I have a stupid question...

Featured Posts

Thanks. Under what circumstances would I use it?

To do an oil change. 1000x easier than getting the bolt out the sump and draining it into a container. Ours is positioned so you can get a 5l oil container under it (if the acoustic enclosure wasn't in the way....)

• Greenie 1

It's the suction pump to empty the sump of oil.

Regards

Pete

Frankly, I doubt that.

Mainly because it looks to me like an ordinary brass water lift pump as sold by AquaFax. Secondly because the black rubber inlet hose doesn't look as though it goes down to the sump to connect into the drain tapping, and thirdly because it is not something fitted by Beta marine when they marinised the engine or it would have been painted red like all the rest of it. Therefore, I deduce, is a later DIY add-on.

That wasn't much help. was it?

:D

MtB

Frankly, I doubt that.

Mainly because it looks to me like an ordinary brass water lift pump as sold by AquaFax. Secondly because the black rubber inlet hose doesn't look as though it goes down to the sump to connect into the drain tapping, and thirdly because it is not something fitted by Beta marine when they marinised the engine or it would have been painted red like all the rest of it. Therefore, I deduce, is a later DIY add-on.

biggrin.png

MtB

I agree with your last line "Therefore, I deduce, is a later DIY add-on." but it all looks right apart from the mounting, I even have the same green hose on mine when I use it, the rest of the time I take it off.

Where does the green hose goto ?

It just hangs down into the part of the bilge under the engine. The hose has oil residue inside it so it has something to do with oil :/

Edited by Delta9

Frankly, I doubt that.

biggrin.png

MtB

Nah, it looks just like the one on my Beta (they dont paint then red you fule!) only someone's replaced the silly plastic clips with some proper ones and moved it to a different place. The green hose will not go anywhere except into the old oil container

As a related aside, I worked on one recently on a mitsubishi k3 which would only pump cold oil - viscosity related. On stripping I found that the rubber seal was extremely perished and that they can't be found for sale. I fabricated one from an outsize washer and it's grand again. It was a beautiful brass and copper pump which I wanted to polish up but didn't have time to.

follow the pipe down and see it if connects to the engine sump. place a container under the loose pipe and pump. some engines have an extended pipe in the sump to pull the oil from the bottom. Found that on a Perkins 4107 after removing the sump.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

some of these have a tap/valve below the pump and will do nothing unless the tap is opened first by turning it so the handle is in line with the pipe

it looks like that one doesn't

my Beta 90 has one,with a tap all painted red :rolleyes:

Although I'm fairly sure it is the sump pump, I'm with MtB in saying that in the picture it doesn't look like the black hose goes anywhere near the sump.

It might just be worth checking where that hose is attached to.

Frankly, I doubt that.

biggrin.png

MtB

It is for pumping out the sump. It is the same on my Beta engine although mine is a different model so in a different place.

Nah, it looks just like the one on my Beta (they dont paint then red you fule!) only someone's replaced the silly plastic clips with some proper ones and moved it to a different place. The green hose will not go anywhere except into the old oil container

They used to paint all the engines red. They still do paint engines red except the models built for the Narrowboat/ inland waterways market which are green.

Edited by churchward