Barge stuck under Trent Bridge in Newark

DarkieBoy

Featured Posts

The Barge Resilience Swinton was apparently stuck under Trent Bridge in Newark. It was released this morning, after being stranded for several days due to the height of the goods being higher/wider than the curvature of the bridge's arch.

Not sure where it was heading other than upstream, nor sure what it was carrying.

>

DB.

The Barge Resilience Swinton was apparently stuck under Trent Bridge in Newark. It was released this morning, after being stranded for several days due to the height of the goods being higher/wider than the curvature of the bridge's arch.

Not sure where it was heading other than upstream, nor sure what it was carrying.

>

DB.

Ok, thanks for that.

Course its Nottinghams Trent bridge init. :banghead:

Nottinghams Trent bridge is mooocho bigger than that. Just as a sideline I went under Trent bridge ( Nottingham ) Yesterday with a safe clearance of about 3 odd feet at centre of arch. Whilst upstream of the bridge the huge sluice gates at Holme lock failed and fully closed, at the same time the emergency alarms that ring at the EA failed and they were unaware of the malfunction :wacko: This had the same effect as bunging the plug in the bath and turning taps full on. I turned and returned through bridge less than forty minutes later and the river had risen over 2 feet. This was I can assure you no fun and it just goes to show that even in todays gadget ridden age even state of the art equipment can and does fail any time it wants to.

Tim

She has a front rudder, not a common fitting

That's the stern. The front is much more bluff.

It's a shame because it looks like they've painted her up especially for the job.

It's not the first time Waddingtons have stuffed one under a bridge.

victoryunderbridge.jpg

Edited by carlt

That's the stern. The front is much more bluff.

It's a shame because it looks like they've painted her up especially for the job.

It's not the first time Waddingtons have stuffed one under a bridge.

victoryunderbridge.jpg

I think that's Graham and his son Karl Acaster from Goole standing on the Stern/bow. Acaster's Water Transport had a contract in the summer to move equipment from Hull up to Stragglethorpe Power Station above Newark and they hired one of Waddington's few remaining dumb barges to do that job - I believe that was Resilience too.

Visible, just beyond the bridge is, I believe, one of their tugs - either Little Shuva or Little Shifta. I think Shuva was used last time but my memory defeats me. When not pushing a dumb barge on the Besthorpe - Whitwood gravel run, these tiny tugs push large ocean-going vessels around Goole Docks with ease. Lots of youtube footage showing them at work. Their wheel boxes go up and down to clear the canal bridges on the A&C using a re-cycled fork lift mast. Ingenious people the Acasters!

Probably my Gwamma, and the fact I had just got in from work. I was upstream of the bridge whilst the sluices are downstream :) is that clear as mud? :huh:

Tim

What's this got to do with your Gwamma, surely she should have been tucked up in bed on a cold night like last night.

• Greenie 1

Tim

Am I dreaming - or did you get the opposite problem at Holmes about a week ago - sluices open and river drained away with no reaction from EA control.

Hi

Yes we did, how did you know that ? The river dropped alarmingly quickly to well below summer low levels and again the sluices were at fault. We contacted the EA at that time also. This time emergengcy teams went immediately to the sluices and under floodlites worked all nite. We are having a meeting soon with the Ea re this matter as it could be a major problem if not sorted sooner rather than later. As you are probably aware there is no weir at Holme lock and these gates are a huge part of safety with regards flooding and boat safety on this part of the Trent. :cheers:

Tim