Canal Guides.

Zayna

Featured Posts

You could try Abe Books for second hand copies. They are often cheaper than eBay and you can get a trader with several copies you need which means that combined postage is cheaper.

Be aware of which version you are buying as older ones are often (but not always) the cheapest. You are unlikley to need every guide straight away either - you could just get the ones that cover the area you are most likley to be cruising.

Although the information in older versions is likely to be out of date they can still be useful. After all there are unlikely to be any new roundabouts or by passes been built since the guide was published (although there might be an odd bit extra restored on some canals) The thing that dates fastest is the information on pubs and that can be out of date in the most recent version at the rate pubs close/change hands these days. If you are on a tight budget it might suit you to pick up older versions to use for your route and make some notes in the margin when you read updated info here on the forum. If you are travelling specific route and need info on a specific thing - such as BW laundry facilities then ask the question on here because there is always someone who knows that strecth intimately and will be along in a blink of an eye to answer your question

Thank you so much folks!

Does anyone use this place - www.canalworld.net (edited... it could be www.canalplan.org.uk)

If all goes to plan, it looks like I've a 9 day journey to plan to start with. I've just typed in my starting point and finishing point and it's come up with what seems to be every step of the way down to the last detail. Not in map form, but I can see now which guides I'll need to start with. I've just got to put my specs on and read it all probably. I think there are maps on there as well, I just need to investigate a bit further...

Edited by Zayna

Thank you so much folks!

Does anyone use this place - www.canalworld.net (edited... it could be www.canalplan.org.uk)

If all goes to plan, it looks like I've a 9 day journey to plan to start with. I've just typed in my starting point and finishing point and it's come up with what seems to be every step of the way down to the last detail. Not in map form, but I can see now which guides I'll need to start with. I've just got to put my specs on and read it all probably. I think there are maps on there as well, I just need to investigate a bit further...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::hug:

They are both great sites

Edited by Grace & Favour

We like Nicholson'r guides some prefer Pearson's

(the debate about which of these are best is usually conducted much more civility than the one about the best toilets.)

These forums are at canalworld.net -- so there's a good chance that most of us use that site!

:rolleyes::D :D :D :D :D

omg. How bloody funny! I've had this forum bookmarked for so long I didn't even notice.

What a div. My coat is on, tarara...

:lol:

I can't stop laughing... :banghead:

We like Nicholson'r guides some prefer Pearson's

(the debate about which of these are best is usually conducted much more civility than the one about the best toilets.)

Oh yeah, says who - big nose?

(Pearsons for us, just buy them as you need them - they do get updated from time to time)

Richard

We like Nicholsons, we also like Pearsons, which is the best? Only one way to find out....................

Buy one of each. For each part of your forthcoming,exciting cruise.

Martyn

Nicholson's are generally better for practical information than Pearson's. Note that new editions have been published this spring, so make sure you get the 2012 ones. The 1:25K OS maps also give you an idea of what is around the canal.

Amazon is much cheaper than list; also Waterstones were doing a good offer with a promotional code published in their adverts in the recent waterways press (try last month's towpath talk).

We like the preasons guides for ther readability/ease of use, but the nicholsons are good too especially with there bits of the OS map of the area.

problem is you end up with both on the boat and then also need a set at home for when you want to plan where your going....

Just to add another opinion into the melting pot (admittedly an opinion that is unlikely to be relevant to the OP)

I always have a copy of the Geoprojects canal map of my local area. The reason for that is because other forum members will often be passing through and will contact me to see if I fancy popping over to see them or perhaps assist with locks etc. Because they are on the canal and possibly in an aea they do not know that well they will say we are moored just after bridge number 36 or give another canal land mark that is very plain on heir canal guide but as a motorist who needs to try and find out how to get to bridge number 36 (especially if that is little more than a farm track) it can be a nightmare to navigate in a car. Geoprojects maps always show a good chunk of the road network around the canal and can also be very useful is little excursions through housing estates are required to get to a town centre.

Just to add another opinion into the melting pot (admittedly an opinion that is unlikely to be relevant to the OP)

I always have a copy of the Geoprojects canal map of my local area. The reason for that is because other forum members will often be passing through and will contact me to see if I fancy popping over to see them or perhaps assist with locks etc. Because they are on the canal and possibly in an aea they do not know that well they will say we are moored just after bridge number 36 or give another canal land mark that is very plain on heir canal guide but as a motorist who needs to try and find out how to get to bridge number 36 (especially if that is little more than a farm track) it can be a nightmare to navigate in a car. Geoprojects maps always show a good chunk of the road network around the canal and can also be very useful is little excursions through housing estates are required to get to a town centre.

I thought Geoprojects had closed in 2010. OK Amazon has a very few in stock and they're 'Old'

I still use my first edition Waterways World guides when navigating ("driving") as they are simple, show me bridge numbers and where the locks are. The relevant voilume is on the top of the hatch in a plastic bag so I can should "lock ahead" to The Management below.

I'd suggest for a first trip using the canalplan strip maps, bolstered up by the BW maps for a bit of geographic info

Both free so when you want more info you can but the dreaded Nicholsons' or Pearson's guide (my preference) - when you know what type of info you need.

I thought Geoprojects had closed in 2010. OK Amazon has a very few in stock and they're 'Old'

I still use my first edition Waterways World guides when navigating ("driving") as they are simple, show me bridge numbers and where the locks are. The relevant voilume is on the top of the hatch in a plastic bag so I can should "lock ahead" to The Management below.

I'd suggest for a first trip using the canalplan strip maps, bolstered up by the BW maps for a bit of geographic info

Both free so when you want more info you can but the dreaded Nicholsons' or Pearson's guide (my preference) - when you know what type of info you need.

My head says Nicholson for geographic accuracy, but my heart is with Pearson. I'm sure I saw Geoproject maps rebadged somewhere recently.

I thought Geoprojects had closed in 2010.

I really have no idea! It has been a while since I bought one. The same applies really. The section of canal you are trying to locate is unlikely to have moved and the bridge numbers will be the same. There may have been a few changes to the roads around the canal but you can cross reference from the Geoprojects map to a map on a smart phone if you get stuck.

We use Nicholsons for boating and refer to Canalplan AC for planning before we set off but as we have updated our guides on the boat the older version usually ends up at home for reference. We also merged two homes and had some duplicates there so we tend to keep a couple of our "local" ones in the car with us!

Hello all.

Should I buy the Nicholson's ones, I've tried finding them on ebay a bit cheaper but they only seem to have one or two... or shall I download the BW ones to start with?

Haw about secondhand ones, the canals don't move far

We've got both Nicholsons and Pearsons. Nicholsons is good for geography, Pearsons tells you about things like the state of the towpath. Which ever one you get keep a biro handy since after a year or two you'll have added lots of notes in the margin and won't want to get a newer one.

I've also got a load of A4 maps that I downloaded from waterscape and laminated that I keep in the engine room. The level of detail is poor but they're ideal if there's a change of plan and you need to go off route. Last year we'd planned to do the Warwickshire ring but ended up going to Stratford on Avon due to the riots. The A4 maps let me do the required planning until we got to the Saltisford Arm and I could buy a Pearsons.

For planning I always use the Canal Planner site.

Edited by Chalky