Two different boats - help needed, please.

Alanji

Featured Posts

I posted on the “New to Boating” thread that I was going looking at a short list of boats and have seen two I like. I only discovered when looking that the deposit is non-refundable (unless the survey turns up a problem on safety licence or insurance acceptability). I assumed the offer would be “subject to survey” as with a house. I am going to look at both on the way back home and will have to try and work out what work (non safety/insurance) would be required. With my knowledge (or lack of it!) that will be difficult, so if anyone who knows what to look for is in the area and is prepared to have a look with me I would be happy to buy lunch or dinner. One boat is at Chirk and the other at Venetian Marina.

The two boats are very different and I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

The first is 57’, 2010 built by Castle Boats and fitted out by Station Boats. Recently reduced to £43k, which seems quite cheap. Might it be because of the builder? Not a name I have seen and cannot find out much about them. Given that she is only two years old would a survey still be recommended?

http://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2270.aspx

The second is older, needs more work and is dearer! 2002 58ft Peter Nicholls offered at £62.5k but open to negotiation. Gas free boat but the engine is very, very quiet. Would adjacent boats still be likely to object to the engine running after 8pm?

http://www.marineserviceschirk.co.uk/boat-74.html

Please, no comments on cruiser stern or pump out – I have already decided on that after extensive reading on here and elsewhere and looking.

Any help much appreciated.

<snip>

Would adjacent boats still be likely to object to the engine running after 8pm?

<snip>

That's for you to decide, being as you are breaking the terms of your license by annoying them after 8:00pm

Putting that to one side, which boat do you like the most?

Richard

Depending on what type of inverter and the battery capacity the nosiest thing on the 58ft ROSALYN K would be the Eberspacher. using the engine to create electricity is expensive in terms of fuel. How will you be using the boat? A quiet engine is a definite plus but if it had been run for many hours for 12 years generating electric it might be worn. Pinder has a good name.

The first boat doesn't appear to have any heat protection at the side of the stove, just the ply cabin lining. It also appears that the same red tiles have been used throughout the boat which suggests that they may not be heat proof. Could cause future issues with the BSS. What's going on with the space behind the stove / by the rear doors?

Also the mains distribution panel which isn't waterproof appears to be in an area where it could get wet - from the photo though I'm probably wrong I think it's by the rear door.

The newer boat certainly looks very nice.

There has been quite a big reduction in price, that they are being quite public about, so do you know how long it has been on the market, or have you asked the brokerage about the price reduction.

The second boat seems expensive, to me, at least), and I'm not a fan of gas free boats unless you really, really have good reasons for needing one.

Despite the fact it says something like "ideal boat for continuous cruising", (or similar), I can see no evidence of a solid fuel stove. Given their reliability record, if all it has in an Eberspaacher, I'd not touch it with a barge pole, unless there were room to add a solid fuel stove.

What is your intended use of a boat, because that does make a difference. Do you need "gas free", for example because you think you would find moving cylinders around too hard?

Pinder has a good name.

Possibly, but what is the connection to Pinder with either of these boats?

The first boat looks amazing value. Might be worth checking why, like other people have suggested. But it looks really lovely.

I would suggest definitely to survey as it may pick up something that more than gets the survey cost back, in terms of haggling. But perhaps not on such a good price point!

Thanks for the helpful replies, already. I intend to use the boat for cc'ing from about March to October and winter storage so no real need for stove - it would be possible to put one in.

The advantages (to me) of the gas free boat is full size fridge and full size freezer and quiet(er) cruising.

Would not find moving cylinders a problem at present but, at 61 (nearly) it would be an attraction.

As to which boat - I ould like to combine the best aspects of the two!

I'd keep looking until you find a boat that fits the right spec and price for you :)

I would agree with this - it sounds to me you have found some features that you like, not a boat that you must have

Richard

From a completely non-technical perspective - I'd find having free standing furniture a better option rather than the fixed benches in the older boat. The free standing is usually more comfortable and there is a flexibility that you lose with the bench that I don't think it outweighed by the option of a double bed

The advantages (to me) of the gas free boat is full size fridge and full size freezer and quiet(er) cruising.

Given that on many boats, the fridge is the biggest problem when it comes to electricity supply, I've never understood the attraction of having a freezer on a boat: it's just another set of problems at least the same size as those from the fridge, with the additional grief that when (not if) the electricity supply fails, you stand to lose a freezer full of expensive food.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

I posted on the “New to Boating” thread that I was going looking at a short list of boats and have seen two I like. I only discovered when looking that the deposit is non-refundable (unless the survey turns up a problem on safety licence or insurance acceptability). I assumed the offer would be “subject to survey” as with a house. I am going to look at both on the way back home and will have to try and work out what work (non safety/insurance) would be required. With my knowledge (or lack of it!) that will be difficult, so if anyone who knows what to look for is in the area and is prepared to have a look with me I would be happy to buy lunch or dinner. One boat is at Chirk and the other at Venetian Marina.

The two boats are very different and I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

The first is 57’, 2010 built by Castle Boats and fitted out by Station Boats. Recently reduced to £43k, which seems quite cheap. Might it be because of the builder? Not a name I have seen and cannot find out much about them. Given that she is only two years old would a survey still be recommended?

http://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/2270.aspx

The second is older, needs more work and is dearer! 2002 58ft Peter Nicholls offered at £62.5k but open to negotiation. Gas free boat but the engine is very, very quiet. Would adjacent boats still be likely to object to the engine running after 8pm?

http://www.marineserviceschirk.co.uk/boat-74.html

Please, no comments on cruiser stern or pump out – I have already decided on that after extensive reading on here and elsewhere and looking.

Any help much appreciated.

If you go for ether of these insist on a new BSS with each of them, especially the first which has never had one done.

Full size fridge and freezer, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

It strikes me that this boat was designed for a life plugged into a shore supply.

TBH I don't understand the concept of a 'gas free' boat unless it's going to be plugged into the mains 24/7 (as I believe they say in some parts)

Yes, you can run your engine/generator to produce power but unless you are moored in the middle of nowhere you are going to pizz orf those nearby and even, as has already been pointed out, then you would be breaking the terms of your licence if you do it between 20:00 and 08:00.

Hope this helps.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

PS A survey is money well spent, IMHO, and don't be put off buying the first boat you look at if 'speaks' to you. We did, no regrets(It didn't speak, it shouted!)

The pricing on the second boat appears high for its age, suggest you look on the duck and "range" the options to see what boats for that size and age are advertised for so you can get a comparison, I dont know what this will show but even if it comes out significantly lower and you still want to go for it at a much lower price you may find it a battle if the owner believes its priced correctly, therefore avoid

Yes, a survey is in order for either boat and on the first one I would want to ensure the surveyor satisfies themselves that the boat actually has all its RCD paperwork is available and correct with the boat fully complying. Unfortunately it seems to me far too many boat fitters are less than honest in respect of the RCD (Recreational Craft Directive) declaration.

The first boat doesn't appear to have any heat protection at the side of the stove, just the ply cabin lining. It also appears that the same red tiles have been used throughout the boat which suggests that they may not be heat proof. Could cause future issues with the BSS. What's going on with the space behind the stove / by the rear doors?

Also the mains distribution panel which isn't waterproof appears to be in an area where it could get wet - from the photo though I'm probably wrong I think it's by the rear door.

The red tiles don't need to be heat proof. The tiles surrounding my stove are cheap and cheerful Homebase value. They're mounted Masterboard which gives the fireproofing needed and no heat permeates through to the wall (easy for me to check as my stove is fitted between the cabin side and a cupboard which can be opened and the heat on the other side easily checked). It also passed its BSS with flying colours and I was told it was the safest stove installation he had ever seen!

If the OP likes this boat, it's very easy to put in additional heatproofing and tiles around the stove. Looks like there is plenty of room to do it too.

Personally I think the cheaper boat is much nicer than the other one, but I'm not the one buying :)

Personally I would't contemplate buying a boat without a solid fuel stove. Even if only cruising March to Oct it can still get cold and modern stoves are great in terms of controlability. When ticking over, ours needs refuelling only about every 12 -18 hours. With a stove, you would find that cruising outside of March to Oct can be very pleasant - viz last Sunday was a magic sunny day!

I am all for gizmos but would not have a gas-free boat. When used only for cooking, a 13kg cylinder lasts for weeks or months. A microwave is a fair compromise for additional non-gas cooking (but not as the only means). With gas free comes all the issues mentioned including the cost of a large battery bank, with limited life and costly to replace, or engine running whenever you want to cook anything. Even if it quiet, I am sure you will hear and feel it inside, spoiling your personal tranquility even if not other's. It would drive me mad. All for sake of some gas!

Neither boat excites me, If i were 'holdin foldin' to those prices i'd want more for my money.

Keep looking, also look at boats advertised for slightly more money than you have, at least then you will know when you see a bargain, my old boat Berengaria sold for mid 50's and makes these two look very plain Jane's, when the right boat comes along, you'll know it!

Paul

An all electric boat works for me, the only difference in specification of on-board electrics and the one mentioned is, our generator is separate and rated at 7Kw.

As for noise, yes it (generator) can be heard in the boat, although cocooned but cannot be heard outside the boat unless stood by the exhaust, ven then it is only a purr, same with the propulsion engine (not cocooned)

'Hospital silencers' fitted to both.