1. 1. What do you do with yours?

• Hang your rope off the tiller pin
    • Coil the rope and store it on your hatch
    • Loop it continiously around the dollies
    • Coil your rope and hook it over your dolly
    • Store your ropes in a locker or inside the boat
    • Just drop your rope and leave it where it lands

Featured Posts

Just received my welcome letter, general terms and conditions and "The Boater's Handbook" from BW.

Seems the 'correct' answer can be found on page 5 of the Handbook:

"Setting off. Start the engine, keep it in neutral and allow a few minutes for it to warm up before you move off. Untie the front and back mooring ropes from the bank, but leave them tied to the boat, coiled and ready for use. On rivers, untie the downstream rope first. Make sure your ropes can't trail in the water and get caught in the propeller."

I ticked looped continuously around the dollies in the survey, but well done to those who coil the rope instead - even if they then hang it off the tiller pin!

"Setting off. Start the engine, keep it in neutral and allow a few minutes for it to warm up before you move off."

If I did that every time I moved off I would leave behind some very unhappy people!

"Untie the front and back mooring ropes from the bank, but leave them tied to the boat, coiled and ready for use. On rivers, untie the downstream rope first. Make sure your ropes can't trail in the water and get caught in the propeller."

Well this would seem to be written by someone who has never set foot on a trad stern, before.

There is nowhere to store a coiled rope, safely, on a trad stern, Whilst it is still tied to the dolly.

Well this would seem to be written by someone who has never set foot on a trad stern, before.

There is nowhere to store a coiled rope, safely, on a trad stern, Whilst it is still tied to the dolly.

I dunno - a tiller pin seems perfect for that purpose provided it is sufficiently long, and smooth. I would avoid using a decorative one though, as the rope is likely to snag on the projections - beaks, wings, snouts or whatever - and jerk it out when you remove the coil.

This useful device keeps the rope coiled, safely off the deck whilst still connected to the boat - all as recommended in the boaters handbook. What can go wrong?

Edited by billS

What can go wrong?

Is your post tongue in cheek and the question rhetorical?

I recall assisting Clee down the Whilton flight, some years ago.

The owner, despite being a very experienced boater, had his rope coiled and dangling off the tiller pin, and it managed to get loose and wrap itself so tightly round the prop that he had to slip the boat, in order to cut it free, despite us both getting in the water with saws and knives.

Of course, if he had been unlucky enough to have been in contact with the rope, while it was winding itself around the prop, it could have been far worse than just the cost of a day on the slipway.

His pin was a traditional, plain smooth one, made from an old poker, by the way.

The owner, despite being a very experienced boater, had his rope coiled and dangling off the tiller pin, and it managed to get loose and wrap itself so tightly round the prop that he had to slip the boat, in order to cut it free, despite us both getting in the water with saws and knives.

Of course, if he had been unlucky enough to have been in contact with the rope, while it was winding itself around the prop, it could have been far worse than just the cost of a day on the slipway.

His pin was a traditional, plain smooth one, made from an old poker, by the way.

One possible way to get a very tight rope off the prop is to disconnect the shaft coupling from the gearbox/engine and try to slide the prop back a bit.

A while back a link was posted here to a short film (from the 50s) showing a pair of working boats going about their business. Two things were notable, first the unhurried but swift progress that was made, and secondly that the rope (line? sorry, different debate.. :lol: ) was put over the tiller pin.

I suppose that it depends to some extend how often you need your mooring lines. If you need them only once or twice a day, you can store them away, without it being a hindrance. If you need them very regularly, you want them close to hand, and easily deployable. When I get my boat sorted, I will certainly have a short 'boat to boat' line in place, to breast up when I do a pump-out. My shore lines will be stored suitably out of harms way.

*edited to correct an unforgiveble their/there mistake....*

Edited by luctor et emergo

I suppose that it depends to some extend how often you need your mooring lines. If you need them only once or twice a day, you can store them away, without it being a hindrance. If you need them very regularly, you want them close to hand, and easily deployable.

Mine were neatly coiled on the sliding hatch, close to hand, easily deployable and well away from the prop.

And i thought I was going to be original by using an old poker handle retrieved from an old companion set... :lol:

. If you need them very regularly, you want them close to hand, and easily deployable.

I fail to see what is so inefficient about picking the rope up from the hatch, dropping the eye over the dolly on the side you want to deploy it and paying out the rest from the coil or throwing it.

It takes no time at all to drop a line on a dolly. Funnily enough it's why they are designed like that.

I would find that much faster than removing the rope from the tiller, a device that is designed for steering, not stowing rope.