JP2 - speedwheel or morse?

Featured Posts

.--. .-. --- -... .- -... .-.. -.-- / -... . ... - / - .... .- - / -.-- --- ..- / -.. ---

Tony :lol:

-.-- --- ..- / ..-. --- ..- -. -.. / - .... . / ... .- -- . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / .- ... / -- . / - .... . -.

Richard

I suspect the answers you get will depend on what people have themselves.

However, if by modern trad shell you mean the engine will be at the very back more or less below you feet like a modern engine often is the I think it can be a lot harder to fit a speedwheel arrangement and so a more control is likely to be a more practical option. There is no real issue with a low revving engine and a morse control you will have as much control as a speedwheel.

If the engine is to be in a separate engine room then I would go for the speedwheel option although it is likely to be the more expensive route unless you can get the parts made (or make them yourself) cheaply.

The speedwheel option is great when you get used to it and having a separate gear selection leaver but it does look the part. Morse is very practical and cables and spares can be bought at most/all chandlers so yer pays yer money and makes yer choice.

-.-- --- ..- / ..-. --- ..- -. -.. / - .... . / ... .- -- . / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / - .-. .- -. ... .-.. .- - --- .-. / .- ... / -- . / - .... . -.

Richard

Tee hee.

PC

on topic, sorry:

.. -.. ..- ... . .- -- --- .-. ... . ... - -.-- .-.. . -.-. --- -. - .-. --- .-.. .- -. -.. -... . -.. --- -. . .-- .. - .... .. -

PC

Edited by paulcatchpole

Couldn't what gearbox is fitted have a bearing ?

If something like a modern PRM, then presumably a Morse type single control working both speed and gears is an option if that's your style.

But if it has a big mechanical box needing some kind of big push pull lever, or gear wheel, then it would seem a bit odd to use the Morse just for speed, (to me, at least).

Personally if it's a JP, I'd have thought the speed-wheel more appropriate, but some, it seems, can't get on with them, even if they have an old engine.

If the engine is to be in a separate engine room...

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified that - the boat has a traditional boatmans and engine room.

This is for someone else, and my feelings were speedwheel, but I was just polling here to see if I was being biased or not.

Another vote for speedwheel if the set up allows it. Having separate throttle and gear controls would always be my preference. Setting upo the gear change might be harder than setting up the throttle though. I'm no expert but I know we still haven't quite got Warrior's (push-pull) right.

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified that - the boat has a traditional boatmans and engine room.

This is for someone else, and my feelings were speedwheel, but I was just polling here to see if I was being biased or not.

Ah well, speedwheel it is then!

We have an old engine (Gardner) with a modern gearbox (PRM). We have a Morse control which does its job just fine. Mrs. Athy was resistant to the idea of speedwheel controls as she felt that she would need to grow a third hand in order to operate them. I have never driven a boat which was fitted with the traditional controls so I'm not sure how the performance of the two systems compares.

If, as I think has been stated, the boat layout is, back cabin, engine room etc. then surely the length of the Morse cables would be prohibitive.

I stand to corrected it is only my thought, totally unqualified to actually know.

If, as I think has been stated, the boat layout is, back cabin, engine room etc. then surely the length of the Morse cables would be prohibitive.

I stand to corrected it is only my thought, totally unqualified to actually know.

Not really, you can get some very long morse cables. For instance you often need very long cables for wheel steering set-ups to and from a wheel house. I agree though that being in an engine room a speedwheel set-up is no problem and better from a traditional point of view unless one can't get on with a separate gear control.

We have an old engine (Gardner) with a modern gearbox (PRM). We have a Morse control which does its job just fine. Mrs. Athy was resistant to the idea of speedwheel controls as she felt that she would need to grow a third hand in order to operate them. I have never driven a boat which was fitted with the traditional controls so I'm not sure how the performance of the two systems compares.

The trick is that you don't operate them simultaneously... :lol:

Yes, I guessed that, Chertsey! I can imagine it being simple when one is pootling along normally but tricky to use when quick, e.g. evasive, action is required.

Bottle, I didn't mention it, but our Morse control does run through the back cabin (about eight feet long) to the engine room, and it seems to work positively.

Edited by Athy

Speedwheel is definately the way to go.... although I would recommend placing it in a position which would give you a nasty crack on your head each time you went into, or came out of your cabin.

Saying that though it's not usually the speedwheels which do that, but the gear wheels. Ouch :lol:

Yes, I guessed that, Chertsey! I can imagine it being simple when one is pootling along normally but tricky to use when quick, e.g. evasive, action is required.

Bottle, I didn't mention it, but our Morse control does run through the back cabin (about eight feet long) to the engine room, and it seems to work positively.

Actually in a real emergency you can be norty and slam it into reverse without reducing the revs for even quicker evasive action.

Morse controls are for little van engines not real engines.

A friend of mine bought a nice little tug a couple of years back fitted with a 3 cylinder Gardner. When he got the surveyors report it stated it wouldn't be a major job to remove the speed wheel and gear change to replace them with a more usable Morse control system.

Thanks all for the replies reference Morse cables and usability.

Whilst watching and admiring the work boats at Braunston recently, I noticed that those with speed-wheels etc, anticipated earlier and could if necessary change direction (forward/reverse) just as quick, maybe quicker than I could with my Morse.