1. 1. What do you do with yours?

• Hang your rope off the tiller pin
    • Coil the rope and store it on your hatch
    • Loop it continiously around the dollies
    • Coil your rope and hook it over your dolly
    • Store your ropes in a locker or inside the boat
    • Just drop your rope and leave it where it lands

Featured Posts

If I think about it my pristine white line is usually carefully draped over the roof and slide in carefully looped manner where it is the envy of the cut. More usually though my filthy dirty rope is casually lobbed on the slide in a tangled mess.

I see nine of us have been truthful at this point though.

If I think about it my pristine white line is usually carefully draped over the roof and slide in carefully looped manner where it is the envy of the cut. More usually though my filthy dirty rope is casually lobbed on the slide in a tangled mess.

I see nine of us have been truthful at this point though.

Except me and the tights.. goodnight

We hang ours from the rails using a nice set or rope tidies, but you dont have an option for that :lol:

This ensures that they are ready for deployment whenever necessary and they look tidy whilst underway, plus it keeps the walkways clear of obstructions.

DSC00078-1.jpg

(The only photo i can find with the rear ropes hung in shot!)

DSC00025.jpg

(And the front one)

Phylis I love your crimbo lights!

That wasnt the full attempt!!!

Ended up with another set strung from the washing line (lower guard rail/wire) and some hung from the rear grab rail. Looked alright, however we never got to make our christmas twilight run into Lincoln due to being iced in :lol:

There is always next year.

Going off the response in the other thread, I am interested to hear what people do with their stern rope whilst underway.

The option for what I do isn't listed there but is very close to 'drop it where it lands' on the deck. I actually loop it and place it on the deck against one of the supporting poles for the rail around the cruiser stern. It's not somewhere which is possible for me to trip over it and it would be very difficult (but not impossible I imagine) to accidentally kick it in from there.

We hang ours from the rails using a nice set or rope tidies, but you dont have an option for that :lol:

This ensures that they are ready for deployment whenever necessary and they look tidy whilst underway, plus it keeps the walkways clear of obstructions.

DSC00078-1.jpg

And do you lift your fenders when underway

On most non historic boats, I'll tend to coil it up neatly, and put it in the corner against the cant. I've only had the stern line go around the prop once, that was setting off in the dark on the Jam Ole, and after having to go astern after another boat was having problems and then going ahead in tickover slowly saw the rope being pulled into the water. There was quite of lot of rope around the prop, but thankfully not all of it!

I notice some "old" boaters also did a small neat coil and left it near the dolly. Not seen any of them put it on the tiller however!

Cheers,

Mike

I'm firmly in the drop it on the floor camp. Although I do make sure it's out of the way so I'm not going to trip.

The only rope tidying I do before setting off is ensuring the centre line is trailed back down the roof so I can easily reach it from the stern when mooring up.

"Rope" refers to the manufactured material. Once rope is purposely sized, cut, spliced, or simply assigned a function, the result is referred to as a "line," especially in nautical usage. :lol:

Except for the bell rope.... .... :lol:

Iain

Damn! I voted incorrectly. I meant to click a coil on the dolly but voted for coil it and store it on the hatch.

I have also been known to coil it up and just place it on the counter floor.

I have seen plenty of pics of working boats with ropes coiled and placed around the dolly so if it's good enough for them then it's OK for me.

I have seen plenty of pics of working boats with ropes coiled and placed around the dolly so if it's good enough for them then it's OK for me.

Yep thats exactly what I do on shorter runs when I'm only moving my boat somewhere or other along the moorings or when I go to wind.

As long as it's a relatively small, neat and tidy coil which is placed, and not thrown over the dolly so it's not able to drop off then I personally think thats fine.