1. 1. What do you do with yours?

• Hang your rope off the tiller pin
    • Coil the rope and store it on your hatch
    • Loop it continiously around the dollies
    • Coil your rope and hook it over your dolly
    • Store your ropes in a locker or inside the boat
    • Just drop your rope and leave it where it lands

Featured Posts

Going off the response in the other thread, I am interested to hear what people do with their stern rope whilst underway.

I don't know which way to vote. None of the options seem to fit my practice, which is only possible because of the design of my cruiser stern. The rope is coiled and laid on the top of the diesel tank, remaining attached to the dolly and ready for instant use. The two dollies and the tiller together ensure that it is extremely unlikely to fall off.

Here is a picture of Dave (Postcode) steering Keeping Up, from which the position of the rope can be clearly seen (included as a link instead of a picture to avoid cluttering up the thread to soon)

It is my centre line which lies coiled on the sliding hatch.

(Edited to correct the link)

Edited by Keeping Up

I don't know which way to vote. None of the options seem to fit my practice, which is only possible because of the design of my cruiser stern. The rope is coiled and laid on the top of the diesel tank, remaining attached to the dolly and ready for instant use. The two dollies and the tiller together ensure that it is extremely unlikely to fall off.

Here is a picture of Dave (Postcode) steering Keeping Up, from which the position of the rope can be clearly seen (included as a link instead of a picture to avoid cluttering up the thread to soon)

It is my centre line which lies coiled on the sliding hatch.

(Edited to correct the link)

We use a similar technique. Tawny Owl's deck is flat so we flake the rope and put it on the floor under the bench seat.

Of course, none of our photos shows the rope in that position...

Picture004.jpg

Richard

Liam we need an option -

If I had a boat and it had a tiller pin I would wrap it around the the tiller ensuring it was forward of said tiller pin and it can't fall back off the stern and foul the prop.

Option one is not really possible because the rope doesn't actually hang off the tiller pin it hangs off the tiller, the tiller pin just stops it sliding back or froward.

Unfortunately I can't recall any of the boats we've hired has a tiller pin therefore currently I coil it up and lay it on the deck where I can't trip or fall over it.

I'd need a mulitple choice for this one... short hops i leave it draped over the back rail, flaked on the deck behind me, long hops where I might encounter trees I take it off and stick it on the hatch. I can't wrap it round both dollys as it fouls the swan's neck.

I used to coil it over the dolly however on our windy day going through Napton last year, while trying to nudge a drifting boat into the bank with the fair maid Bagpuss having jumped across to tie it up again; a cunning bramble managed to hook the rope, pull a length free, uncoiling itself from around the dolly as it went, then drop it on the prop. I hadn't spotted the rope go, went hard astern and heard a whoosh, then the engine stopped. :lol: I disappeared into the weedhatch 'ole promptly and Bp briefly thought I'd fallen in as I just disappeared and all she could see was the boat drifting back toward the offside.

I'll splice a new loop into that rope one day. Snapped clean off!

I can see a rope getting unwound from even the most determined tiller with the right pull.

As the material itself doesn't change after you have cut it to your required length, whipped it or spliced it and have attached it to your boat, it's still rope!

Rope, line or strap. It's upto you.

Edited by Liam

"Rope" refers to the manufactured material. Once rope is purposely sized, cut, spliced, or simply assigned a function, the result is referred to as a "line," especially in nautical usage. :lol:

So I coil my mooring LINE :lol: around the dollies. :lol:

OK, to continue with the pedantry one of the other answers should be on the SLIDE :lol:

(which is where I would keep it on a Narrow Boat)

Tim

I voted for 'Coil the rope and store it on your hatch' however being a dutchbarge style nb emilyanne is a little diffrent.

- It is coiled, and stored, with end free. However its sorted just under the rear studs, with the boat end still attached to the stud.

- The front is simular, in that its coiled with end free, and placed on the front hatch slide or on the coalbox lid. Again, remaining attached.

Daniel

Looking at the results so far, I think that either people are lying, or, more likely, forum members are an unusually responsible and sensible bunch - the largest single response is 'remove it and put it on the hatch' yet I have observed nothing like this proportion (currently 48%) of people doing that in real life.

Edited by Chertsey

As the material itself doesn't change after you have cut it to your required length, whipped it or spliced it and have attached it to your boat, it's still rope!

Rope, line or strap. It's upto you.

What about sheets??