Braunston Historic Narrowboat Rally 26th-27th June

Featured Posts

I might be there - easily recognisable as the idiot on crutches . . .

I thought that was Alan Fincher.

Charming!

At least if Carl is there he has another visual clue to stop him getting Graham and Allan Jones mixed up, though!......

Naah! They make too much noise when you squeeze 'em.

Anyone got a nice piece of tree trunk for the ram?

Derek

My uncle runs a wood yard. What type of wood - what is it currently? I will get measurements at the weekend.

Well that's just cheating :lol:

Rule 1 of Bridge'ole Chicken

Welding things to the bow in order to scare your opponant into submission will not be tolerated..

Rivetting please not welding!!!

Neither of the two SALTAIRE's are examples of "various boats were welded together to make one". The original stern end has a 'new' fore end started by Doug Greaves in about 1979 and completed by Dave Harris in about 1987, whilst the original fore end has a 'new' stern end built by Mike Harrison (no relation) in about 1987.

They are pretty easy to tell apart as the original stern / new fore end was rebuilt as a 50' tug whilst the original fore end / new stern end was rebuilt as a full length carrying motor boat.

Don`t know about the original stern part but Pete is correct about the other part.My cousin Mike Harrison aquired the BW work boat with a horrible rear counter section the motor was in the BM`s cabin, the boat was cut approx 15 feet from the stern & a complete rear end was fabricated, engine was put back in original position etc. This was carried out on the dock at Langley Mill in Late 86/87. He sold the boat around 5/6 years ago

Rivetting please not welding!!!

Yes indeed, and overplated within the bow sections (hence the extra rivets) doubling the thickness there, along with substantial supporting brackets that extend from a stout triangulation behind the two inch thick solid ram (it replaces the original stem post) eight feet back into the hold, and gunnel capping in five eights x six inches wide steel - all courtesy of Bulls Bridge 1942. :lol:

Derek

My uncle runs a wood yard. What type of wood - what is it currently?

Rotten - and falling off . . . :lol:

Myself and "Capricorn" will be going up on Friday and will be in the marina arm if I can find any space by then.

Come and say hello - and admire my brasses at probably the only time this year when they'll be proper shiney.

Paul H

Passed Empress and Success earlier at Fradley which are loaded, Dove is setting off tomorrow afternoon.

I went past Chertsey earlier at Kings Bromley, they then passed me when I was tied in Fradley and I went past them at Huddlesford Junction. They haven't caught up yet.

I am at the bottom of Atherstone at the mo, ready to get up first thing.

If it gets there? Or has Sarah sorted the problems out now?

Ling will be there. She is currently moored with Cactus at Stretton. Sarah and Joe met us at the bottom of Atherstone of Sunday morning. They then over-took us at Nuneaton due to an operator induced fueling error (I forgot to fill the day tank - muppet - and the Bolinder can be a pain to bleed through).

So far about 26 boats have arrived: Ian, Aldgate, Cypus, Sagitta, Manchuria, Venice, Kestel, Clover, Fazely, Owl, Mecca, Victoria, Joseph, Callisto, Themis, Saltaire, Panther, Ara, Archimedes, Beatty, Sickle, Cedar, Hare, Atlantic, Adamant, Laplander. Also Vesta, Atalanta, Betelgeuse and James Loader in the vicinity.

Looks like being a good turn out. Might even beat last year's record of 84 boats.

Edited by koukouvagia

Well I've been trying to find the answer to David's original question!

Namely which actual day(s) will people be there....

I can find very few who appear to have committed to a particular day, but an awful lot who may be there for the duration....

I think it's something like.....

All weekend with boats....

Koukouvagia (Owl)

Speedwheel (Cactus ?)

Grunders ? (Well Beatty at least)

Dove

Liam (Arial)

MikeAskin (Victoria)

KeithL

Tim Lewis ? / David Mack ? (Fulbourne)

Chertsey (Sarah/Jim - Fade to Scarlet & Black Ibis squatting ?)

Paul H (Capricorn)

Rick-n-Jo (with horse)

All weekend probably without boats

David Schweizer

Jeannette Smith Harrison

Daniel "Hutch" (squatting somewhere, no doubt)

Saturday ?

Woolymishka

Us

Sunday ?

Stagedamager

Undecided

imnogeek

The "Moomins"

Sue1946 (possibly ?)

Alnwick (crutches permitting!)

Is that even vaguely anywhere near the current situation, please ? (I'm totally confident I'll have got some of it wrong!....)

Corrections ? Additions ?

So, with most of you there both days it seems, and only a few of us as day visitors, what plans, if any for any "mini-banter" type meet ups ?

Anyone going to suggest anything formal, or do we all walk around missing each other ? :lol:

Edited by alan_fincher

I may be going on the Sunday. I can't go on the Saturday as I have to be elsewhere (Cambridge), but if I manage to get organised I may go on Sunday. So far I have missed the show and really want to go! I will probably be the dazed looking one with the equally dazed looking dog.

Edited by Bones

The Moomins will be there on Sunday.

Bones, would a lift from Cambridge to Braunston on Sunday morning be useful?

MP.

Thanks for the offer, but I need to get back to Oxford afterwards. I could take you to Braunston maybe... but I couldn't take you back!

Edited by Bones