food safe hose not cassette

boatboss

Featured Posts

Sometimes I sit here and have to laugh at some of the posts on here. What is the op thinking about posting a question like that ??

What does he think will happen to him if he fills his water tank up with water used from his " garden hose " . A hose is a bloody hose it doesn't matter if it's red blue or pink with spots on.

As onionbargee said flush it through for a minute then use it, don't make life so complicated.

Well I would have thought it was like most things in life " use some common sense "

Darren

I'm really am not knocking him, just his question It's only a hose pipe it's not as if we are trying to send some man to mars.

Darren

Well, well, well that was some really helpful posts.

The OP had a genuine query and others have helped him to make a decision.

He has probably used his common sense as to the way forward.

The question and sensible answers have also probably helped others with their 'common sense' decisions

No one has mentioned this, though it has been discussed by the forum on previous occasions: as most people do not drink the water from their boat's water tank, why would a food-safe hose be needed to fill it?

I thought most people did drink water from their tank? I do. Like most people I also make tea and cook with it. As far as I am aware, boiling water doesn't evaporate away any phthalate plasticisers which have leached out of PVC. Of course using an old PVC garden hose to fill your tank won't kill you, but why would I want to intentionally add to the plethora of endocrine disrupting chemicals that I already ingest?

http://pollutioninpeople.org/toxics/phthalates

http://www.sustainableproduction.org/downloads/PhthalateAlternatives-January2011.pdf

I thought most people did drink water from their tank? I do. Like most people I also make tea and cook with it. As far as I am aware, boiling water doesn't evaporate away any phthalate plasticisers which have leached out of PVC. Of course using an old PVC garden hose to fill your tank won't kill you, but why would I want to intentionally add to the plethora of endocrine disrupting chemicals that I already ingest?

http://pollutioninpeople.org/toxics/phthalates

http://www.sustainableproduction.org/downloads/PhthalateAlternatives-January2011.pdf

From what I can make out that the only advantage of buying a food safe hose is peace of mind …… and an awkward hose to store.

Think about it; based on the literature quoted; sources of phthalates are so proliferate elsewhere the miniscule amounts shed from a properly purged non-food safe hose are not worth worrying about!

;)

Not sure if that's true. Where did you get that information from?

BS6920 Water Quality Testing: Specifies requirements for the suitability of non-metallic products, with regard to their effect on the quality of water intended for human consumption.

http://hep2o.wavin.com/Hep2o/Standards_and_Approvals.html

Perhaps some normal PCV garden hoses also meet BS6920, but I'm sure many would not, as carrying water for human consumption isn't really their primary function.

But that is quite recent legislation, what about those of us who have Hep20 (and it's Acorn predecessor) in the boat, some of which is 30 years old?

I got food quality hose for my boat. I wish I didn't it is a right royal pain in the ....

It is much thicker than normal because it has two or three layers to it and is difficult to roll around the trolley thing. I also had to cut a long length of it off as it wouldn't all fit. Despite me buying both from the same place and asking them to confirm that it would fit.

We also have blue (presumably food safe) hose on our boat, it is very thick and heavy, and has developed a memory which makes re-winding it a challenge. We have got used to that over the years, but my biggest complaint is having to hoist all of it out of the (very deep) front well to connect to a tap only two metres away. I would love to cut it into a short and long length for ease of access to nearby taps, but I cannot find any snap on connectors which will accommodate the extra thick walled pipe.

I'm surprised at the number of people who let their hose dangle in the canal water, then put the end of the hose inside their water tank. Sure, If the water is running it means that there is no canal water getting in the pipe but it will be on the outside of the hose. I know it's only a little bit, but I'd rather not deliberately put any canal water in my drinking water.

Well isn't the water in the taps old? Not fresh like bottled water.

Sue

We always have and always will drink water straight from the tap I am not buying water from a shop and humping it down the towpath, nearly as daft as humping a cassette down the towpath isnt it.... ;)

I'm surprised at the number of people who let their hose dangle in the canal water, then put the end of the hose inside their water tank. Sure, If the water is running it means that there is no canal water getting in the pipe but it will be on the outside of the hose. I know it's only a little bit, but I'd rather not deliberately put any canal water in my drinking water.

I have watched boat yards on change over day filling the water tanks, dragging the hose from boat to boat through the canal water. Likewise I see lots of boat with a coil of hose just thrown on the floor of the well deck or even left laying on the roof of the boat with the ends open to the elements, dirt, creepy crawlies and whatever else happens to be about.

I don't see any of them dying but I wouldn't do it. I always drain mine and seal both ends, before using it next time I flush it through for a bit with fresh water.

Letting it dangle in the water after dragging it down the faeces-ridden towpath just to make sure? :o

That's why I have made a short length of HEP2O hose adapted to clip into a hozelock adapter on the end of our hose. It means that you only put the HEP2O nozzle into the filler. The end nozzle is kept somewhere clean inside the boat. We have always drunk the water from our boat tanks which have always been filled with standard garden hoses.

Roger

Edited by Albion

From what I can make out that the only advantage of buying a food safe hose is peace of mind …… and an awkward hose to store.

Think about it; based on the literature quoted; sources of phthalates are so proliferate elsewhere the miniscule amounts shed from a properly purged non-food safe hose are not worth worrying about!

;)

I'm not worrying, I have a food grade hose which is flat and very easy to store.

Since a food grade hose doesn't cost much more than a garden hose it doesn't seem so outrageous to use one. On the other hand, those who aren't bothered about the issue at all might decisde to plumb out their whole boat in PVC garden hose because it's cheap...

It all comes down to personal choice.

But that is quite recent legislation, what about those of us who have Hep20 (and it's Acorn predecessor) in the boat, some of which is 30 years old?

It's a British Standard, rather than legislation. The link I posted was about Hep20? :unsure:

I've no idea about which previous British Standards old plastic plumbing would have conformed to.

Edited by blackrose

On the other hand, those who aren't bothered about the issue at all might decisde to plumb out their whole boat in PVC garden hose because it's cheap...

We have been here before though!

To me there is a very significant difference between a filling up hose where water is in contact with the sides for only a very few seconds between water point and your fresh water tank, and onboard plumbing where, (on a non live-aboard boat), it can lie in the same pipe for weeks.

Hardly comparable, is it ?

• Greenie 2

Boredom i think,i avoid them,wasting my Gorillabites ''data''.Like i bought a box of matches today.there was supposed to be 50 in it and when i counted them there was only 49.

Oh! that explains it. I've got your match. My box had 51.

taslim.

We have been here before though!

To me there is a very significant difference between a filling up hose where water is in contact with the sides for only a very few seconds between water point and your fresh water tank, and onboard plumbing where, (on a non live-aboard boat), it can lie in the same pipe for weeks.

Hardly comparable, is it ?

I didn't say it was comparable, I was merely suggesting that someone might wish to plumb their boat in this way if their personal decision deemed it appropriate.

For you, the issue of standing water in a PVC hosepipe is something you wouldn't want and that's where you've decided to draw the line, but I've heard of others who have plumbed their entire boat in ordinary (non-food grade) nylon braided PVC hose, and they might say that you are worrying too much. As for myself, I decided I don't even want to run my drinking water through a non-food grade PVC hose.

Some people still think it's a good idea to lay in the sun and get a tan, others carry on smoking, I ride a motorbike despite knowing the risks - if I make a single mistake or somebody else does it will kill me far quicker than plasticisers will. As with everything else, it all comes down to personal choice.

Edited by blackrose

Most people? :unsure:

I would think so, yes. We discussed this on here a couple of years ago and the majority of respondees either didn't drink the tap water from their boat or fitted some sort of purifier into the plumbing system.

Mrsmelly, you don't need to buy it, you get it from either your tap at home and bring it with you, or from a BW tap. As for "humping" it, a plastic container or a few plastic ex-pop bottles of water are easy to carry for any reasonably fit person. By drinking that water, they have more chance of staying reasonably fit.

I would think so, yes. We discussed this on here a couple of years ago and the majority of respondees either didn't drink the tap water from their boat or fitted some sort of purifier into the plumbing system.

Mrsmelly, you don't need to buy it, you get it from either your tap at home and bring it with you, or from a BW tap. As for "humping" it, a plastic container or a few plastic ex-pop bottles of water are easy to carry for any reasonably fit person. By drinking that water, they have more chance of staying reasonably fit.

Ahh

Now luckily for me my boat IS my home, I sold my house in 2007 its still worth loads less than I sold it for :D and the only bottles i buy have beer in them life is far far too short to drink water, never have, never will........... :)

Oh! that explains it. I've got your match. My box had 51.

taslim.

I worked with a chap who worked in a canning factory. Of ever she bought a tin of plumbs she would count the plums and stones. If there was more stones than plums she threw them all away.

We and most other boaters have used any old hosepipe to fill the water tanks over the years....nobody died.

Edited, crap spellimg

When I fill the tank I always use a garden hose. As a matter of course I add thin bleach to maintain the chlorine level (about 20ml to 100litres) and I add it through the hose by squirting the syringe through the tap connector. This has kept the hose sweet for the past four years.

We also have blue (presumably food safe) hose on our boat, it is very thick and heavy, and has developed a memory which makes re-winding it a challenge. We have got used to that over the years, but my biggest complaint is having to hoist all of it out of the (very deep) front well to connect to a tap only two metres away. I would love to cut it into a short and long length for ease of access to nearby taps, but I cannot find any snap on connectors which will accommodate the extra thick walled pipe.

Warm the ends of the hose in hot water and they will fit on normal snap on connectors. It is what I did.

I worked with a chap who worked in a canning factory. Of ever she bought a tin of plumbs she would count the plums and stones. If there was more stones than plums she threw them all away.

Why?

as a little aside... a friend of mine who works for the local water utility always refers to potable water as 'the dirty stuff' ....

Yep, I have a mate who works on the sewage side for a utility and he uses the same phrase for household supply :)