Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

As someone who had to tolerate frequent xenophobic insults during my childhood years because of my surname, I was rather glad that by the 1960's, such behaviour was beginning to become unacceptable.

Your father could have changed his name. Having an apparently German name in a country which, in the previous thirty or forty years, had had 2 or 3 million of its young men needlessly butchered by Germans was "brave" to say the least.

King George V had the sense to change his name in 1917, and had your father done the same you would have been spared a lot of grief.

Yes I hope he hasnt gone for good. The world is saturated by pc correct plonkers and we need more people who call a spade a spade as the saying goes rather than people who worry about every comment they make in case it simple isnt pc..... :rolleyes:

Edited by Bob the welder

Your father could have changed his name. Having an apparently German name in a country which, in the previous thirty or forty years, had had 2 or 3 million of its young men needlessly butchered by Germans was "brave" to say the least.

King George V had the sense to change his name in 1917, and had your father done the same you would have been spared a lot of grief.

Since my last post where I said that my family came over from Germany just five years after WWII and that I met no prejudice at school, I have spoken to my German borne mother who came over and she has confirmed that she met only kindness and consideration from the folk she met despite having a heavy German accent.

Either Mr Schweizer was unlucky or we were very lucky. My perception is that there is more anti-German feeling today due to the efforts of rags such as the Sun newspaper than in the aftermath of the conflict itself.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Since my last post where I said that my family came over from Germany just five years after WWII and that I met no prejudice at school, I have spoken to my German borne mother who came over and she has confirmed that she met only kindness and consideration from the folk she met despite having a heavy German accent.

Either Mr Schweizer was unlucky or we were very lucky. My perception is that there is more anti-German feeling today due to the efforts of rags such as the Sun newspaper than in the aftermath of the conflict itself.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Probably a bit of both, and a lot would depend on where people were. I wouldn't have liked to have a German-sounding name after the war in Coventry, for example.

But I agree about the xenophobia of the modern gutter press.

In my school, in the fifties, war comics were popular. Given what was known by that time, and the short time that had elapsed since the end of the war, Germans were portrayed in a surprisingly favourable light.

However, it is all history now.

I suggest you read the forum rules.

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this forum to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, speculative,, inaccurate, aimed to deceive, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law."

Its funny how the ones in bold are the only ones you seem to notice. The one just after is regularirly contravened when it suits "invasion of a person's privacy". The use of any other website to gain knowledge and blurt it out on here always seems to have been fair game. And the "harassing" that goes on on this site is almost 2nd to none. Also its always aimed directly at someone too. Far worse than any joke IMHO.

hey ho.

off to work i go.

catch you later girls

• Greenie 1

Its funny how the ones in bold are the only ones you seem to notice. The one just after is regularirly contravened when it suits "invasion of a person's privacy". The use of any other website to gain knowledge and blurt it out on here always seems to have been fair game. And the "harassing" that goes on on this site is almost 2nd to none. Also its always aimed directly at someone too. Far worse than any joke IMHO.

hey ho.

off to work i go.

catch you later girls

COME BACK GIBBO WE ALL LOVE YOU..................... :cheers:

• Greenie 1

hey ho.

Maybe you only notice the one's in bold because they are the ones you deliberately contravene because you think you should have the right to.

As to the others, in the past, I have asked for a post to be edited, because it contravened my right to privacy and I can recall two occasions, where members have been banned or suspended, for threatening behaviour. So you are wrong to imply that these rules are not enforced by the moderators.

I don't know what using other websites, to gain knowledge and pass it on, has to do with the forum rules and the "harassing", as you call it, on this site is nothing, compared to the flame wars that go on elsewhere.

Whatever your opinion about how unfair the rules against your adult jokes are, they are still the rules and to persist in testing the site owner and his admin is just childish.

You have still to answer my question about why you feel the need to post adult material, on a family forum, when there is so much bandwidth available for that kind of humour.

Personally i think it is just pathetic mischief making and exactly the kind of "harassment" that you mention.

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

hey ho.

off to work i go.

catch you later girls

Don't understand the problem with that - if it's on a website it's already in the public domain anyway.

COME BACK GIBBO WE ALL LOVE YOU..................... :cheers:

No we don't.

Whatever your opinion about how unfair the rules against your adult jokes are, they are still the rules and to persist in testing the site owner and his admin is just childish.

You have still to answer my question about why you feel the need to post adult material, on a family forum, when there is so much bandwidth available for that kind of humour.

Ironic that it's called 'adult' humour when in reality it's mostly pathetically adolescent.

in other words, he was straight talking and didnt mince his words . . . . . . buuuuuuut, sometimes, a bit excitable and intimidating, lol. i reckon in real life, he is probably a nice guy, who at the end of the day does not suffer fools lightly. His beliefs were as strong as those of the pc brigade, and you have to have people with differing opinions to make sights like this work. DOWN WITH PC!!!!!

No. Straight talking is the simple explanation of facts without rudeness. Generally when people are described as 'not suffering fools gladly' it's polite code for 'he can be very rude'. There are a lot of people on this site who hold differing opinions who manage to hold endless debate without resorting to insults as an alternative to a cogent response to a rebuttal of their arguments.

You say down with PC, I agree that the more extreme applications of PC need to be curbed, but I wouldn't want to go back to the sort of society we had in the 70's.

No we don't.

snipped

While you're entitled to your views on the humour/not humour debate as a side issue, I would question whether you are happy to see the technical expertise diminished on this forum. Like him or loathe him his expertise was invaluable IMO.

Roger

It's having the wisdom to know what's appropriate for that particular forum. Now I'm a big Doug Stanhope fan, but I'm not going to go around posting his humour on CWDF. His last national radio interview went down like a lead balloon for similar reasons.

Just the same as if you took your family to a Harvester for Sunday lunch, you wouldn't expect to see a stripper.

It is nothing to do with being 'p.c.' it is everything to do with having consideration for our fellow members, who might not share your tastes.

i dont like bernard manning, used to live next door to him in Newquay, he was always pissed and bloody rude

Maybe, but he was also a caring soul.

I remember him recounting how every morning at 6am, he would carry his disabled mother down a flight of stairs to the kitchen of his house and when she'd finished making his full English breakfast, he would carry her all the way back up those stairs to her bed.

Couldn't be all that bad eh?

Mike

'Political correctness' started with the best of intentions as an attempt to codify good manners and decent behaviour. But this was inevitably going to upset everyone. Those who are already decent and polite are offended by the suggestion that they need a set of rules, and those who aren't are outraged at having their bad manners and inconsiderate behaviour curbed.

'PC' has become a blanket term of derision used by boors to dismiss any suggestion that they might consider others' feelings.

• Greenie 2

I would question whether you are happy to see the technical expertise diminished on this forum. Like him or loathe him his expertise was invaluable IMO.

Roger

So if he'd said "I'm only going to give advice on this forum if my avatar can be a photo of my penis." would you have said this is a price worth paying?

Gibbo had a choice about whether he wanted to abide by the rules or stop posting and he made that choice.

I think it is a great shame that he chose to leave but it is, at the end of the day, he who has diminished the level of expertise on the forum, not the mods or those who want to see it remain a family friendly place.

Gibbo was not banned for not abiding by the rules, he chose to leave because he didn't agree with them.

I don't think Ive ever seen as many reported posts for one 'gag' (none from pc girlies, infact only one report from a woman), so it had to go -

It is said that the female orgasm was invented so that women could still moan when they were

happy!

Coat.......

• Greenie 1

So if he'd said "I'm only going to give advice on this forum if my avatar can be a photo of my penis."

I appreciate that your observation was hypothetical, but in reality it would never have happened. He would have received the sometimes frustrating advice note; 'This photo is too large to be downloaded' :rolleyes:

Mike

Edited by Doorman

'PC' has become a blanket term of derision used by boors to dismiss any suggestion that they might consider others' feelings.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with you there.

Like the 'Human Rights Act', it has been exploited by those who wish to gain from its vagueness and by virtue, has tempered the truth when it needed to be heard most.

Mike

• Greenie 3

'Political correctness' started with the best of intentions as an attempt to codify good manners and decent behaviour. But this was inevitably going to upset everyone. Those who are already decent and polite are offended by the suggestion that they need a set of rules, and those who aren't are outraged at having their bad manners and inconsiderate behaviour curbed.

An Excellent and well made point have a greenie! I was thinking of posting along similar lines.

As for the OP then I learnt a lot from Gibbo and his website. I have also learnt a lot from others on the forum. It is a shame we have lost such a rich source of electrical expertise.

I didn't read the "joke" but from what has been described above I don't think I would have found it funny. I don't frequent the virtual pub or read the jokes in general as it is not what I come to the forum for. I do think it is a problem if people cannot restrain themselves on essentially a wide participation family orientated public forum. It as Chertsey says not about PC but about care for others and good manners. One may think there is no taboo subjects and it seems "right on" to say so but when there is a cost and someone does become offended and genuinely upset or hurt by the remarks however well intended it is a problem.

qrxjc5.png

The British Marine industry is a world leader. However, most people are busy making a living and spending hours on forums answering electrical questions, usually repetitive ones, is something more suited to the retired.

Either that or "file not found"

:P

So if he'd said "I'm only going to give advice on this forum if my avatar can be a photo of my penis." would you have said this is a price worth paying?

Gibbo had a choice about whether he wanted to abide by the rules or stop posting and he made that choice.

I think it is a great shame that he chose to leave but it is, at the end of the day, he who has diminished the level of expertise on the forum, not the mods or those who want to see it remain a family friendly place.

Gibbo was not banned for not abiding by the rules, he chose to leave because he didn't agree with them.

As usual Carl you exaggerate and allude to something that wasn't part of my posting. I was soley expressing my regret at the loss of an expert and regretting the tone of some posters gleeful 'Good riddance, sod off' type postings.

I agree that he chose to leave but would still welcome his expertise back here even with his robust postings on other matters. I can't comment on his 'joke' becaue I wasn't around to read it or the controversy that followed and I don't intend to comment on something I know nothing about, which rather negates the purpose of your posting highlighted above.

Roger