Boat Names

mayalld

Featured Posts

I could not believe my eyes when I saw a boat called WET DREAMS, it was some time ago now and I can't remember where it was, the couple onboard were of over retirement age and I just wondered if they knew of the alternative meaning of the name ??????????

There's a boat on the system called "The Roped Toy". The chap I saw at the tiller didn't look as if he'd be into BDSM, but I suppose appearances can be deceptive.

MP.

We all of us name our boats for a reason (even if that reason is "it was called that when we bought it, and we don't want to repaint it"), but some of the names out there are plain silly, and some are what the owner thought was a really clever idea that he had (oh, what do you mean somebody else had the same idea before).

So, what boat names out there make you cringe?

I'll start us off with;

R SWIPE - no, it isn't clever, just gratuitously offensive and crude.

On a similar vein, but quite clever, I thought, was the name of a narrowboat which used to moor in the East End of London. It was called "The Dogs". Underneath the name was written its home mooring, which was "Bow Locks"

If Wotever's Wotever is the Wotever I shared a basin with at Bugsworth earlier this month it is a very nice boat and they were very nice people :lol:.

That would probably have been Wot Ever Next which was their follow-on boat to Wot Ever when they sold Wot Ever to us.

Ohh.... wotever... :lol:

We've replaced that silly horn now and built a new cratch since this pic was taken:

gallery_8291_475_91598.jpg

It raises smiles wherever we go, usually accompanied by a comment like "Sounds just like my daughter"

Our next boat is destined to be named Wot Ever Now

T :lol:

Edited to add piccy

Edited by WotEver

If you are dyslexic, you should at least get a friend to check your spelling before painting the name on the boat!

I quite agree about spelling mistakes. However, there is a long tradition of misspelt names on boats e.g. Cedar and Cyprus.

Honestly, Mr D, you're so negative sometimes. Why don't you ever start a thread about something nice and uplifting you've witnessed?

Hello trees, hello sky, tra-la-la-la. I saw a VERY shiny car yesterday and it made me smile.

No need, I'll contribute to the thread that you started.

Oh, you don't seem to have done so.

Ah Mr Mayall, you have lived next to Jy Praat Twak for three years now, at last the truth is out :-) I knew it bothered you :lol:

:-)

I was thinking about you when I wrote it!

The subtle difference between "R SWIPE", which is just offensive, and "Jy Praat Twak", which is rather more clever, cos nobody knows what it means until they ask!

There was one moored near Ellesmere for a few years, called Sloe and Easy. That's fine (and clever), but directly underneath were the owner's names (Dave and Sue, or something like that), which led almost everyone to speculate on which owner was slow and which owner was easy :lol:

I noticed that the boat has been re-painted to remove this pleasing effect now.

No comments about the name of my own fine craft - please! You'll only reveal your ignorance of the cultural glories of English literature at its finest :lol:

Edited by Ewart Hodgson

We all of us name our boats for a reason (even if that reason is "it was called that when we bought it, and we don't want to repaint it"), but some of the names out there are plain silly, and some are what the owner thought was a really clever idea that he had (oh, what do you mean somebody else had the same idea before).

So, what boat names out there make you cringe?

I'll start us off with;

R SWIPE - no, it isn't clever, just gratuitously offensive and crude.

This one on the Staffs & Worcs makes me cringe:

'Our Dream Come True for Norm and Sue'

This one on the Llangollen puzzles me:

'Mesothelioma'

This one, spotted on the Bridgewater years ago, made me smile:

'Morning Flatulence'

This one is so common I can't believe anyone chooses it:

'Dreamcatcher'

I asked about the boat called 'Mesothelioma' on this forum once, and was informed that the owner had suffered from and survived mesothelioma, and the nb was bought with his compensation money (presumably from a claim against an emplyer making him work with asbestos)

Also on the Llangollen -

'Pog mo thon' (seems inoffensive unless you know gaelic: ' kiss my a***')

Ones I quite like (not silly but clever, so really off thread);

'Sink estate' (on a plywood houseboat for which the name looked very appropriate)

'Fire escape' (owned by a fireman)

'Lost faculties' (a retired university Dean)

Edited by Ewart Hodgson

I have been rather irritated in that last couple of days to see two boats called 'Me and Er'. Not only is it silly, but (puts on humourless feminist hat (do humourless feminists wear hats?)), but it seems rather egocentric on the part of the me, and rudely dismissive of 'er.

Quoting: ?>>> "Jy Praat Twak", which is rather more clever, cos nobody knows what it means until they ask!

Well... they do if they know any Afrikaans (or have been in an argument in which an Afrikaaner strongly disagrees with them!).

Edited by Ewart Hodgson

I have been rather irritated in that last couple of days to see two boats called 'Me and Er'. Not only is it silly, but (puts on humourless feminist hat (do humourless feminists wear hats?)), but it seems rather egocentric on the part of the me, and rudely dismissive of 'er.

Oooh, you'd HATE. "May un mar Lady", complete with cartoon of be-rollered harridan with rolling pin, and chap with string vest and knotted hanky on head.

Oooh, you'd HATE. "May un mar Lady", complete with cartoon of be-rollered harridan with rolling pin, and chap with string vest and knotted hanky on head.

I'd have thought a more appropriate picture for "May un mar Lady" would have been of someone under house arrest. Not sure how one depicts that, though.

Edited by Nine of Hearts

I suppose they could have gone for 'im and 'er or, 'er and 'im

or is there just no right way? :lol:

I'd have thought a more appropriate picture for "May un mar Lady" would have been of someone under house arrest. Not sure how one depicts that, though.

You're just too clever Mr Hearts

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Good point, would "Me and 'im" be any better? and that would of course loose the "Meander" connection.

I wanted to call mine "Bote", but she wouldn't let me.

it may be sexist but erandme isn't a word whereas meander is and some people think its quite clever as it is a word which could be used to define what one does when boating in a nonchalant and relaxed type of way. it does seem to be quite a common boat name.