Alarm or crew communication

NB Alnwick

Featured Posts

Recently while cruising on the River Thames, Jane was at the helm and I was inside with my head in the CWDFs. I have to say that I was completely oblivious to events outside and did not hear her when she shouted for help. In the event, it wasn't a great emergency but it might have been and it has got me thinking that I need to install some form of alarm or communication so that the person at the helm can raise the alarm with those inside. Our boat is very well insulated and I didn't even hear the horn when she tried to alert me with that - eventually I did pop my head out when she suddenly dropped the engine from cruising speed to tickover - but what do others do?

Recently while cruising on the River Thames, Jane was at the helm and I was inside with my head in the CWDFs. I have to say that I was completely oblivious to events outside and did not hear her when she shouted for help. In the event, it wasn't a great emergency but it might have been and it has got me thinking that I need to install some form of alarm or communication so that the person at the helm can raise the alarm with those inside. Our boat is very well insulated and I didn't even hear the horn when she tried to alert me with that - eventually I did pop my head out when she suddenly dropped the engine from cruising speed to tickover - but what do others do?

When towing the butty we used mobile phones to communicate (Swmbo seems to lack the gene for operating a PTT radio).

Same for when just on the motor though the biggest emergency was only ever an empty tea mug.

Now, when picking up a swinging mooring I just shout instructions (and curses) through a PMR radio which, I suspect, is deliberately switched off, in the wheelhouse.

I have a LNWR dog-kennel block bell that I am toying with setting up in the boat with a button at the stern.

Just need an appropriate set of bell codes and off we go!

Richard

I normally shout VERY LOUD or use the horn in a very irritating way, but I guess the easiest technical solution would be a house wireless doorbell.

We have one at home that allows you to carry a portable battery powered chime into the garden, so you can hear the bell from the other end of the house.

Cant you do PTT with mobiles these days? Never done it, but you see the logo all the time?

But no, we have a steam whisltle that works very nicely for alerting the crew. Slightly annoying at times, if you have have your trousers at half mast and the helm sounds off for a passing gongosaler with a camera. But generally it seams to work. One day i'll fit a second whistle i think!

Suddent change of engine speed (or direction) also tends to get crew to surface when there is an inexpericend helm on board.

If you are fitting a buzzer, make sure its easy to get at, becuase when the muck is hitting the fan that last thing you want to be doing is finding a button somwhere in the cabin!

Daniel

eventually I did pop my head out when she suddenly dropped the engine from cruising speed to tickover - but what do others do?

Strangely enough it is your method, the change in engine speed that always gets me out of the cabin to have a shufty as this often indicates something happening, lock, emergency of whatever.

The best solution is to get the crew to pay attention to what's actually going on when boating, instead of being more interested in virtual boating on the internet! :lol:

Since I'm generally moving the boat on my own I don't have the problem of alerting crew, but I'm sure blasting one of those handheld air horns inside the stern door would arouse even the dopiest crew member.

Doorbell is an excellent idea. Short burst for cup of tea/pee/come and look at this; long for emergency. OH generally uses the horn to summon me, though I am now very attuned to engine speed/screaming reverse. So much so that I now tend to ignore it. After all, he can do it single handed.....

Doorbell is an excellent idea. Short burst for cup of tea/pee/come and look at this; long for emergency. OH generally uses the horn to summon me, though I am now very attuned to engine speed/screaming reverse. So much so that I now tend to ignore it. After all, he can do it single handed.....

Yes, something out of the Wallace and Gromit stories

Recently while cruising on the River Thames, Jane was at the helm and I was inside with my head in the CWDFs. I have to say that I was completely oblivious to events outside and did not hear her when she shouted for help.

...but what do others do?

We use cheap Binatone radios, which we carry with us in our belts (thanks TeeEll) from the time we cast off, until we have tried to set up the satellite after mooring. That way we're both on call whether on the boat or off.

Didn't think we'd use them, but they have proved invaluable.

spent lots of time in the last 6 months cruising with my daughter (10). When she has decided that she has done enough locking/ steering / or wants to go inside or up front to read, the easiest method of attention seeking at first was dinging the nearest mushroom vent with a windlass as I only discovered the horn was a solid piece of rust the first time I tried to use it (what do we pay surveyors for thread search). I have since fitted a pathetic horn which if tooted several times gets attention, however , sounds like a farting puffin.

"OOOOOIIII" at max vocal volume, not only alerts crew members, but generally gets stampeding sheep in adjoining fields moving pretty quickly too.

We have a brass bell, painted by the late Ray Dunford hanging just inside the rear doors, a swift pull to one side on the bit of string hanging on the hammer thing (it has a proper name but I cant remember it) and up she or I pop to do a lock, make tea etc. Shake it to and fro like a terrier on a trouser turn up and its a bit more urgent.

the bit of string hanging on the hammer thing (it has a proper name but I cant remember it)...............Clapper? Anchor?

We've just got a simple 12v buzzer in the cabin & bell push beside the engine panel, boringly simple, no special codes, just press it, works well for us.

Steve

Edited by sharpness

the bit of string hanging on the hammer thing (it has a proper name but I cant remember it)...............Clapper? Anchor?

We've just got a simple 12v buzzer in the cabin & bell push beside the engine panel, boringly simple, no special codes, just press it, works well for us.

Steve

Clapper for sure! I was thinking of installing a buzzer but guess what? I just can't find anything in 24v unless I settle for something like this:

Clicky - 6" (152mm) Fire Alarm Bell 24V DC

Mind you, I think it would work and it would certainly be heard above the sound of the engine :lol: