Anyone got any snow yet?

Scooby

Featured Posts

This one is still my favourite - from the days when we could get through the white stuff and never had the 'Wrong Kind' - perhaps a romantic exaggeration on my part but then nostalgia is like that . . .

Those were the days, it was a challenge not an inconvenience.

And men were men and women were glad of it. :lol:

I've been to Bedford today with the lorry, delivering to a bodyshop one of the many cars that spun off the A1 this morning. The worst snow I've seen all day was all within 10 miles of home, (6 - 7 inches fell between 8.00 and 11.00am) yet just 10 miles east of here there was no snow at all in the Leadenham/Newark area and the A1 till the northern outskirts of Grantham. Had to do a 25 mile detour around known blocked roads in Mid Lincs. 10 miles south of Grantham it was white-out through Rutland and Stamford area.

You drag this one out every winter Graham..... wonderful footage though and not a high-vis in sight.

And why not? For me 1963 was the last serious snow of the steam age - if only it were a holiday destination, I would queue up to go there every year!

And in 1963 it didn't matter to me that my wages were less than £3 a week and that I couldn't even dream of travelling First Class or enjoying those five course restaurant car dinners, just standing on the platform at Rugby, Reading, Grantham or Woking with a 'Thermos' full of hot 'Bovril' and steam hauled trains passing every few minutes was all that I ever wanted . . .

In 2009, this nostalgia is so easily conjured up as I charge the Morso Squirrel with a shovelful of bituminous coal whilst the kettle boils on top ready for my cup of steaming 'Bovril' before retiring for the night - that's us, warm as toast, on 'Alnwick' :lol:

Are we the only one's frozen in thismorning ?

Still have the 4-6 inches of snow from yesterday but woke this morning to a frozen canal too !

(Sharps Lane nr Berkhamsted, SGU)

Les

A lot depends on whether you are in a 'live' pound (as opposed to a dead one! :lol: )

I'm just down the road at Apsley but this pound's not frozen because of the current.

I haven't been out for a walk yet so other pounds here may be frozen over.

Edited by blackrose

This one is still my favourite - from the days when we could get through the white stuff and never had the 'Wrong Kind' - perhaps a romantic exaggeration on my part but then nostalgia is like that . . .

2mins 6secs in, yeeee haaaaaaa.

Bet the snow clearer driver enjoyed his job that day, bit scary at times though.

Are we the only one's frozen in thismorning ?

Still have the 4-6 inches of snow from yesterday but woke this morning to a frozen canal too !

well a very thin skin

This pound never used to freeze due to the amount of warm water coming from the sewage farm.

Last year they fixed the weir opposite the farm (after 10 years of asking) so that the water now goes over there rather than over the gates of lock 59 so ice will become more frequent.

I have only ever seen ice once on this pound before and that was when the temp didnt go above freezing for a month and all other pounds had 8" of ice on them this one managed about 1"!

Still reading -6 here brrrr. No snow, I want snow :lol: Throws toys out of pram.....

I reckon all of those pictures posted have been Photoshopped :lol:

North, South, East and Wales all claim to have snow but it never snows here.

But now I've got to be going out driving shortly, I look out of the window and everything has been dusted, we must have at least 4 or 5 mm of the stuff in places, just enough to make the side roads and country lanes treacherous! :lol:

I reckon all of those pictures posted have been Photoshopped :lol:

North, South, East and Wales all claim to have snow but it never snows here.

But now I've got to be going out driving shortly, I look out of the window and everything has been dusted, we must have at least 4 or 5 mm of the stuff in places, just enough to make the side roads and country lanes treacherous! :lol:

A dusting?

You should try the Peak Forest Canal this week.

About 9 inches of snow yesterday.

And what did the BBC report on? "Londoners stranded in France because Eurostar not running", with a single paragraph at the bottom of the article saying "oh yes, it snowed quite a lot in the north".

PAH!

A dusting?

And what did the BBC report on? "Londoners stranded in France because Eurostar not running", with a single paragraph at the bottom of the article saying "oh yes, it snowed quite a lot in the north".

PAH!

Yes I agree Dave. Although we are both "Southerners", we lived in Buxton for four years where everyone knows that it is going to snow for much of the winter. We often got ten or fifteen inches overnight. Did it stop anyone getting to work? No of course it didn't, people just got on with it. Of course the Local Councils did their bit keeping the roads clear. Down here, it comes as a surprise to everyone even after snow has been forecast for days.

It always irritates us news when the BBC beat on about 1 inch snow in London causing chaos, and at the end of the news just mention the Snake Pass is blocked, and the road from Buxton to Macclesfield is passable with care. Do people down south know what that actully means?!!!

Got a sprinkling of snow on the roads this morning, and they are frozen solid, no sign of any grit yet!!

Edited by David Schweizer

Just off down to the boat this morning. That is, if I can get across the hill to Jedburgh, and if the bus to Newcastle is running, and the road is open at Carter Bar, the English Border, and if I manage to get to Newcastle in time to get the train.

As for getting back............

Mac

A dusting?

I think you misunderstand me.

I'm quite happy driving on snow, on the very rare occasion when we get any, but a dusting is just an effin nuisance.

Yes I agree Dave. Although we are both "Southerners", we lived in Buxton for four years where everyone knows that it is going to snow for much of the winter. We often got ten or fifteen inches overnight. Did it stop anyone getting to work? No of course it didn't, people just got on with it.

Yup.

15 years I've been commuting from Manchester to Chesterfield, and only missed once due to wintry conditions.