Well the news has just got worse

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

Easy for me to say, but take heart. The advancements in modern medicine and indeed the treatments available for cancer in even the last 10 years have been astonishing. Medicine has a lot to offer, and so does life. I have no doubt you will live life to the full, but take heart that the advancements in cancer research are progressing in leaps and bounds; may you reap the benefits, live life to the full and have the support and care you need through this time.

As for boating, judging by the response on the forum it sounds as though you wont have to hang your tiller pin up just yet - just don't forget to ask!

David

No sympathy as requested.

Our thoughts and wishes are there if you want them. :lol:

I do not have a god but if you do, may he go with you.

Oh! by the way if he forgets to turn up, you have medical science that is the best in the world and it's free. :lol:

My thoughts are with you at this very difficult time. I wish you well with your treatment, and hope that you will report back with the "all clear" one day.

Take care, and keep us posted.

Dear David,

A good friend of ours has had a large tumor found in her bladder which is being operated on on Wednesday, they're fairly certan that it's cancerous too. You're not alone, and as others have said postive thinkng does play a vital role in the outcomes of these things. With that in mind, we hope that you and your medical team make the right decisions, and we look forward to reading about your recovery.

best wishes,

Kate and James

Hi David

We are sorry to hear your bad news but remember many people have recovered from worse illness's than this.

Keep a positive attitude and go for all the treatment you can get, you might be back boating this time next year.

Alex & Hilary

Hi David, I think you are doing the best thing in talking about the illness.

My father in law died of lung cancer in October and we are still very sad about it. Talk to your family and friends as much as you can. Remember all the good times and be possitive.

There are lots of people in remission and I'm sure an old boater like you can beat this.

Good luck

Martin & Carole

Hi David,

We're very new to the forum and don't even know you but your post moved us both in that to do such a positive thing and have the courage to be as open as you have been then you must without doubt posess the strength and strong spirit to beat this thing hands down and see it off for once and for all.

It looks as though it could be a while before we get on the water and we are looking forward to seeing you there too when we do!

Our very best wishes and the very best of luck David.

Steve & Mel.

Well David, nothing that anyone can say will take away the shock of the news being confirmed as human nature is always to hope that it won't be true. There is a common thread in most of these messages and that is to remain positive that you can beat it. Give it hell and good luck in your fight.

Roger

David

You and I met at the Braunston Working boat show earlier this year. we spoke at some length before realising our common interest in the forums. Your posts like your conversation sets my mind working and our conversation will always stay in my mind, for this reason alone I look forward to meeting up again next year. I am only in Braunston and you can contact me through CWF or Justcanals if there is any thing that can be done to help. our thoughts are with you and your family.

Keep going David - we are all with you, reading your thread made me realise what a united crew we all are, even the grumpy ones, and all of us send you a hug - well maybe not the big hairy buggers! just the cute ones! We will all travel your path and be there even if there is a virtual element to it.

Julie

It may not seem much, but you spotting me on Tawny Owl this year was one of my highlights.

Did David play out the whole "Who is this idiot coming hurtling towards me on the wrong side of the cut ?" routine with you as well, or is that something he reserves just for us ? :lol:

David,

My wife has just gone through chemo, if I may - a couple of pieces of advice from the 'other half'.

Please share, being brave makes it harder for the other half. Sometimes a simple heads together for a few moments makes a huge difference. Being brave and bearing with it doesn't help the other half cope.

Don't forget family and friends. They are concerned and need to be re-assured as to how things afre going. Too many folk shut themselves away and think that is the best way - maybe it is for you but for us one of the hardest things was talking to other folk as to how things were progressing. It is not the morbid details but the 'how things are on a day to day basis' is what they are interested in.

T'internet can be a wonderful way of doing this, once - for all. Consider an update open letter on a regular basis, keeps everyone informed and saves having to go over old ground too much.

Finally, when the chemo kicks in, shave your head. One of the biggest sceams came when there was hair on the pillow one morning. Straight down the hairdressers and down to the wood in a New York Second.

Laughter is the best medicine.

Dave

Did David play out the whole "Who is this idiot coming hurtling towards me on the wrong side of the cut ?" routine with you as well, or is that something he reserves just for us ? :lol:

He didn't get the chance. It was so windy that Tawny Owl was proceeding on both sides of the cut at the time.

Richard