The New Inn closed UFN

matty40s

Featured Posts

Much as it pains me to say it, I find I prefer the mainstream real ales like London Pride, Abbot, Hobgoblin, Tanglefoot, Landlord etc to the real ales brewed by the no-name micro-breweries.

May I suggest had you been flogging one of those instead you may find you get the whole barrels sold before they get too old. Just a guess but I'm wary of no-name real ales, they are often pretty mediocre in my experience compared to the big brands.

(Head down ready for the camra brigade onslaught now!)

MtB

I find quite the opposite, the mass produced, sanitised offerings from the big producers leave me cold, I always go for one of the many flourishing mico-breweries unique and varied REAL ales cheers.gif

Wot no ullage ?

I wondered the same thing, having run and helped run many real ale pubs and helped run a micro-brewery, wasted beer should be marked as ullage = no wasted profit.

I don't Know Upham's Punter, but if it is similar to one of your kegs, and, even occasionally, off it's best it will languish.

Normally, the stronger the ale, the longer it will keep without spoiling.

Where are you in Southampton? I'll be there on Monday, mind you, if you haven't got a nice real ale for me.........................................................................icecream.gif

As for the stuff that has plum, raspberry or blueberry essence thrown in. What do they think they are playing at.

Andy

Different flavours for different tastes! If there weren't smoked, dry-hopped, fruit flavoured, spiced, unfiltered and foreign-style ales it would be a boring experience.

It would also rob people with more eclectic tastes of an amazing variety of flavours and strengths.

On a different subject, one for the 'sell real ales and they will come' brigade: For the last two weeks I've had to take the one ale we do off as it was not up to a saleable quality, and consequently binned two half kegs i.e lost all profit.

Meanwile all the lagers and keg beers continue to flow and our trade is creeping slowly upwards year on year.

Uphams 'Punter' should anyone be interested.

If your pub is the one that I think it is then you've got the competition of that huge McSpoons just across the road and the Platform Tavern round the corner.

Speaking personally I'd head straight for the Platform because it houses a micro brewery Dancing Man.

And, to change the subject slightly, <PEDANT ALERT>

Just as we all get cross when narrowboats are referred to as 'barges' mad.gif Cask conditioned beer (real ale) comes in casks/barrels. Keg beer (fizz) comes in kegs.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

(Another beer geek coming late to this discussion)

ETA Rereading your post are you saying, 'You had one cask beer available (Punter) and it didn't sell so it went off' or 'The cask beer (Punter) was off when it arrived at your pub'?

Edited by Victor Vectis

And, to change the subject slightly, <PEDANT ALERT>

Just as we all get cross when narrowboats are referred to as 'barges' mad.gif Cask conditioned beer (real ale) comes in casks/barrels. Keg beer (fizz) comes in kegs.

Agreed. If the publican is unaware of the right terminology I can't imagine the cellaring being that great either!

MtB