Random people stepping on your boat? Two in one evening

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

I must confess we were once guilty of the crime. We needed to bow haul a friend's boat in a CRT mooring from one part to another and during the process stepping onto another boat was the easiest way.

I've often done this when bow hauling boats about.

I will always knock and ask permission but, if there was no answer, I would go ahead and walk the gunwales rather than having to flick the rope over the "roof furniture".

I have never been refused but, if the answer was "No" I would pole the boat around the obstruction.

I will always knock and ask permission but, if there was no answer, I would go ahead and walk the gunwales rather than having to flick the rope over the "roof furniture".

I have never been refused but, if the answer was "No" I would pole the boat around the obstruction.

I had the owner of a widebeam hire boat use my gunnels to help turn his boat . As far as I'm concerned if you really need to I don't think it's an issue between boaters to use anothers boat to help out in a situattion . The general public however , get orf my boat !

Again on a recent trip over a famous aquaduct( llangollen canal) we unfortunately timed our trip back across the aquaduct to coincide with 2 coaches of tourists arriving, one Japanese, lots of cameras, and another european. Not only did they get in the way of our ropes as we had to wait to cross and were holding on to ropes but they also blocked our view to see if it was clear. Then as we were crossing they were actually touching our boat and trying to stick their faces up to the windows.I went in and closed the curtains and then saw one think about stepping on the bow until he saw me and changed his mind! Yes it's a large (in more ways than one) tourist attraction but i am not part of it and would like people to remember their manners and respect my privacy!

Sorry that turned into a bit of a rantbiggrin.png

Of course you were part of it, you were on it! They don't differentiate.

And I am sure that several tourists "touching" your boat are going to do it no harm what so ever.

No wonder many foreign tourists think the British are insular and rude.

Stratford (the Avon one) moorings in the basin are popular with tourists. I haven't had them come on board uninvited, but once got a very excited family outside.

My boat name (Kwaheri) is Swahili and the visitors were from that part of East Africa. They asked for a photo - no problem, only too happy to oblige!

I have had quite a few photos taken already in my 2 months - I feel chuffed, not angry. Would not be pleased if someone came aboard without permission though.

Stratford (the Avon one) moorings in the basin are popular with tourists. I haven't had them come on board uninvited, but once got a very excited family outside.

My boat name (Kwaheri) is Swahili and the visitors were from that part of East Africa. They asked for a photo - no problem, only too happy to oblige!

We were in the Stratford on Avon basin last September and had several people ask if we minded them photograph each other beside our boat. Also a young Canadian chap who had never seen a narrow boat and asked if he could look inside. He loved it!!

Also had a number of people ask us how much for a trip. An Asian couple, when we explained that it was a private boat and our home, offered us a good amount if we would take them part way up the Hatton locks and were mystified when we declined!

We sat aboard a friends nb who we met on the Rochdale Summit crossing & watched 2 Japanese Girls have a photo shoot on the bow of our boat !

As they were doing no harm we didnt feel the need to shout or rush over - 10 mins later & probably 100 pics off they went.

Friends were disgruntled as they chose the cruiser for the pics !

Admit to clambering wet thru up the stern of a unhabited NB at Ratcliffe - It was the only way I could get out after helping a young lady out who had fallen in off her friends boat !

A group of female models once stepped on board our nb, no invitation and just walked into the boat, when I challenged them they didn't say anything but pushed me onto the bed and held me down and undressed me while at the same time stripping of themselves, they forced me to have sex with them all for several hours.

Bloody cheek.

• Greenie 1

Also had a number of people ask us how much for a trip. An Asian couple, when we explained that it was a private boat and our home, offered us a good amount if we would take them part way up the Hatton locks and were mystified when we declined!

I'm not surprised they were mystified.

I have often taken anyone who shows a bit of enthusiasm for a short cruise for free.

A group of female models once stepped on board our nb, no invitation and just walked into the boat, when I challenged them they didn't say anything but pushed me onto the bed and held me down and undressed me while at the same time stripping of themselves, they forced me to have sex with them all for several hours.

Bloody cheek.

You can get lotion to stop the chaffing and inevitable raw cheeks.

Bloody cheek.

Happens to me all the time.

Well not really.

In small doses I quite enjoy being part of a tourist attraction, if it were every day perhaps not.

This Monday we came up Hatton. It was very busy with lots of people on the lock side peering into the boat. I don't mind and as I moved out of one of the locks a woman with a young girl were peering into each window as it came past them, "look they've got a telly, oh look a kitchen, and a bathroom, look there's a bed" etc, quite sweet and they leaned that actually a NB in not that strange and it has all the normal stuff you expect of somewhere you can live. Got lots of questions from people which are fun to answer, but when one asked if we lived on the boat, and I responded that we lived in Solihull (which is not far from Hatton) that threw them!

Last Summer we went to Llangollen and on our return over that aqueduct (can work out how to spell it) we too coincided with a bus load of Japanese tourists, which in truth were a bit annoying.

Also in Stratford-upon-Avon we have not exactly had them on the boat, but down the pontoon taking pictures again Japanese It seems to me that Japanese culture does not not really respect people personal space, but no harm done so far.

I had a visit on Friday when moored at Lady Capels. Twenty something blond, head through the door - "just wanted to see what it was like. Often thought of living on a boat". Many responses came to mind, but she had her fella with her, and he was BIG.

Bloody cheek.

Then you wake up.

I also feel quite pleased when people take photos, it means they like your boat the best!

But getting on without permission is a step too far. Putting a rope or chain across the sterns a good idea though.

Bloody landlubbers :D

I wondered why your boat was rocking!

I have been asked on a few occasions while boating in London - "How much?" The first few times were quite perplexing, but the full text should read 'How much for a ride on your waterbus?' But they are always apologetic when I explain that I am not a waterbus operator!

I had hell of a job explaining that to a foreign gent and his family.

I had a big bloke leaning against the boat at paddington one morning. When I stuck my head out and asked if he was comfortable he nearly fell in the water he got such a shock! He apologised profusely, saying he didn't know anyone was onboard. I explained that these were our houses, and he had the good grace to say sorry again - lucky for me, he was really big lol

Taking on water just outside Coventry basin, watched by three very drunk eastern Europeans. The biggest decided that he wanted a pee and would do so in our loo! I physically stopped him from getting into the boat but had great difficulty in getting him off the counter. He spoke no English, was out of his brain and I (probably fortunately) couldn't reach a windlass to reinforce my message. Eventually the one who could speak English asked if I wanted his mate to leave and helped him to do so.

Once I was moored in Bristol Docks next to another narrow boat with lots of people looking at the boats and peering through windows, after about an hour the boat owner next to me put an A board next to his boat that said "50p to look around this boat" people came and paid him. Wish I had, had an A board

:)

That's why I was so embarrassed - because we didn't knock and ask. In our defence we'd just spent the weekend at these moorings and seen no one coming or going from the boat. When I stepped on it the curtains were still drawn and it had a very unoccupied look about it.

My subsequent conversation with the occupant revealed that yes he'd not been around all weekend, and now he was back he was catching up on sleep.

Lesson learned - I'll knock in future even if I'm fairly certain there's no one aboard.