Boat Depreciation/Appreciation

Blackcountrymon

Featured Posts

Thanks smile.png Anyone know Michael Clarke? I ask because he's £125 cheaper than Craig Allen- yes, I know it's not a reason on its own but two prices is useful to see the average.

I'm afraid I can't recommend Michael Clarke. He has big adverts in the canal magazines and I used him to survey the boat I purchased. I couldn't attend the survey myself because of work commitments (big mistake in itself) and the boat was lying 200 miles away. So I paid for the survey in advance and he was met by the seller. The survey went well and he found no serious faults with the boat. However before he left the seller sat Mr Clarke down with a cup of coffee and said to him: "So, how much do you think this boat is worth then?" Remember Michael Clarke was working for me and paid by me and yet he gave the seller a valuation which was £9,000 more than the price I had already agreed!! The first I knew of this was that evening when I returned from work to receive a phone call from the seller saying he had re-listed the boat on Apollo Duck for 9 grand more, and I was welcome to negotiate. When I then phoned Michael Clarke to point out that his valuation was valuable confidential information that belonged to me he just said: "Oh well if the sale doesn't go through I'll refund the cost of the survey." Basically he couldn't care less.

That boat was the culmination of 4 years of research and looking for the right boat, and I was furious with Michael Clarke. In the end after much tense negotiation I did secure the boat for the price I'd originally agreed but it was no thanks to Michael Clarke, and I have plenty more grey hairs as a consequence.

I'm afraid I can't recommend Michael Clarke. He has big adverts in the canal magazines and I used him to survey the boat I purchased. I couldn't attend the survey myself because of work commitments (big mistake in itself) and the boat was lying 200 miles away. So I paid for the survey in advance and he was met by the seller. The survey went well and he found no serious faults with the boat. However before he left the seller sat Mr Clarke down with a cup of coffee and said to him: "So, how much do you think this boat is worth then?" Remember Michael Clarke was working for me and paid by me and yet he gave the seller a valuation which was £9,000 more than the price I had already agreed!! The first I knew of this was that evening when I returned from work to receive a phone call from the seller saying he had re-listed the boat on Apollo Duck for 9 grand more, and I was welcome to negotiate. When I then phoned Michael Clarke to point out that his valuation was valuable confidential information that belonged to me he just said: "Oh well if the sale doesn't go through I'll refund the cost of the survey." Basically he couldn't care less.

That boat was the culmination of 4 years of research and looking for the right boat, and I was furious with Michael Clarke. In the end after much tense negotiation I did secure the boat for the price I'd originally agreed but it was no thanks to Michael Clarke, and I have plenty more grey hairs as a consequence.

Unbelievable! What a twerp.

A startling cautionary tale indeed, Mr.Streak, thank you for telling it. Referring back to Witchy's post no. 275, it appears to be an example of "you get what you pay for" - though I should add that I have no personal experience of this surveyor.

A startling cautionary tale indeed, Mr.Streak, thank you for telling it. Referring back to Witchy's post no. 275, it appears to be an example of "you get what you pay for" - though I should add that I have no personal experience of this surveyor.

Worse than that, it seems to be a case of "somebody else gets what you pay for"!

Last time I checked, I was smile.png

Although it's a long time since I was asked for ID in a bar so maybe 'girl' is now an optimistic term!?

Don't worry, I can measure AND do DIY sort of jobs. Got my own hammer, y'know construction.gif

Good on you for doing the DIY, one tip, do not use a spirit level on a boat. happy.png

I don't want to say who we used, because I'm not 100% convinced that he was great- yet. However this is what I learnt- the most expensive ones aren't always the best. Go with a recommendation (we did) and then still expect that they might not be fantastic.

Ask how long until you get a paper copy- I felt that ours took a long time- and I'm not sure if that is the usual case or we were just inexperienced.

We sent questions over email that weren't answered and because of our inexperience have ended up without a BSS updated- so my advice- push for what you need.

Having said that the surveyor that we went with has always offered suggestions and advice (in as much as he can) over the phone and that has been valuable- especially for two very nervous ladies.

I took pictures when I went to the boat also- take notes of what he is saying- I forget things easily.

Yes, it's sort of a prerequisite for us with me working and my daughter needing to stay at school (minimising disruption for her). There is a field of one where we are though so it wasn't a hard choice! Maybe later on, I'll look for a home mooring on the canal itself- but that's far in the future. How about you?

I don't want to say who we used, because I'm not 100% convinced that he was great- yet. However this is what I learnt- the most expensive ones aren't always the best. Go with a recommendation (we did) and then still expect that they might not be fantastic.

Ask how long until you get a paper copy- I felt that ours took a long time- and I'm not sure if that is the usual case or we were just inexperienced.

We sent questions over email that weren't answered and because of our inexperience have ended up without a BSS updated- so my advice- push for what you need.

Having said that the surveyor that we went with has always offered suggestions and advice (in as much as he can) over the phone and that has been valuable- especially for two very nervous ladies.

I took pictures when I went to the boat also- take notes of what he is saying- I forget things easily.

My boat was surveyed with me present on the Saturday.

Surveyor discussed his finding with me and explained things as he went along.

Received email copy of survey on the following Tuesday and the new BSS certificate about a week later.

Edited to add that the whole process from first seeing the boat, haggling, surveying, further haggling and collecting it took 23 days.

Edited by cuthound