Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Looks a bit like part of the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port did the last time we visited.

(I'll get my coat!....)

Nah, their Box Boat is much tidier than that one.

I think there's a fair chance that the third (wide) boat out is the TOM, which we were offered in 1965 but bought the EDITH instead, even though it was more expensive. £75 as against £50, if I remember correctly.

Tim

Boothstown, 1991

gallery_6938_2_74972.jpg

The only sizeable item recovered from the drained basin was a standard BR 16ton mineral wagon, from the middle . It had previously been part of a train of wagons set loose by vandals some way up the Manchester Collieries Railway. The wagon now resides at Astley Green Museum along with the remains of the

NCB motor tug Fred. No boats were saved from the drained basin.

Yes I think it is. If I remember correctly it had a big rubbing band on one side only but that might be my memory playing tricks on me. Tim Young might remember. The ferroconcrete yacht at the back was always just known as the Concrete Boat. Bedford Basin was home to a wonderful assortment of interesting boats.

It still is. We always slow down for a good nosey whenever we pass

Boothstown, 1991

gallery_6938_2_74972.jpg

Would I be correct in assuming this is where bridgewater marina is now?

• 2 weeks later...

Has this one appeared before?

Virginia Curry PDF linky for "Anvil".

Some "interesting" history....

The Lister engine was fitted in 1925.

There were not a lot of Lister JP3s around in 1925, so they must have got hold of a very early prototype, I think! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, all well covered, except probably the two ones at Bates, (who are advertising several other wooden boats here, but not necessarily as the seller, I think).

I think you would need very deep pockets for either of the two you have picked!

Yes, all well covered, except probably the two ones at Bates, (who are advertising several other wooden boats here, but not necessarily as the seller, I think).

I think you would need very deep pockets for either of the two you have picked!

I have a girlfriend whom is currently content on spending most of my money although she now wants a matching butty all of her own... I think I only put up with her because she lock wheels really well.

Shame to see Lyra and Meteor are no longer for sale - although I guess we should appreciate that they have found a home. Leaving only Taurus as a 'viable' liveaboard butty.

Taurus not being the most pretty of boats to start with and having steel work done in 1985 and the cabin fitted in 1989 and last being out in 2010. That would make the 'new' steel bottom 30 years old. Certainly one for a survey I would imagine!

Edited by Rufford

I have a girlfriend whom is currently content on spending most of my money although she now wants a matching butty all of her own... I think I only put up with her because she lock wheels really well.

Shame to see Lyra and Meteor are no longer for sale - although I guess we should appreciate that they have found a home. Leaving only Taurus as a 'viable' liveaboard butty.

Taurus not being the most pretty of boats to start with and having steel work done in 1985 and the cabin fitted in 1989 and last being out in 2010. That would make the 'new' steel bottom 30 years old. Certainly one for a survey I would imagine!

Taurus is a creation from the butty I owned in the late 60's "Crater" When the bottom was replaced in steel, the footings were cut down, there is some debate as to how much, so I'm not sure if it draws less,or it has less dry side;If it is more or less as I had it for hotel boating itwould i imagine require a fair bit of altering to be a comfortable live aboard I have not seen inside only found this out from chatting to the previous but one owner some years back as they worked up Bosley locks

Is there a link? I struggled to find it.

Not that I need another boat (!), but how do people reliably scan "the Duck" for possible interesting boats, if they are not looking for a specific one?

I have tended to search say "Yarwoods", then "Harland", then "FMC", then "BCN", and so on, but is there a better way, given there is no "historic" section, and that they sometimes pop up randomly in inappropriate places.

Incidentally searching "Josher" or even "Northwich" will usually be guaranteed to find far more modern boats than old, even searching "BCN" can be a bit that way now!

Not that I need another boat (!), but how do people reliably scan "the Duck" for possible interesting boats, if they are not looking for a specific one?

I have tended to search say "Yarwoods", then "Harland", then "FMC", then "BCN", and so on, but is there a better way, given there is no "historic" section, and that they sometimes pop up randomly in inappropriate places.

Incidentally searching "Josher" or even "Northwich" will usually be guaranteed to find far more modern boats than old, even searching "BCN" can be a bit that way now!

If after full length, use "minimum 70' " in the search engine. Just done it and it throws up 43 boats, so won't take long to go through them. Anything not full length, I await a better idea!

eta - now thats smart, using 'age'

Edited by Mike Tee

how do people reliably scan "the Duck" for possible interesting boats, if they are not looking for a specific one?

Just use the age section. I use 1965 as my marker

If after full length, use "minimum 70' " in the search engine. Just done it and it throws up 43 boats, so won't take long to go through them. Anything not full length, I await a better idea!

eta - now thats smart, using 'age'

I set age between 1800 and 1960 and have a bookmark for it.

All the above are fine, but rely on the advertiser providing the relevant information. If the advert doesn't include the year or length of the boat (or gets these wrong) you can unintentionally filter out the boat you are looking for.

All the above are fine, but rely on the advertiser providing the relevant information. If the advert doesn't include the year or length of the boat (or gets these wrong) you can unintentionally filter out the boat you are looking for.

And, unless I'm doing something wrong, I tried to filter to just "Narrow Boats", but get quite a few things that are not.

Not a lot you can do about it, I guess, if someone has elected to put up a wide beam river tug, but in the "narrow boats" section.

A few esoteric things certainly came up, though!