Pay and display car parks

sueb

Featured Posts

The cynic in me suggests that it was removed because it was a disincentive for walkers to visit the canal and CaRT feel they do not need the cash because the passive boaters generate about half their income. Logic suggests that possibly the contract for machine and enforcement may well have cost more than the machine took.

Perhaps the new company will soon get round to translating "No overnight rollover" into English. Does it mean that you are not allowed to park there at night? And if so, why not?

I think it means that if you turn up at say 4:00 pm on one day, you can't stay until 4:00pm the next day but have to buy a new ticket in the morning.

20130822_160739_zps06dd5593.jpg

perhaps the car park is being taken over by this company and new machines will appear soon.

CRT do need to get APCOA to sort out the signage. £60 if you park overnight but does this still apply if you pay the "longer term parking rate" by phone? If not how do blue badge holders avoid the penalty?

'No overnight parking' does confuse me slightly .... when does an overnight start ? We recently drove up to Scotland and stopped at a carpark about 2am to nap before continuing ... ... the sign said 'No overnight parking' - would we have been guilty or not? As it happened we left shortly after sunrise so I doubt anyone noticed but I'd love to know for future reference

'No overnight parking' does confuse me slightly .... when does an overnight start ? We recently drove up to Scotland and stopped at a carpark about 2am to nap before continuing ... ... the sign said 'No overnight parking' - would we have been guilty or not? As it happened we left shortly after sunrise so I doubt anyone noticed but I'd love to know for future reference

It doesn't say "no overnight parking", it says "no overnight rollover". Without further explanation, I'd say a "day" runs midnight to midnight so, if you turn up at 11pm, and want to park until say, 3pm a couple of days later, you would buy a £1.50 ticket when you arrive, then another at a minute past midnight an hour later, and again the following night, and so on.

If I received a bill for £60 in these circumstances, (i.e. i had misunderstood the deal), I would write to them suggesting I don't owe it and they should take me to court, or admitting that I owed something, and enclose £1.50 for each day not paid, plus a few quid for their admin.. It would then be for them to decide whether to pursue it in court. Alternatively, I might ignore it and see what happened.

It doesn't say "no overnight parking", it says "no overnight rollover".

It does say no overnight stays. Point 5 in the list of things you can be fined for.

From my experience of railway station car parks and night shifts, I'd say that no overnight rollover means that your ticket runs out at midnight rather than lasting 24 hours. But as you're not supposed to park overnight anyway, it makes little difference.

Edited by adam1uk

It does say no overnight stays. Point 5 in the list of things you can be fined for.

From my experience of railway station car parks and night shifts, I'd say that no overnight rollover means that your ticket runs out at midnight rather than lasting 24 hours. But as you're not supposed to park overnight anyway, it makes little difference.

How did I miss that? Sorry!

simple really

Park

Don't buy a ticket

get a parking charge notice

Don't pay or even acknowledge it

Receive numerous reminders to pay

Ignore everything

Finally they give up having wasted time and money trying to illegally extort money from you!!

ONLY LOCAL AUTHORITY carparks and public highways have a legal right to Charge for parking!

.....even if you hit the jackpot.

But seriously, perhaps "per calendar day" would have been clearer.

Indeed.

Because, as the sign says, they're exempt, though it does not quite clarify from what!

If not how do blue badge holders avoid the penalty?

It does appear that the sign is, really fairly poor! And its already been 'improved' once with a large sticker.

You mean that NCP have been kidding people all these years? I hae ma doots.

NCP have you till you pay to exit the car park.

If you dont pay, you dont leave.

non local authority Pay and Display car parks can ask you for money but have no legal right to enforce payment if you decline. Same for motorway services parking who state you only have a couple of hours parking then risk a fine.

They will however use clamping companies to enforce non payment

clamping has been outlawed - use any means to remove a clamp preferably do as much damage to it as possible so they cant reuse it all they can do is claim against you for the damage again they will be very unlikely to try as you can counter claim for false impounding of your vehicle.

ONLY LOCAL AUTHORITY carparks and public highways have a legal right to Charge for parking!

The law is a hell of a lot more complicated than that, and relates mainly to the law of contract, as in, is the contract reasonable and clear, and did you know you were entering into it. Those three factors are a matter of degree rather than fact in many cases.

Recovery of unpaid charges is a civil matter and the first test will be contractual. This is true even in a local authority car park, but local authorities have wider powers of enforcement available to them.

Parking on street is a different matter, as it covers by traffic regulation orders and traffic laws. The rules under which parking can be charged for a quite different, and relate to enforcement of restrictions rather than revenue-raising. An on-highway parking offence, including non-payment, is a criminal offence except where parking has been decriminalised, which is most urban areas. Even if parking is decriminalised, this only applies to traffic regulation order offences. Causing an obstruction and moving vehicle offences remain police matters.