Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

A new liveaboard has move on to the mooring next to me. The S** has removed the soild fuel stove that was fitted and now runs his forced diesel heating 24/7 :lol: . When the damm thing kicks it, its like standing behind a B52 on take off. :lol:

Iam not even able take the boat off the mooring and go and moor down the river to sleep, as the engine is undergoing a top overhaul.

Should forced diesel heating be banned from use like engines on moorings between 10pm and 7am?

Firesprite

Middle Levels

I've got a silencer in my exhaust it's not at all loud or intrusive. Without the silencer they can be horribly loud.

But, if he's using forced diesel heating 24/7 then don't worry about it. It won't be working for much longer :lol:

Gibbo

I was on the Broads and moored up next to the sugar beet factory, at Cantley, when a boat moored up behind me and his heater drowned out the factory noise.

Would that be one of those "three in a bed romp shocker" things that the Sunday red tops so delight in telling us about?

A new liveaboard has move on to the mooring next to me. The S** has removed the soild fuel stove that was fitted and now runs his forced diesel heating 24/7 :lol: . When the damm thing kicks it, its like standing behind a B52 on take off. :lol:

Iam not even able take the boat off the mooring and go and moor down the river to sleep, as the engine is undergoing a top overhaul.

Should forced diesel heating be banned from use like engines on moorings between 10pm and 7am?

Firesprite

Middle Levels

No, talk to him nicely and ask him to fit a silencer. Or perhaps just get him to moor the other way around?

As has been noted a silencer is essential, if they are running it at night surely it will be loud for them and therefore will be a problem for them, I would go and speak to them, any reasonable person would accept they are creating a problem for you and should help resolve it

As has been noted a silencer is essential, if they are running it at night surely it will be loud for them and therefore will be a problem for them, I would go and speak to them, any reasonable person would accept they are creating a problem for you and should help resolve it

People don't realise how intrusive the noise of these heaters are. Even with a good silencer they have the power to wake me up when they fire up in the morning. I am not a light sleeper. A friend proud of his new boat and silenced eperspacher didn't believe me until I told him what time it had switched on. He was moored the opposite side of the canal and not directly opposite me.

Sue

Isn't this thread a little like people who move to the countryside and complain about how noisy the birds are, or about farm machinery being noisy.

There are a number of things likely to cause noise on a canal, most of them are just part of life on the canal. After all the noise nuisance living in a house in just about any town in Britain is far worse than anything one would get on a boat.

Having said that, I wish someone would invent a device to stop the bl**dy ducks pecking at the side of my boat in the middle of the night!

Isn't this thread a little like people who move to the countryside and complain about how noisy the birds are, or about farm machinery being noisy.

There are a number of things likely to cause noise on a canal, most of them are just part of life on the canal. After all the noise nuisance living in a house in just about any town in Britain is far worse than anything one would get on a boat.

Having said that, I wish someone would invent a device to stop the bl**dy ducks pecking at the side of my boat in the middle of the night!

Simple

Instead of using blacking use antifoul paint next time you dry dock, not much dearer but different so wont be widely adopted no weed for the ducks to peck at

Back to the topic, the mooring we pay for is on pontoons that float on plastic boxes. A Number have great big holes in the side due to hot exhaust fumes, and I'll agree with noisy however when we're home we can't heat it coz the engine's running :lol:

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Our last boat had an Eberspacher with no silencer, our friend had one installed on his boat with a silencer. We were both on the Llangollen for the Millennium, moored one behind the other, we both had the heaters running and you could hear ours above the noise from his when we stood by the bow of his boat, ours was behind.

So they don't have to be loud, but most are.

Some of them are bloody loud.

A boat about 4 pontoons up from us used to keep managing to leave their Eber running, and I honestly couldn't believe the noise, (which would easily have drowned out their engine running).

Given that they can be just as obtrusive as running engines whilst moored, I don't actually think it would be unreasonable to place similar time restrictions on when they could be fired up.

However if there is a "silenced" type, maybe that's all that's required. I've probably not been disturbed by one of those, (for obvious reasons...)

The quietening additive previously mentioned is a bag or 2 of sugar in the fuel tank.

Invisible, undetectable and deadly :lol: .

I have used this a number of times to "quieten" a generator which was too close. (When camping at festivals I should add - not on the cut).

my neighbour has one and I find it good company and sends me off to sleep but then my mother tells me that I slept through the noise of aircraft operations when we lived at RAF Manby.I think most of these things are down to how you feel about noise,if its something operating normally I can just ignore it. What wakes me is people yelling and shouting at night.