Ex Rev Martin Reed strikes again!

johnmck

Featured Posts

We have meet Oak & Ash more than a few times and the Rev comes across as a very arrogant person in his attitude to all others around him.

We once witnessed him demanding another boater off a water point because in his words " i am running a business and have proirity over you "

Another instance very recently he sent one of his guest forward to warn us a hotel pair were coming, upon leaving the lock below, he had positioned his butty in such a position as to leave very little room for manourve and shouted at the wife not to hit his boat.

We try to keep clear of him and his boats whereever possible

I have nothing to say as I cannot recall ever meeting him BUT what I can say is that after 25 posts this must be a record as ALL 25 posters agree :lol:

Tim

We have meet Oak & Ash more than a few times and the Rev comes across as a very arrogant person in his attitude to all others around him.

We once witnessed him demanding another boater off a water point because in his words " i am running a business and have proirity over you

Yes, happened to us.

He ordered us off, and instructed the queue of 5 boats that they would have to wait for him.

I disabused him of any idea that he would be jumping a queue

I have nothing to say as I cannot recall ever meeting him BUT what I can say is that after 25 posts this must be a record as ALL 25 posters agree :lol:

Tim

Hey Tim he must have avoided us!!!! I have never come across him but he seems like my sort of chap...........where do I book really fancy a week of that!!

Hey Tim he must have avoided us!!!! I have never come across him but he seems like my sort of chap...........where do I book really fancy a week of that!!

Hi John

Yes mate I agree. What pees me off big time is that I have never been lucky enough to meet him !! I would simply love to, I luv meeting people like him it makes my day. Shall we both book a week we could have a right laugh :lol:

Tim

We have passed them when tied up a few times, that last time at Kingwood Junction on the way to the BCN Challenge this year.

We followed them down Knowle a few years ago, and they were leaving paddles up, which is not easy to spot with the Ham Baker gear.

The summer before this we met them when we were going up Lapworth. The motor had come down, and I went up, and then he started to instruct me what to do coming out of the lock as they had the butty in the small pound above. I told him how it was and what I was going to do and what they should do with the butty (no not that!). To my surprise he agreed and thanked me saying most people get really arsey (wonder why). He did have a number of guests helping work the lock though, perhaps back then he avoided confrontation in front of the guests.

Hi John

Yes mate I agree. What pees me off big time is that I have never been lucky enough to meet him !! I would simply love to, I luv meeting people like him it makes my day. Shall we both book a week we could have a right laugh :lol:

Tim

I have some leave to take if you need to make up the numbers?

Sounds ace!

Hi John

I have some leave to take if you need to make up the numbers?

Sounds ace!

Perhaps we should try and find a week where he has no bookings at all - then block book a CWDF party on board both boats.

I would suggest, as numbers may be limited, that only devout atheists should apply, as that might help add to the fun!

Edited by alan_fincher
  • Greenie 4

Being pedantic, I don't think the guy is Ex Rev. Although the use of the title varies with religions, it normally stays for life.

I spoke to him a couple of weeks back (when Oak and Ash were moored in the Saltisford Arm) and he told me he was returning to the priesthood to run a small rural parish.

I have met him a few of times over the years but never on the move.

We have only met him the once, when he began to instruct me in regard to his intentions. On that occasion, I have to admit, he reacted much as John6767 relates. Doug and James (N.B.Channce) are gentlemen in all respects. They are not confrontational and would assist any person. That this man reacts as he does is despicable, made all the worse when one knows of his clerical background.

I had the most appalling experience with him when coming down Napton in July-2011. He did actually turn red with rage because I wanted to turn a lock whilst he was below the next one down. He berated me on etiquette and informed me that as a commercial operator he could dictate what happened. I am afraid I did the only thing I felt was possible and laughed at him - that only made his rage worse (if possible). When his boat was eventually above the lock (he had his crew forcibly hold the lower gates open so I couldn't fill the lock) and I was about to go down he backed up to the upper gate and 'gunned' his engine, over a period of 2 or 3 minutes, so covering me and the counter of my boat in copious quantities of water followed by a diatribe which included 'that will show you who is in charge'. Deep down I did find him quite intimidating so as soon as I was able I phoned the (then) BW and complained - I understand they came out to talk to him and I complained to the British Marine Federation (who I was informed by BW were his trade body). Clearly whatever action they took had little effect.

I am concerned that he is still allowed to trade as I feel he could be the cause of a nasty accident. I suppose his God is looking after him. He must be a very troubled soul to behave in the way he does but that doesn't excuse, in my opinion, his disgraceful behaviour - I think he treats women worse than men but I may be biased!

I've seen him and his boats a couple of times since luckily not at any place that involves any interaction.

I met him a few months moored at the water point at Fenny Compton.

A hire boat came past in the tight space...and scraped his boat.

His language was foul..and their were families with children sitting in the pub garden.

I said to him.."you didn't use language like that when you were on TV..pretending to be holy !!".

He is a truly horrible man...who hides behind his 'God cape' to justify that he is better than everyone else.

Long may his Hotel enterprise...sink !

I had the most appalling experience with him when coming down Napton in July-2011. He did actually turn red with rage because I wanted to turn a lock whilst he was below the next one down. He berated me on etiquette and informed me that as a commercial operator he could dictate what happened. I am afraid I did the only thing I felt was possible and laughed at him - that only made his rage worse (if possible). When his boat was eventually above the lock (he had his crew forcibly hold the lower gates open so I couldn't fill the lock) and I was about to go down he backed up to the upper gate and 'gunned' his engine, over a period of 2 or 3 minutes, so covering me and the counter of my boat in copious quantities of water followed by a diatribe which included 'that will show you who is in charge'. Deep down I did find him quite intimidating so as soon as I was able I phoned the (then) BW and complained - I understand they came out to talk to him and I complained to the British Marine Federation (who I was informed by BW were his trade body). Clearly whatever action they took had little effect.

I am concerned that he is still allowed to trade as I feel he could be the cause of a nasty accident. I suppose his God is looking after him. He must be a very troubled soul to behave in the way he does but that doesn't excuse, in my opinion, his disgraceful behaviour - I think he treats women worse than men but I may be biased!

I've seen him and his boats a couple of times since luckily not at any place that involves any interaction.

Wikipedia

"Piracy is typically an act of robbery or criminal violence at sea. The term can include acts committed on land, in the air, or in other major bodies of water or on a shore."

Paul

Here's you chance:

http://www.reedboats.co.uk/routes/routes.html

10% off the remaining cruises

Richard

I think these are all over now.

He states that he has "a renewed desire to serve God". It seems to me that he needs to be looking hard at himself, christians I know would not consider his arrogance, lack of humility and bullying tactics very christian. I wonder if the parish where he will be serving 'part-time' know very much about him?

No, stop, I've just re-read that, what he actually says is: "I will seek to return to work part-time as a Vicar". Does this mean that he hasn't yet got a parish? On the other hand, isn't there a shortage of clergy in some denominations? Perhaps they have to take what they can get.

I do not condone violence but I had to forceably stop my missus from hitting him. She has only ever hit me once & it decked me straight on my jacksy.

In hindsight I should have allowed him to feel the force! How has he remained in business? He remains on my bucketlist, if I should ever require one.

Singlehandedly the most vile human being I have ever encountered. You could not make him up..........

We were moored below lk12 at Audlem when oak and ash came down. The rev came through the lock then pulled back into the gates waiting to tow the butty down this longer pound. The butty was hauled in by the crew and hit the front gate - tossing a load of water over the gate and over the rev below. You could see the steam rising as he cursed them. A chap on a mooring opposite listened open mouthed to the language which went on and on. It was all so unoriginal - just the same few swear words used but the tone was so angry. I went inside to have a laugh. Meanwhile the pair passed at speed with the vicar still muttering as I whipped out to find the butty passing with the crew hiding from him having hysterics.

Edited by Tiny

I was almost tempted to apply for the job he was offering..... would have been like working in Fawlty Towers!

A TNC member once did that :o

We have never bumped into him...but did pass Oak and Ash rather early a couple of times ;)

He was very prominent on ye olde e-mail newsgroups at the time he had Oak and Ash built...which I thought was rather daft, as there is almost always a pair of hotel boats for sale.

We had an encounter with the erstwhile Rev at Autherly stop. Came out with foul mouthed abuse to SWBMO ........ big mistake! She completely humiliated him in front of all his "crew", guests and other boaters and received a round of applause from the assembled masses for her efforts (not one sware word from SWMBO was uttered). Perhaps its just a control and dominance thing ?

Edited by Lewis 53

I've heard so much bad about this man...many of our customers have met him and been at the brunt of his temper, or witnessed him taking it out on others, and on dogs. It's time IMO that someone took him to task through legal venues, I'm sure there are plenty of grounds, especially in the case the OP has linked, for a formal legal complaint. Thank goodness he is doing one sensible thing and leaving the waterways.

at the time he had Oak and Ash built...which I thought was rather daft, as there is almost always a pair of hotel boats for sale.

rather apt that now its that very pair that will be up for sale!! if I had the money i'd buy them just to see the back of that vile little man, plus I'm sure we could make a go of running them successfully!

rather apt that now its that very pair that will be up for sale!! if I had the money i'd buy them just to see the back of that vile little man, plus I'm sure we could make a go of running them successfully!

No, he says they will remain as a 'Christian resource' based in the Gloucester area.

Unbelievable. He deliberately caused water to flood into the back cabin? That is criminal damage, for starters. Then there is the abusive and threatening language. How come he has never been arrested?

I'd like to meet this preacher. Is he ever likely to venture down here?