The New Inn closed UFN

matty40s

Featured Posts

Alan the heart of England has new managers. I spent a fair amount of time eating there in Feb/March and food & service were excellent.

The trouble with pubs is they can change from bad to good or visa versa very quickly.

That's good information Sue, and I agree things can change quickly.

On that basis we might give them another chance, but I''ll still check the price of a pint of orange juice before committing to one!

I prefer dog-free pubs but there's a further issue here.

There was a large uncontrolled dog blundering about in the Plough in Braunston a couple of months ago while we were eating. It seems pretty bad form for pubs to allow dogs in areas they serve food.

MtB

• Greenie 1

It seems pretty bad form for pubs to allow dogs in areas they serve food.

MtB

I know this is your view, and of course I respect that not everybody likes dogs, and some feel intimidated by them, (I used to probably until into my twenties, largely because my family never had one).

All I can repeat is that I am aware of quite a few pubs that I visit on the canals, (my greatest experience being the Grand union), that I think would lose huge amounts of trade if they did not both serve meals, and permit (controlled!) dogs.

Pubs around places popular with both boaters and walkers are an obvious case, and at somewhere like Marsworth I would honestly estimate that more groups visiting the pubs have at least one dog with them that do not. A "dog free" pub might have to offer something fairly special to survive with no dog owners visiting, (strippers ?!?).

Some have a layout that permits choice - The Marsworth Red Lion allows dogs in the public bar, but not the "posher" lounge bar, (places like the Boat at Stoke Bruerne or the popular Globe Inn at Leighton Buzzard being the same), but somewhere like the Anglers Retreat at Startopsend doesn't have a layout that permits this, with only one bar area, (you do need to also not object to Parrots, Parakeets, etc, in an eating area if you visit the Anglers!).

I don't like unruly dogs in pubs either, but would plead to others if you really just want our dog to lie quietly at our feet, please don't keep calling him over, or offering him crisps. He'll not bug you for anything if you don't encourage him, but if you do, it is hardly our fault! (Not suggesting you would do that Mike!).

I don't think I should be denied a pub meal because I own a dog - I'm happy to sit in a "less posh" area of said pub, if the layout permits it, and accept I can't have my dog at my feet in a full restaurant.

Edited by alan_fincher

If its canal side (or close to) and it doesn't allow dogs I am afraid we move on to one that does. It's the both a Landlord and Customer choice. I don't expect to take the dog in if it's a restaurant but I do if it's a pub that does food. However as a dog owner there's nothing worse than the dog owner in a pub that doesn't keep his dog on a lead in a pub, whether friendly or not.

You need to weigh up if dog lovers out number those of us who have reason to not like dogs. I certainly don't go to dog friendly pubs.

I agree. Give me a pub with no dogs and no screaming kids. Bliss!

Edited to add:-

Although the idea of a dog free zone and a child free zone is appealing and would be a good compromise.

Edited by jelunga

I prefer dog-free pubs but there's a further issue here.

There was a large uncontrolled dog blundering about in the Plough in Braunston a couple of months ago while we were eating. It seems pretty bad form for pubs to allow dogs in areas they serve food.

MtB

I'm a dog fan but nevertheless it really annoys me when dog owners don't manage their dogs properly. Even if they are as sure as they can be that their dog is safe, they still have a responsibility to keep it away from other people who don't want to spend time with it!

The large retriever in the Plough that MB mentions above was thoroughly good natured, very friendly and just wanted attention, but his owners were literally sitting watching while it begged for food from tables with people eating, and kept worming its way under all of the tables (including ours) and throwing itself at your feet for attention. One other table that was eating further in was giving me a death stare at one point, and I only realised a bit later that this was because they thought the dog was mine as it was hanging around us so much (hoping for food)! in between begging from them!

It was bloody annoying. The owners of the dog were right there in the pub too, and were well aware of what was going on, and the pub policy also seemed to think that this was fine.

Not only does MB not like to be around dogs (why don't people respect this?! People have a right to not have to be in contact with dogs if they choose not to) the dog effing stank to high heaven. Even just pushing it away a couple of times when it had its head on the table we were eating from made my hands smell and I had to re-wash them before eating!

There is definitely merit to mixed-use pubs with a dog area and firm non-dog area. A bit like the old 'smoking or no smoking' bits of pubs.

I tend to avoid kid-friendly pubs like the plague at all times, but if not with Mike I will usually pick a dog friendly pub even though I don't have a dog, because I like other people's!

While I think kids should be kept out of pubs (or at least the part of the pub I am in...) they're not normally a safety risk, and are less likely to be left unsupervised talking to strange men who may or may not want to talk to them.

Most people aren't nervous or afraid of children, you're not expected to pet them, you can generally tell what mood they're in, and they rarely bite.

Edited by Starcoaster

I don't think I should be denied a pub meal because I own a dog - I'm happy to sit in a "less posh" area of said pub, if the layout permits it, and accept I can't have my dog at my feet in a full restaurant.

I don't think I should be denied a meal in a pub because as a 4 year old I was attacked by a dog either. If I could over come the problem believe me I would!

I assume the prices are the same in the "posh" part and the less posh part otherwise I would being penalised there as well.

Obviously yes if it closed down previously. I wont go into the rumours regarding VAT payments.

You obviously know a lot more about it than I do, I don't have first hand knowledge only what was being said at the time.

I don't think I should be denied a meal in a pub because as a 4 year old I was attacked by a dog either. If I could over come the problem believe me I would!

I was about 12 when I was brought down off my bike by an out-of-control dog attacking me, but I'm getting over it slowly. Owners were prosecuted by the pleece over it and I had to give evidence in court.

In pubs, I don't actually find dogs under control a problem at all. It's the ones roaming about whose owners just let them and say 'don't worry he's just being friendly' if asked to keep under control.

And some dogs are truly delightful! Odin is one. Dunno why but I find his company totally non-threatening. Just to clarify.

Walked past the New Inn today and there was a sign in the window saying 'no dogs please', or something to that effect. Sadly I was in too much of a hurry to call in for a fantastic dog-free pint. Soon though! ;)

MtB

• 5 months later...

Had a good banter at pub over the weekend , no doubt with much cash over the bar on beer and food. Many pubs that do food also have no issue with well behaved dogs. The Barley Mow at Cosgrove would be a good example. There are many more. I would suggest that you might want to reconsider if you want to attract boaters.

I'm a dog owner and I also like to visit pubs. Come to that so does George our Staffie.

I really can't see why there is such a hype about dogs and food hygiene.

A licensee can of course dictate their preference. The majority of dog owners do control their dogs in pubs and the like. I take George, or should I say he takes me to our local. He is quite popular. Once though there was another dog already there that George took exception to and just wouldn't settle. Squealing like a pig. I saw off my pint and we left.

(George was squealing, not me)

Martyn.

I really can't see why there is such a hype about dogs and food hygiene.

As a non dog owner who due to a dog attack is distinctly uncomfortable in the presence of dogs I can't understand why dog owners insist on being accompanied by their animals.

I haven't seen cats, parrots, falcons, pet pigs, ferrets, miniature horses, snakes, guinea pigs, rats, or any of the other animals people choose as pets being taken to the pub, and believe me knowing a number of people who own many of these animals they are every bit as attached to them as a dog owner.

I also realise that I will now get a lot of flak and rare sighting of animals other than dogs in pubs.

Edit:to add a space between words.

Edited by Jerra

I appreciate your situation having been attacked by a dog in the past. It's the owners fault not the dogs.

However, I still can't see what all the fuss is about dogs and food hygiene. George is encouraged to wash his paws before jumping up at the dining table. Smiley entered here.

PS. I would rather be accompanied by George rather than return to the boat and find he was annoyed to left alone and decided to reshape the chewable items onboard.

PPS. He has not done this before in the boat, but he has in our old car during heaven rain when we were in B&Q's.

When we are on the cut we tend to leave Millie in the boat when we have a pub meal. This is because with her being deaf we have limited control over her. Outside of the house we can never let her off the lead because we have no recall over her. We did take her in the Folly earlier on this year and she surprised us by being well behaved. Whether she would have been quite so good if another dog came in would probably have been a different matter.

Although I have no objection to dogs in pubs it does annoy me when others dogs are roaming free in a bar.

I am afraid we do not allow dogs inside :-( the reason is we serve food throughout the pub and there is no suitable area available just for dogs.

There is an award winning restaurant near me which allows well behaved dogs in.

Serving food throughout an establishment is not an excuse not to allow dogs.

By the way, I'm a non dog owner so not biased one way or the other :)

• Greenie 1

There is an award winning restaurant near me which allows well behaved dogs in.

Serving food throughout an establishment is not an excuse not to allow dogs.

By the way, I'm a non dog owner so not biased one way or the other smile.png

As I said in the other thread it's virtually the norm in France, I don't understand in the face of the lack of any evidence that I can find at least what the basis is of not allowing them, or at least setting aside an area for them.

If they are mis behaving and bothering other customers and/or their dogs they should be simply asked to stop it and if it continues ask them to leave.

Edited by The Dog House

Hi,

I went off dogs in pubs some years ago.

I had one of those wonderful waterproof Barbour jackets, hung it on the back of a chair and the pocket 'bulged' open....... upon leaving I felt in my pocket for something..............................yup! straight into a pool of ...........................yup! my mate's Dalmatian had 'cocked 'it's leg and most of the bladder contents had gone in my pocket.

Why do owners have to bring dogs into pubs?, leave them at home (with the kids) - dogs smell, especially if wet.

L

• Greenie 2