Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

The real Slough no longer has it's dropped gunwales, as seen recently on the permanent moorings at Stone.

Still has the "funnel" though.

Fair enough - it is a very good while since I last saw it - probably at Sawley, I think.

44 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Fair enough - it is a very good while since I last saw it - probably at Sawley, I think.

I must admit I'd got that used to it's distinctive look at Sawley I didn't recognise it at Stone.

I presume the slightly thin bottom has received some attention too.

I heard it sunk after being sold when a large piece of ballast was prised up to move.

2 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I must admit I'd got that used to it's distinctive look at Sawley I didn't recognise it at Stone.

I presume the slightly thin bottom has received some attention too.

I heard it sunk after being sold when a large piece of ballast was prised up to move.

I must admit I know little of the history, but do recall a lengthy debate, (probably on CWDF), when it was either acquired, (or perhaps about to be acquired), by someone who thought they could sort it out by having access to welders, but not welders who had any connection with boatbuilding. Thy sounded pretty clueless, so hopefully what they were planning for SLOUGH never happened.

I believe one ownership change put it in the hands of an ex-working batman, but who passed away.  I think I have that correctly.

16 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

but not welders who had any connection with boatbuilding. Thy sounded pretty clueless, so hopefully what they were planning for SLOUGH never happened.

They did most of what they wanted to do using reclaimed wood(pallets), and other traditional techniques.....It sank again near Nuneaton....presumably after which it changed hands again.

I'll be tempted by that one when I get confirmation that my aunt did leave me a five hundred grand legacy in her Will..

I have a suspicion the rumour is unfoundered (like my boats) but if it isn't then I could go there. 

It looks a bit narrow though. 

23 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I'll be tempted by that one when I get confirmation that my aunt did leave me a five hundred grand legacy in her Will..

I have a suspicion the rumour is unfoundered (like my boats) but if it isn't then I could go there. 

It looks a bit narrow though. 

It could easily be 7ft 1in...

4 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Cow Roast.

5 hours ago, DShK said:

Xebec for sale again on Norton canes website.

I just bought the Erewash butty Cedar from this thread :)

IMG_20231021_182104_859.jpg

Congratulations on your purchase …nice Butty 

• Love 1

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

Hint, if you carefully remove the blacking around the rear end, you will uncover the remnants of the original under rubbing strake painted roses and other artwork.

Interesting! Is that common or specific to this boat? She was owned by Seymour-roseblade at one point, who as far as I can tell did have her a bit more decorative.