Dogdirt Capital of the canals

nicknorman

Featured Posts

Btw i got told off yest for ' bad language ' on here , and now there is 'bad language' in the title of this thread , of course the mods cant be everywhere all the time !

I see my post title has been edited. Not quite sure why, the S word in that context is surely not obscene nor offensive nor a swear word, merely commonly used slang. For the record, I consider dog dirt to be those annoying muddy pawprints and hairs left by the barking beasty brigade, not a euphamism for what comes out of their posterior. I wonder if faeces or excrement would have been acceptable, being the "proper" words for it? Funny how lots of personal abuse goes uncorrected, but that word is clearly banned on this forum! Never mind, I will get over it!

Edited by nicknorman

I see my post title has been edited. Not quite sure why, the S word in that context is surely not obscene nor offensive nor a swear word, merely commonly used slang. For the record, I consider dog dirt to be those annoying muddy pawprints and hairs left by the barking beasty brigade, not a euphamism for what comes out of their posterior. I wonder if faeces or excrement would have been acceptable, being the "proper" words for it? Funny how lots of personal abuse goes uncorrected, but that word is clearly banned on this forum! Never mind, I will get over it!

A sensitive soul thought that the original tile might give offence so I changed it.

You pacify (perhaps) someone and annoy another.

N

My nomination would be a few miles to the east of the OP's - the towpath through Ammington. Only ten piles in a boat's length? I stopped to visit a friend who's house backed onto the off bank, and counted ten in less than half the boat's length, and these were added to while I collected a sack of apples and had a cuppa. One was "deposited" by me as I stowed the apples on the fore deck, the owner thought I was joking when I offered to return it from whence it had come - ashing shovel was to hand....

Invariably??

Don't just assume that, because some people are not responsible dog owners, we are all like that.

Exactly. My wife & I had, "I hope you're going to pick that up" shouted at us from a passing busy body boater the other day. The pooch hadn't even finished curling it out!

We always clean up after our dog & my wife has been known to clear up after other peoples dogs too. rolleyes.gif

A sensitive soul thought that the original tile might give offence so I changed it.

N

Not annoyed, just keen to understand the forum rules. I did consider the title when posting but decided, as I mentioned, that because in the context it was slang and not a swear word / expletive, it would be OK but obviously not. Maybe the complainer was one of those who anthropomorphises their pet to being like one of the family - I suppose it would be inappropriate to talk about baby s***, and to them maybe it is the same for their 4-legged child.

Most places have a fine of up to £1,000 for this crime. A few well-reported cases of maximum fine being applied might concentrate the minds of those who think it is ok to leave crap everywhere.

First they have to be caught in the act, then they have to be taken to court and found guilty. How many dog wardens have you seen about in the last 12 months. Putting up signs is easy. Policing them is another matter.

N

Wot sensitive soul ? I dont take offence at any swearing , am a mechanic so very used to it , i just couldnt believe that i got a patronising PM from 'the mods' yesterday about the word 'tw@t' which i had used in a post , just seems a bit double standards to me or is it just me ?

Wot sensitive soul ? I dont take offence at any swearing , am a mechanic so very used to it , i just couldnt believe that i got a patronising PM from 'the mods' yesterday about the word 'tw@t' which i had used in a post , just seems a bit double standards to me or is it just me ?

If I understand you correctly and you were the complainer, then yes it is just you because there is a big difference between using a word that refers to part of the female genitalia as a swear word to castigate someone, versus a commonly used slang word for excrement. Well that is my take anyway.

Exactly. My wife & I had, "I hope you're going to pick that up" shouted at us from a passing busy body boater the other day. The pooch hadn't even finished curling it out!

Someone shouted that at me, at Brinklow, last week.

I just shouted back "I hope you're not going to empty your cassette in the cut".

Not annoyed, just keen to understand the forum rules. I did consider the title when posting but decided, as I mentioned, that because in the context it was slang and not a swear word / expletive, it would be OK but obviously not. Maybe the complainer was one of those who anthropomorphises their pet to being like one of the family - I suppose it would be inappropriate to talk about baby s***, and to them maybe it is the same for their 4-legged child.

The rule is that there are no rules... at least, AFAIK no banned words. Context and complaint is all. I love some of the imaginative terminology you have come up with in this thread though.

(By the way, everyone, a word spelled with asterisks is still the same word and no less offensive (if offensive it was in the first place, which is probably wasn't) than if spelled properly. In fact it's more offensive because it assumes readers are stupid.)

I do firmly agree that it is wrong to tar all dog owners with the same label.

If a place is used regularly for dog-walking, and even 10% don't pick up it can still get very sordid indeed, but that doesn't mean 90% of other owners are not being responsible.

This will probably be controversial, but in our travels from about as far South as the Thames to about as far north as Middlewich / Northwich, I would say that the whole problem is much worse in the North of that area than in the South. Neither is perfect, of course, but on places like the Middlewich branch, and the Shroppie main line I have skidded around on it in far greater quantities than we tend to get down here.

Some will disagree on my North/South divide, no doubt, but we do a fair amount of boating, and every time we go further North to places like the otherwise beautiful "Four Counties" we always note a lot more uncollected dog crap.

It's all the whippets you know :P

The rule is that there are no rules... at least, AFAIK no banned words. Context and complaint is all. I love some of the imaginative terminology you have come up with in this thread though.

(By the way, everyone, a word spelled with asterisks is still the same word and no less offensive (if offensive it was in the first place, which is probably wasn't) than if spelled properly. In fact it's more offensive because it assumes readers are stupid.)

Who'd be a mod.

mellow.gif

Well, I would, actually. Considering the number of members and the amount of posts each day, there is not much that needs attending to. CWDF doesn't hole the no 1 slot for nothing.

Nick

My nomination would be a few miles to the east of the OP's - the towpath through Ammington. Only ten piles in a boat's length? I stopped to visit a friend who's house backed onto the off bank, and counted ten in less than half the boat's length, and these were added to while I collected a sack of apples and had a cuppa. One was "deposited" by me as I stowed the apples on the fore deck, the owner thought I was joking when I offered to return it from whence it had come - ashing shovel was to hand....

Thats a bit much really. Disgusting.

Yes I think most of the culprits are probably boaters who let their dogs off unsupervised whilst moored up. But then thats tarring all boaters with the same brush just like the assumption seems to be that all dog owners don't pick up etc etc. I agree it's unpleasant. Yes I think you can guess I'm a dog owner.

One was "deposited" by me

Well i hope you cleaned up after yourself.

Dog poo is bad enough but confessing to popping one out yourself is really crossing the line.

Yes I think most of the culprits are probably boaters who let their dogs off unsupervised whilst moored up.

Moored up?

One dog owner who posts here admits to letting their dogs run along the towpath unsupervised, while they are boating along.

If I understand you correctly and you were the complainer, then yes it is just you because there is a big difference between using a word that refers to part of the female genitalia as a swear word to castigate someone, versus a commonly used slang word for excrement. Well that is my take anyway.

But if you actually read my post you would see i was not complaining about the word used , i really dont care and would never be offended ,they are after all just words . Apparently this is a family forum , have been reminded of this twice now , so i will try not to use such bad language ever again.

I used to think that the Leeds and Liverpool stretch that runs behind our house was bad for dog muck, but after reading this thread I actually don't think it is quite as bad as I thought. Room for improvement yes, but there are many worse places it would seem.

Lady Lane Bridge on the Stratford... when I moored there last year the locals were piling baggies up against the bridge.

Parbold visitor moorings used to be pretty yuck as well.

You're all wrong. IME the worst place of all is the Aire and Calder towpath in Knottingley.So bad its like a game of stepping stones. What used to be an enjoyable walk has been ruined by a handful of dogwalkers who don't pick up. I agree with Alan and Cath. There is a North South divide when it comes to poo.