Anyone got any snow yet?

Scooby

Featured Posts

The Met Office can't tell you what the weather will be doing in a weeks time let alone March. They feed current data into their computers and come out with an 'idea' of what is most likely to occur, it's vague and prone to great inaccuracies like their forecast that 2009 was going to be a hot one - the barbecue Summer. Didn't happen. This Winter would be mild - don't bank on it.

For those on river moorings prepare for floods and storms around the 28th - 30th December. Much of this will be down to snow melt, but more Arctic weather forecast for January - Feb. and more running out of grit (what grit?) No, I'm not the forecaster- Piers Corbyn is, but you'll need to subscribe for the details.

Derek

Well here in cold and wet essex all the snow that we got last thursday night has more or less gone just ice left on the paths and there no sign of anymore :lol:

We had heavy rain as it got dark last night, we thought it was melting the ice/snow.

This morning at 6am when i took Chris to work its turned into sheet ice glazing everywhere smooth :lol:

Even on the main roads areas of kerbside & around areas of junctions/roundabouts it was shiny.

Have to go pick her up when she finishes at 1pm & not sure if i should try the back route but via Bedford will be very busy.

Luckily for us we dont have to go out tomorrow as Sister & family & Mum are coming over for dinner.

All those that have to travel far for tomorrow please take care & have a safe journey.

1st time ive ever managed 2 paste a picture :lol: thank goodness 4 the kids or I wouldnt av a clue!!

Glad you (they!) managed, two really nice pictures

Edited by MJG

I'm sure it's meant in jest, but it does get a bit tedious when you are married to a teacher.

Yes it was a joke :lol:

But to add - It's tedious for us too when suddenly our staff have to take time off work to look after kids who were supposed to be at school.

And how do schools cope in Scandinavian countries I wonder. :lol:

Edited by MJG

And how do schools cope in Scandinavian countries I wonder. :lol:

No idea, but I'm guessing if you mean Scandinavian counties regularly covered in snow, that they are dealing with the problem as a regular occurrence, rather than trying to make the right call each time the weathermen put out a weather warning that is not precise enough to work out the likely impact on your school.

It wouldn't surprise me if they have to throw heaps more resource, and therefore heaps more money at the problem, because it's a regular thing not something where an entire year might pass with no weather bad enough for closures.

You are right of course that one group of workers not being able to provide a service can have a knock on effect on others, and school closures clearly make life difficult in families with working parents, and to the employers of those parents. Fortunately these days many people are able to not go into work, and still largely do their day job - in the job I did we were supporting computers worldwide from an English office, so had no need to be where the kit was - it was therefore easy to switch to doing largely the same job without leaving the home, and hence helping to reduce the traffic chaos when roads and railways were suffering snow and ice problems.

Unfortunately, of course, in any job where workers have to be the same place as those they are caraing or responsible for, such flexibility is not possible.

But yes, of course I have seen head teachers close schools on multiple occasions where it turned out to be the wrong decision. They do have to make that call remarkably early in the morning, long before buses set off, or anybody starts to travel. Weather forecasters get it wrong regularly - head teachers are not weather forecasters, so are likely to do even worse on making the right call, unfortunately. Because of the extreme difficulties that arise if you get hundreds of kids into school, and it then becomes apparent that getting them home will be a major problem, unfortunately heads have little choice but to err more towards the side of caution.

No idea, but I'm guessing if you mean Scandinavian counties regularly covered in snow,

No I did of course mean the tropical ones..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

snow2009020.jpg

The River Erne, taken this morning in Belturbet Co. Cavan. Minus 11 degrees last night!

Another really nice picture

Edited by MJG

Henley this morning:

Tim

2 more nice ones - love the 'self service' sign on the lock gates -

in other words

You're on your own bud!

Nicely show as well how dodgy and slippy it can be around the locks -

2 more nice ones - love the 'self service' sign on the lock gates -

in other words

You're on your own bud!

Nicely show as well how dodgy and slippy it can be around the locks -

The other gate had a Strong Stream Warning on it, not much sign of boater activity ie. no footprints on the lock side. You are right in that the towpath was treacherous.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis