Historic Boats for sale online

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

FLAMINGO is most certainly a Large Northwich motor, no doubt about it. A cabin conversion in the hold is all a part of the history of these boats, and arguably is a great improvement over the trip boat conversion FLAMINGO had from 1970 to 1986.

I have to say it distressed me somewhat when I learned that the (classic of its day, IMO) conversion of the Themis (which was my home for a while) had been removed, and the boat resold very soon afterwards.

The advert claims....

Retains original engine room steel work and traditional BMC. [sic]

What looks fairly obvious is that the back cabin steelwork is new, (and almost certainly, from the pictures, not riveted - real or fake). I wonder if the engine room truly is original?

From memory this was a boat from the first batch of "Wendover" boats, so I'm guessing the description of the HA2 being installed in 1968 relates to what was done to it once sold off by tender?

The engine room top looks to be pretty 'original'.

Tim

From memory this was a boat from the first batch of "Wendover" boats, so I'm guessing the description of the HA2 being installed in 1968 relates to what was done to it once sold off by tender?

All of the boats that British Waterways Board stored in the Wendover Arm were boats that had previously been on lease to Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd..

LETCHWORTH was one of eight motors purchased by Willow Wren Canal Carrying Company from British Transport Commission in December 1961, and by the time of its health registration at Coventry in May 1962 LETCHWORTH had been renamed as FLAMINGO.

FLAMINGO was one of the last boats to still be actively carrying in the Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd. fleet and was sold directly to owners who carried out its conversion to a trip boat.

All of the boats that British Waterways Board stored in the Wendover Arm were boats that had previously been on lease to Willow Wren Canal Transport Services Ltd..

LETCHWORTH was one of eight motors purchased by Willow Wren Canal Carrying Company from British Transport Commission in December 1961, and by the time of its health registration at Coventry in May 1962 LETCHWORTH had been renamed as FLAMINGO.

Thanks for the correction Pete - had I even half thought about this I would have realised it wasn't a Wendover boat, so apologies.

iIf my memory is serving me well I am sure WWCTS had "Flamingo" virtually replated at Yarwoods just before they closed down. When I first saw it as a trip boat conversion at Trentham on the T&M I thought it was a new boat, sides were without wear etc. Can anyone confirm my memory is correct? she certainly looked resplendent then.

Worth less than 50% of the asking price.

Really? Thinking about what other boats with full length cabins went for- Or at least what they were advertised for- Rufford, Bournemouth, Bicester, Baldock, etc.- I can't really see anything that makes this boat worth significantly less than them.

Certainly, if I were to put Willow on the market- full length cabin, but fit out not quite finished- I'd be looking for more than £50k.

Why? because it is not a large Northwich motor. It has been ruined by the addition of a full length cabin etc etc.

Is this what you believe, or are you summarising the views of others?

Maybe it's inevitable that I will think this, because if have a full length cabin on my boat, but I really don't think that that makes a boat particularly bad. If anything, it is a part of the boat's history- and what makes one particular period, when a boat was carrying, worth preserving more than another when it was converted? Mine, for example, has had a full length cabin for the last 34 years, but it carried for less than 10. In about 6 years time, it will have had a cabin for longer than it didn't.

I know this is a little bit of a minority view, but I really don't like the "rip it off" approach to cabins. Sure, I can't load my boat, but not many people do anyway- and I'd far rather live full time in my nice 65' long cabin, with bathroom, kitchen, etc., than in 9'.

Really? Thinking about what other boats with full length cabins went for- Or at least what they were advertised for- Rufford, Bournemouth, Bicester, Baldock, etc.- I can't really see anything that makes this boat worth significantly less than them.

Certainly, if I were to put Willow on the market- full length cabin, but fit out not quite finished- I'd be looking for more than £50k.

Unconverted Historic boats fetch 15k to 30k, price to add on a cabin, fit it out, appliances etc etc and £50/60k certainly is heading the right direction.

When 'replica' boats of similar length/fit out/quality of steel work are fetching 70/80/90k or double that if new then I do not think that the real thing is over priced when it is priced at 'cost' value of the hull + cabin + fit out + appliances.

In some respects I wish I had gone for a boat with an under tarp conversion, but I do also quite like the cabin on RUFFORD as quaint as it is I just have no use for a cargo hold but I do certainly have use for more living space :-)

I think the "Letchworth" is one of those extensively rebuilt on the Thames in the fifties - perhaps Pete can tell us more. The new plating and riveting stands out on these. Some of the Captains whose boats were so rebuilt claimed the identities of some were swapped !

I think the "Letchworth" is one of those extensively rebuilt on the Thames in the fifties - perhaps Pete can tell us more. The new plating and riveting stands out on these. Some of the Captains whose boats were so rebuilt claimed the identities of some were swapped !

I have nothing within my notes relating to which boats were rebuilt on the Thames. All I have is docking dates, and I do not have all of those.

I have however heard about boats having their original identity changed during docking's under 'British Waterways'.

It did go under offer at one point. I know there can be 101 reasons why a sale doesn't go through but the cynic in me always thinks it could have been something a survey threw up.

It's quite common to see boats on Whiltons website go under offer, the appear back for sale with a significant price reduction.

At the weekend I was speaking to the owner of Gosty Hill, and I mentioned that I was pleased to hear that the boat had at last ben sold, He advised me that the sale was not yet complete, though it sounds as if it soon will be. He now, incidentally, has Truro, a trad-looking boat with a 3-cylinder Lister but, despite its name, not a "Town Class" boat.

Well all I can say is BOLLOCKS.

If you want something to work with and are not to worried about it being historic, what about this? It's been on the market for a long time so you could probably get it for nearer £20k (depending on survey of course).

I rather like those engines too.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=372088

If you want something to work with and are not to worried about it being historic, what about this? It's been on the market for a long time so you could probably get it for nearer £20k (depending on survey of course).

We had a Rigas Dizelis in our last boat. They are fairly loud, and very smoky when starting from cold, but we found ours to be reliable and powerful. I found it quite lovable too!

The advert mentions a possible carrying use. Junior, be aware!

It's only 50ft though, I think Junior wants a full length boat otherwise he may as well cut the cabin off Albion and open the hold back up.

Catherine Clark

Converted dredger. Recently taken a 32% asking price tumble on the a-d site

I like the boat but I think its too wide for Grand Union Locks. I thought I'd seen it at Kensal Green but must be another boat as it is 4.5m beam apparently.

http://www.apolloduck.co.za/feature.phtml?id=382682