1. 1. What do you do with yours?

• Hang your rope off the tiller pin
    • Coil the rope and store it on your hatch
    • Loop it continiously around the dollies
    • Coil your rope and hook it over your dolly
    • Store your ropes in a locker or inside the boat
    • Just drop your rope and leave it where it lands

Featured Posts

Yep thats exactly what I do on shorter runs when I'm only moving my boat somewhere or other along the moorings or when I go to wind.

As long as it's a relatively small, neat and tidy coil which is placed, and not thrown over the dolly so it's not able to drop off then I personally think thats fine.

I don't understand this at all. Why would a coil of rope be less likely to fall off a dolly than a long tiller pin?

Edited by billS

I've answered store it IN a locker, but strictly speaking it's ON a locker, as we have a bench-locker within the semi trad which I put the rope on.

When I forst got the boat I discussed rope options such as a rope tidy on the Tory Seats, but my brother suggested that a rope stored somewhere where it could fall in, would one day fall in, accepting that logic, it is removed completely.

If I really need a rope in a hurry, the centre rope is to hand, but I find the engine is better at controlling the boat so the only time I really need a rope in a hurry is if the engine fails, at 4mph I still won't need one that quick. If I'm getting off with a rope, I bring the boat to a dead stop first, even on the Severn (she'll stay stopped for minute or two before the current picks her up.

"Rope" refers to the manufactured material. Once rope is purposely sized, cut, spliced, or simply assigned a function, the result is referred to as a "line," especially in nautical usage. :lol:
Except for the bell rope.... .... :lol:
Skipping rope

Tow rope

Decking rope

Climbing rope

I'm sure there are more.

I was thinking of nautical usage, where "tow rope" becomes "tow(ing) line". I'm not sure what a decking rope is :lol: I'll gve you "manrope" for "climbing rope", though. :lol:

Iain

Depends where we ae going, but generally no.

In the process of having some fender baskets made for our sea going adventures this year though

You don't really need to though do you Phylis, your locks are a lot bigger than your boat

It's taking a 6-10 boat into a 7 foot lock with fenders on that's not wise

You don't really need to though do you Phylis, your locks are a lot bigger than your boat

It's taking a 6-10 boat into a 7 foot lock with fenders on that's not wise

No we dont need to. All of the locks are around 14ft wide so fit our 8'2" boat easily with all of the fenders down.

The one thing we do have to remember is to lift the rear two fenders on each side if planning on doing a bit of planing as they trail in the water and throw her of balance :lol:

I don't understand this at all. Why would a coil of rope be less likely to fall off a dolly than a long tiller pin?

Not entirely sure but I was just saying what I do rather than passing judgment on what others do.

I suppose it is more likely to come loose and drop because the tiller is being moved a lot of the time maneuvering the boat but the rope around the dolly will just sit there and not move until you pick it up again.

Not entirely sure but I was just saying what I do rather than passing judgment on what others do.

I suppose it is more likely to come loose and drop because the tiller is being moved a lot of the time maneuvering the boat but the rope around the dolly will just sit there and not move until you pick it up again.

Hmmmmm. Not really on topic, but I've regularly noticed the ability of any two cables (mobile phone charger and lap top charger for example) to become entangled even though you put them down tidily and haven't touched them since. I'm sure someone has come up with a law on this.

Ok I will show my ignorance. What are dollys? Surely not Rosie & Jim although stringing them up may be a good idea.

Sue

Think they're the little stumpy things that are welded to the stern.....

Edit to add

For 'little stumpy things'

insert

"inverted barrel shaped fixtures"

Sounds much more elegant....

Edited by MJG

I call the ones at the pointy end, T studs.

Now then there is a question....

Why do they have T studs at the pointy end and little stumpy things at the blunt end.

Why not the same at both ends...??? :lol:

Why do they have T studs at the pointy end and little stumpy things at the blunt end.

The t stud was used for towing and the bollards were usd for securing, somewhere in their use it was foung to make them so they could be released quickly.

The t stud was used for towing and the bollards were usd for securing, somewhere in their use it was foung to make them so they could be released quickly.

The bollards were also used for towing :lol:

Your cross straps, snatcher or snubber used to run from your rear dolly and then either to the T stud or the mast on the Butty.

Horse boats/butties had them (often 'studs' with the T dropped) at both ends, but the ones at the stern were generally the other way round.

Some motor boats had a stud and a dolly on the counter, some had a hook and a dolly.

Tim