Where's Gibbo?

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Is there a list of acceptable words we can use, I wouldn't want to use any unacceptable ones. Whats acceptable to me might be unacceptable to others, who says whats aceptable and what is unacceptable. Where do i get a copy of this English vocabularty..??

I think the best thing to do is, unless it's blindingly obvious that they are offensive, use them but then accept the removal of them graciously, if the site owner tells you that he doesn't want them on his site.

I think most folk on here know what words are deemed unacceptable, on a family website, even if we don't necessarily agree about the level of offence caused by them.

Edited by carlt

xenophobic insults

With your wonderfully accurate signature I'm suprised it hasnt helped with the above and where jokes really do fall into the grand scheme of things.

Being a welshman I'm used to my fair share too, some are really really funny even if they do offend my welsh side.

It still manages to make me laugh. I lost my very best friend to cancer years ago but a good cancer joke will still make me laugh just as much as any other.

There is no such thing as a family website, just websites! there no such thing a safe pub for children, just pubs. Its the parents job to censor their children, not mine or anyone elses.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

As someone who had to tolerate frequent xenophobic insults during my childhood years because of my surname, I was rather glad that by the 1960's, such behaviour was beginning to become unacceptable.

I guess I was just lucky then. My family came over from Germany only five years after WWII but I never suffered any insults xenophobic or otherwise during my childhood years. No , I am mistaken, I was occasionally teased because I am a 'four eyes' i.e. I wear glasses. But hey ho nothings perfect.

Regards

Ditchdabbler

Sounds like he wanted an excuse to leave in blaze of other members criticising the moderators. And it's worked. Why else post something like that?

Either that or it's a wind up.

Whatever people care to speculate about reasons, getting back to the original thread, this place is the poorer for the loss of his technical knowledge IMO.

I, for one, would welcome his reappearance.

Roger

Sounds like he wanted an excuse to leave in blaze of other members criticising the moderators. And it's worked.

Has it?

I don't think the moderators have had too much flak over it as Gibbo deliberately put them, and himself, in an impossible position.

Here's one to start with:-

cleopatra.jpg

I didn't know they had camera's 2000 odd years ago.

However my Cleopatra has much more mezmereyesingeyes,precious stones no less, a Ruby to port and an Emerald to starboard. :rolleyes:

Edited by bizzard

Gibbo's technical nouse was second to one and reading his posts taught me an immense ammount. I too have been on the thick end of his keyboard on occasions but that did not particularly bother me as I have grown a pretty thick skin over the years of being on here.

However - no body is above the 'law' so to speak and no matter how good any body is in a particular area it does not entitle them to flout the forum rules and guidelines - decisions the mods. make should be accepted with good grace, that is how it is.

One thing I learned after doing a similar thing on another forum many years ago is never through a challenge a mod to be banned or remove an offensive post, invariably your post will be removed and if you have openly challenged them to ban you you highly likely will be. That said I think the mods on here would take a more lenient approach even in that scenario.

So he has gone (even though I would wager a good lump he still views the forum either as a guest or logged in anonymously). There is as already said all the knowledge on the excellent Smartgauge web site and, folk need to get over it - judging him by his on line persona I think it highly unlikely he will come back, he is just too arrogant to do that, it would however be good to be proved wrong.

I left once because a very unsavoury joke wasn't removed. I didn't do it to make a point; it had just suddenly become the sort of forum I didn't want to be involved with. It's one thing for individuals to make offensive and potentially dangerous comments, but it is another thing entirely if these are effectively given an official seal of approval by the mods refusing to take action. It's good to see that in this case they did - even if that did play into Gibbo's hands.

He didnt leave because of my elec diagrams did he?????? :lol:

Come back Gibbo...I'm sorrieeeeeeeee

I don't think it was the diagram but your use of batts, separating them and, charging in diverse ways totally against conventional and Gibbo wisdom :cheers:

He didnt leave because of my elec diagrams did he?????? :lol:

Come back Gibbo...I'm sorrieeeeeeeee

Perhaps he thought,oh well,i don't think i'm needed anymore, now that DeanS has risen to the fore with the electrical agony column.

... judging him by his on line persona I think it highly unlikely he will come back, he is just too arrogant to do that, it would however be good to be proved wrong.

I don't think he'll be back. He didn't like the forum rules, so why should he play here? It doesn't really have anything to do with arrogance, merely pragmatism.

Tony

I didn't know they had camera's 2000 odd years ago.

However my Cleopatra has much more mezmereyesingeyes,precious stones no less, a Ruby to port and an Emerald to starboard. :rolleyes:

It is said that Cleopatra was no beauty but I think she must have looked a bit better than your avatar to mezmerise Mark Anthony and Julius Caesar.

No a fat finger mis type - well spotted.

Though I hear Bizzard is good at all this electrickery stuff....

So kind,but i fear i'm too shy and modest,and would feel rather ashamed if i put all the other electrical chaps in the shade.''Ahem'' so i shall abstain from the dizzy heights of Captaincy of the all things electrical agony topics columns. :closedeyes:

On a forum where I once particpated, there were regular "I'm leaving because the mods are nasty to me/you don't appriciate me enough" incidences. These prima donnas would spit their dummies out, and 'leave'. Inevitably, pages of "please don't go/please come back/you are so wunderbar" would be followed by the thriumpant return of the prima donna. And more sagrin soon after.

• Greenie 1