Boat Depreciation/Appreciation

Blackcountrymon

Featured Posts

Not suggesting that 'this is the one', but just to get your mind around the concept.

£18500 + £2000 to get it back to the UK - eg round to the Severn and into Bristol or wherever.

You can 'decorate', update, add personality, have a superb liveaboard. Look at the space !!

https://www.dutchbargesforsale.co.uk/barges_for_sale_in_holland/6276/11m_dutch_fishing_boat_conversion.html

The accomodation on this boat doesn't look too bad, but I think that it's far from an ideal boat for someone with only a young child that won't (for the time being) be a useful crew member, and the controls are too far from the stern to use the controls and do the ropework, as there's no door in the side of the wheelhouse.

For someone fairly experienced this will be less of a problem, but still not very practical for single handling.

Peter.

I currently have 2 x 143Hp 6 cylinder Fords.

I can tootle along on 1 engine at 2-3mph or both at 5mph

From reading the OPs requirements I am making the assumption that with work & school requirements, it will not be 'regularly leaving the marina', but would be suitable for an odd week or two trip in the school holidays.

Insulation - if not then it is not a difficult job.

I am making no recommendations just suggesting that an open minded view be taken on what best met her needs.

Nothing wrong with that, I am just putting in some points for Witchword to be aware of, this is her first boat and experience is a little thin.

I appreciate all the suggestions and I like having my thinking challenged. It's a bit harder for me to imagine living on a different style of boat, simply because I've been on narrowboats and stayed on them for holidays, and I haven't been on the other ones. Certainly in the marinas and on the canals here, you see far more narrowboats than any other kind; is that because they are easier/simpler/cheaper or maybe just more ubiquitous?

None of the marina people or the brokers I've spoken to have suggested looking at any other kinds.

I'll basically be crewing single handed so something simple to move would be good. And I want V to enjoy it and see it as an adventure, which is why I want the accommodation to have that pleasant 'feel'. We will have to choose between all our craft stuff (mainly hers) and other things like books (mainly mine), cooking and baking equipment (mainly mine), games and toys... and the camping gear (mine) unless we find an actual boat-shaped Tardis. But if the sale goes through I would like to move out of here asap and if it doesn't... well I will have to wait until (if) I can find another buyer. But again we'd be able to move out of here.

Do you think these sellers have a reason beyond generosity for offering the terms on their sale? It sounds too good to be true!

You should be learning about buying boats by now!

This is a very very old boat, and quite a small one.

If the survey finds it needs £7000 worth of overplating and the seller offers to pay the first £1500 this is NOT a good deal, In fact its a very very bad deal, and it sounds like you have to sign a document agreeing to this very very bad deal?

£2300 sounds a touch optimistic for a K&A mooring, especially in view of the new enforcement regime.

...............Dave

unless we find an actual boat-shaped Tardis.

Well there's this:

2446173000_2f6b6e78a0_z.jpg

Doctor Who's New Transport by mark landells, on Flickr

or this:

5621386269_b525ef89c1_z.jpg

or this:

4898592660_4dfbc55d16_m.jpg

or even this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/washuugenius/9278453733/in/photostream/

or indeed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9d-YNLx5q0

• Greenie 1

A kitchen is part of your 'living space', a bedroom is just for sleeping in - if there is enough room to get undressed, get into bed and be comfortable (long enough & wide enough) then its big enough.

Living space on a boat is always a compromise so you MUST maximise what you can get.

Whatever boat you buy will not be exactly how you want it after living aboard for a few months. We bought the 'perfect boat' (according to SWMBO, even the curtains were just right). In the last 6 months we have altered all of the wiring, changed the bed arrangement, replaced some wooden trim and renewed the curtains - and its not finished yet.

Buy something physically/structurally 'near' what you want, decoration and furnishings can be easily changed either before you move in, or after.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Would you rate living and kitchen space higher or lower than sleeping space(s)?

Spend a bit less but do some work- tidying, cleaning, painting- before you can move in... or spend a bit more and have it all ready as you like it?

When you say 'tidying and cleaning,' I assume you're talking about DIY-level stuff rather than literally going round with a hoover and a damp cloth, picking up crisp packets and straightening the cushions? I mean, I don't like housework, but I wouldn't spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to avoid a few hours of it!

Many DIY type jobs, though, I would personally spend some money to avoid, because I absolutely hate DIY and am spectacularly unskilled at it. But only you know how you feel about doing such jobs yourself. What I would say is, don't assume you can get all those 'little' jobs done cheaply by somebody else - in my experience, they can very quickly add up, to the point where a more expensive boat in ready-to-go condition might make more sense.

In terms of decor - painting, soft furnishings etc. - there's no reason to think you'd have to 'spend a bit more' to get what you want, just because everyone's tastes are different. We went full-on hippy kitsch with our boat - cowprint cushion covers, orange-and-fuschia curtains etc. - but I don't know that we either added or detracted from the value. It probably attracted some potential buyers and put others off.

...oh, and I suppose living space has to come before sleeping space just because it's in use more of the time. I seem to remember that Graham Booth, in his book on planning narrowboats, takes the view that fixed beds are pretty much a waste of space on most boats and it makes far more sense to have, say, a convertible dinette that's useful to you during the 16 hours a day when you're not in bed.

For me it was quite important that the living space was what I wanted structurally- I'm happy to repaint and recover or re tile, but I didn't want to install a new dinette. Because I do a lot of painting at a table and my wife does a lot of jigsawing (yes we are nerds) a table was a must.

Second viewing on Sunday. Anything I should ask or particularly check? I'm taking a tape measure!

I've been told that moving/removing bulkheads and built-in furniture can be problematic because it can mean you have to reline the boat. Can anyone share their experience of doing that?

Are there any deal breakers that I might not know about? Polystyrene insulation? Leaky window seals? The wrong sort of kitchen cupboards? Anything I might think, oh that's ok, I can live with that- and your experience might suggest otherwise?

Polystyrene insulation is common on older boats, but not a particularly good insulator, burns easily, gives of noxious fumes and must be removed if welding adjacent to it.

That said an awful lot of boats have it.

In the early 90's spray foam became popular, and I believe it has the highest insulation value. It is more flame retardent and eliminates condensation (if applied properly) because it is in direct contact with the steel.

Other common insulators are:

Rigid pu board (cellotex or similar). Excellent if done properly, but has potential for gaps to the steelwork, thus condensation.

Rockwool, as above, but must stop well above the bilge so that it can't wick water from there.

Thinsulate, similar to rockwool, but a higher insulating value. My boat has this.

Main deal breaker is a thin hull. Get a survey on this before buying.

Congratulations - we can stop looking now.

Problem is tomorrow you will have buyers remorse and be in the depths of depression over what a huge mistake you have made - keep going as it gets better from there on.

But, but, but - where is V's bedroom ?

Well done.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Oh dear, there's no turning back now.

Well done and welcome to our world!

smile.pngclapping.gifsmile.png

Buyer's remorse, what's that?

Well, I suppose I've had lots of that in the past with other stuff but never, ever about the boat, even if it is the most expensive thing we've ever bought.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Congratulations - we can stop looking now.

Problem is tomorrow you will have buyers remorse and be in the depths of depression over what a huge mistake you have made - keep going as it gets better from there on.

But, but, but - where is V's bedroom ?

Well done.

ohmy.png Not buyers' remorse!

V's bedroom- there's so much space at the stern that her bunks (or a single if I can find one cheap) will fit in the bedroom. Then we can separate the two 'rooms' with a curtain... or just leave them open for now. Essentially she will have a space of her own and a permanent bed (not a make-up) and I think that's ok for now. We might even be able to fit her wardrobe in at the foot of the fixed bed to create a screen and set up a sense of a room for her. If our needs change, we'll change the boat. Or change the boat!

Thanks guys. Hoping excitement pays a visit overnight. Trying to plan what I'll be able to fit in and how I can maximise the books-and-cooking-gear spaces.

ohmy.png Not buyers' remorse!

V's bedroom- there's so much space at the stern that her bunks (or a single if I can find one cheap) will fit in the bedroom. Then we can separate the two 'rooms' with a curtain... or just leave them open for now. Essentially she will have a space of her own and a permanent bed (not a make-up) and I think that's ok for now. We might even be able to fit her wardrobe in at the foot of the fixed bed to create a screen and set up a sense of a room for her. If our needs change, we'll change the boat. Or change the boat!

Thanks guys. Hoping excitement pays a visit overnight. Trying to plan what I'll be able to fit in and how I can maximise the books-and-cooking-gear spaces.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and progress through the whole scenario, in a similar situation here, good luck with everything.