations with people who may not otherwise appreciate the situation

Who can get some proper window stickers made up? bung them on eBay on a buy it now and watch them fly

• Greenie 1

But isn't the 30% just from our licences? We all pay taxes, which fund the government grant, so what is the real number?

Given that the whole working population and commercial operations pay tax the amount the tax boaters pay in isolation will pale into insignificance and add next to nothing to the percentage.

As others have suggested there will be more in marina connection fees and boater dependant business. I don't think you can claim canal side pubs in that though as they will have a significant amount of non boater customer base.

Edited by churchward

Surely doing a "Dodswell" should become an established boaters phrase !

You mean like when "grumbles" and "mumbles" are actually complaints let me see if I can find the email!!!

very few if any I would suggest. There is just not enough people even with hirers to sustain a pub all year round.

I can think of a number of pubs that do not bother to open at Lunch Time during Winter. The Junction @ Norbury Junction for example rely completly on the income generated during the summer to see them through the winter

Edited by cotswoldsman

very few if any I would suggest. There is just not enough people even with hirers to sustain a pub all year round.

But how many people would go to a pub beside a stagnant stinky ditch?

But how many people would go to a pub beside a stagnant stinky ditch?

Either enough to keep it open or as we have seen the pub closes. If it is in an area where there is general tourism or other passing trade then it can thrive as long as it takes enough as the tourist season is not that long.

I think it is a serious over rating of how much boaters spend in pubs around the country that they can claim they keep them open. The trade may be missed of course if it went away in some places but other perhaps not.

Mentioned it in another thread but in recognition of our contribution to the waterways I am going to put signs in my boat windows that just say "30%". I wonder if lots of us were to do the same would it send a message that boaters are aware and watching. might it not also provoke questions and raise the boater profile by the answers. Just an Idea but I shall wear my 30% with pride.

I think you may well find that lots of passers-by might be of the opinion that boaters should pay much more than thirty per cent, and that we're actually getting a pretty good deal.

• Greenie 4