Leo No2

Featured Posts

Does anyone know anything about the former working boat Pegasus (in BW Blue/Yellow livery) which seems to be abandoned about half a mile upstream of Kingston Bridge on the Thames? There's a butty inside her - I can't see the name. Sadly some of the more modern boats around her seem to have foundered and would be a shame for Pegasus and the butty to go the same way. I came past about half an hour ago

I am not in a position to do anything about them but thought it was such a shame to see them getting worse and worse each time I pass by. I can't see Pegasus mentioned on the HNBC website.

I believe, but could be wrong, that these boats have had offers put on them by forum members, but the offers have been turned down. Much like Edgware and Balham on the GU

Its a shame if the current owners just leave them as a one day project!

Thanks guys - such a shame when they seem to be in a salvageable condition at the moment.

When first purchased from its last owner in the north west and taken down south, Pegasus was immaculate and in prize winning condition. Sad to see her now.

George ex nb Alton retired

When first purchased from its last owner in the north west and taken down south, Pegasus was immaculate and in prize winning condition. Sad to see her now.

George

How very sad - Pegasus is sitting with a very pronounced list to the left with the front quite high and almost out of the water.

I'll take a picture on the way back a post it here.

George

How very sad - Pegasus is sitting with a very pronounced list to the left with the front quite high and almost out of the water.

I'll take a picture on the way back a post it here.

PEGASUS has been 'laid up' at this location for several years, and it is a real shame as it was the subject of an Ian Kemp restoration in 1989 at Ellesmere Port. Prior to this I remember PEGASUS as a B.W.B. maintenance boat based on the Coventry Canal at Hartshill.

Does anyone know anything about the former working boat Pegasus (in BW Blue/Yellow livery) which seems to be abandoned about half a mile upstream of Kingston Bridge on the Thames? There's a butty inside her - I can't see the name. Sadly some of the more modern boats around her seem to have foundered and would be a shame for Pegasus and the butty to go the same way. I came past about half an hour ago

I am not in a position to do anything about them but thought it was such a shame to see them getting worse and worse each time I pass by. I can't see Pegasus mentioned on the HNBC website.

Taken in 2003:

047%20Kingston%2022nd%20June%202003-L.jp

Taken in 2008:

Kingston%2024th%20May%202008%202-L.jpg

James Bills posted a photo on Facebook yesterday of a boat sunk on the Thames, with what I assume is the counter of 'Pegasus' on the right hand side. Lets hope she doesn't go the same way. Obviously an owner can do what they want with their own craft, but it is indeed sad to see her deteriorate.

Dan

I believe, but could be wrong, that these boats have had offers put on them by forum members, but the offers have been turned down. Much like Edgware and Balham on the GU

Its a shame if the current owners just leave them as a one day project!

Isn't this just typical of folk who leave perfectly sea-worthy vessels to rot sometimes whilst even living on them.

I guess its their prerogative, and whilst mooring fee's are paid no-one else's business - just seems very sad since its so common.

The other issue is that eventually the boat is worth so little that fee's aren't paid and the vessel is left to (eventually) sink.

If I remember from passing on Saturday the sunken boat is/was a Thames tug that had been in tne same group for years. It always looked as if it had hit a low bridge as the windscreen frame was mangled.

just checked you can see it in the second to last pic

Edited by Loddon

Anyone know what the butty is?

It looks like BULLFINCH to me, built in about 1990 by Les Allen (B.W.B. index 49056). If I remember correctly BULLFINCH was paired with the Les Allen built motor BULLDOG and tied in Braunston Marina for years selling ropes / fenders e.t.c..

edit - add B.W.B. index number.

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

I do occasionally see a man pumping water out of Pegasus. I have been passing it regularly for at least a decade. It seems to me to be doing more than just listing, I think it looks like it has twisted along it's length. Sad, why would anyone buy a depreciating asset, pay to maintain it, get no use out of it, and ultimately see it's value reduce to less than zero? It doesn't make any sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can't see any twist, but a photo cannot tell the whole story. Looks fine in post No.8 by Tim Lewis - the shot taken in 2003.

I was told by a previous owner that she would only go one way through the Cheshire locks due to a banana shape which had to match the shape of Rumps in order to pass. I forget whether it was uphill or downhill but to go the other way meant a diversion via the Shroppie.

• 3 months later...

It looks like BULLFINCH to me, built in about 1990 by Les Allen (B.W.B. index 49056). If I remember correctly BULLFINCH was paired with the Les Allen built motor BULLDOG and tied in Braunston Marina for years selling ropes / fenders e.t.c..

edit - add B.W.B. index number.

I'm almost 100% sure that it is Bullfinch. In late 1990 I first saw it at Valencia Wharf as it was just finished and ready to leave Allen's yard, and they were getting ready to start building my boat.

Bullfinch took longer to build than expected, because, as Bob Allen told me, they built the stern three times before he was happy with the shape and was prepared to allow it leave the yard. That says a great deal about his standards of work and commitment to detail.