Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, DShK said:

Is that true though? Carina has a wooden top and thus the other type of handrail. I have heard that the (interior?) cabin is all original...

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Carina is a Yarwoods / Northwich boat so would I believe have come with a steel cabin with those bar handrails on short upstands.

However many Yarwoods / Northwich boats had their steel cabins replaced in wood- my understanding is that the original cabins were unpopular because of severe condensation problems.

If Carina currently has a wooden cabin, I would expect it to have wooden handrails, with no holes in them.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Similar has happened to some on telegraph pole footsteps and slipped.

Again external staff bombarded with lurid safety instructions.

linesman01.jpg

OIP.jpg

One of the reasons I never had a wedding ring, likewise metal watch straps being a sparky 

• Greenie 2

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

One of the reasons I never had a wedding ring, likewise metal watch straps being a sparky 

Same as me, never worn any metal and only ever had Swatch plastic watches although I don't wear at all one now.

Tadworth had and still does have an original Yarwoods steel cabin. I never had a problem with the design of the handrail and always felt safer on her than on Alton which we were running at the same time. Found it useful for occasionally using a boat hook to pull her in.

8 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I saw Tadworth on the Thames in the summer. What a nice job they did with it ! 

Last time I had seen it was when Richard had it on the southern GU

Think she looking better now than ever certainly got very run down by the last owner.

10 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Think she looking better now than ever certainly got very run down by the last owner.

To be fair he did keep the original cabin on it which was good although it needed a lot of remedial work.

Not sure but I think it might have an original back cabin fit out in there which would be rather pleasant. 

break

The relatively interesting old cut down bantock with the riveted counter advertised by CBS on behalf of the CRT (S8).

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/boat/1976-narrowboat-bantock-9110961/

Formerly of Stinky bridge BoA. 

Edited by magnetman

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

To be fair he did keep the original cabin on it which was good although it needed a lot of remedial work.

Not sure but I think it might have an original back cabin fit out in there which would be rather pleasant. 

The internal cabin is much as we brought it from BWB except it didn’t have a table cupboard but a full height door and it had been used as hanging space. I found a table cupboard door on a bonfire at Thrupp, rescued it and it still there. The inside of the cabin when Andrew brought it was terrible and there was holes in the base of the cabin sides and wet wood which they replaced, the engine was rebuilt which is a PJ3 water cooled that came off a trinity house generator that only had 400 hours and it replaced a PD2 on 1979. I had it installed with a keel cooling pipe running round the stern but this had rotted away and it’s now direct water cooling.

• Greenie 1

On 02/11/2023 at 19:19, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking.

Carina is a Yarwoods / Northwich boat so would I believe have come with a steel cabin with those bar handrails on short upstands.

However many Yarwoods / Northwich boats had their steel cabins replaced in wood- my understanding is that the original cabins were unpopular because of severe condensation problems.

If Carina currently has a wooden cabin, I would expect it to have wooden handrails, with no holes in them.

I wasn't aware that they chopped of the metal cabins in favour of wooden ones! And actually, now that I look at it, this photo of what I presume to be Cedar from the 60s looks to have a wooden cabin!

image.jpeg.f037f0803e4c4a246907ca21a2da7459.jpeg

• Greenie 1

I wonder if the L&L shortboat Mersey (formerly named Arthur for a while) will survive. 

Needs major hull works. 

Now asking £20k which for a short boat with a full steel cabin and a Perkins Mc130 does seem a very low price. I have a suspicion this may have a condition that the hull works are carried out before the boat is removed, to help prevent the boat being another S8. 

Is it scrap? 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/yarwoods-short-boat-for-sale/731902

£20k is rather cheap! 

Who did the survey I wonder. 

I quite like the way the cabin maximises interior space without looking terribly ugly. 

28 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I wonder if the L&L shortboat Mersey (formerly named Arthur for a while) will survive. 

Needs major hull works. 

Now asking £20k which for a short boat with a full steel cabin and a Perkins Mc130 does seem a very low price. I have a suspicion this may have a condition that the hull works are carried out before the boat is removed, to help prevent the boat being another S8. 

Is it scrap? 

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/yarwoods-short-boat-for-sale/731902

£20k is rather cheap! 

Who did the survey I wonder. 

I quite like the way the cabin maximises interior space without looking terribly ugly. 

The description says the boat "has had major hull works completed to a high standard" but also "following a recent hull condition survey the hull will require some substantial fabrication before it is put back into the water". So which is it?

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The description says the boat "has had major hull works completed to a high standard" but also "following a recent hull condition survey the hull will require some substantial fabrication before it is put back into the water". So which is it?

Maybe the 'high standard' of hull works done were of a lower standard than the surveyor was looking for? 🙂

Maybe it should say 'finished to a high standard ages ago'. 

Its like saying 'this boat was new once'. 

I'm wondering if there might be another story here.

I know that the old GU butty 'Argus' was advertised for £5k by the same seller BUT I also know that it didn't sell for £5k because someone put a bid of £12k on it and did not get it. It sold for more than £12k. 

The low price does not necessarily indicate a selling price. I think you would find if you went up there and offered £20k you won't get the boat but your offer would be considered. 

Its either that or the CRT are carefully filtering who can and can not buy S8 boats. 

When the Environment Agency seized and sold a wide bean which had fouled Sunbury weir they stipulated that the buyer must provide proof of where it was going and what would be done with it. They would not allow it to just go back on the towpath where it originally came adrift from. 

Maybe a similar story with the CRT

23 hours ago, David Mack said:

It can be both.  The work that has been done is to a high standard but other areas will require attention.

43 minutes ago, DShK said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/478807852472469/permalink/2056464258040146/?sale_post_id=2056464258040146

Individual photos are a bit poor so need to look at the full set. Claims to be a 1924 FMC boat - doesn't look like one to me?

when was this advert - about 40 foot of the back of cormorant but stern is heavily altered and modern front end. was at braunston show a few years ago

Edited by spud

9 hours ago, David Mack said:

Does anyone know what happened to the front half?

Almost certainly scrapped.  BWB Northwich in the 1970s cut off the bows of a number of Josher motors to form motorised flats or “guniting boats.”  Theses included Columbia, England and Mullett (now called Russia) and Cormorant was possibly one of them.  In fact the Northwich depot were also quite keen on scrapping whole boats like Eagle because, it is said, the staff did private deals with the scrapman.

Paul

Edited by Paul H
  • Greenie 1