Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

If they are louder than a suitcase generator (which most are, silenced or not) then I don't see why gennies' running times are controlled but other noisemaking things aren't.

Probably due to humans needing to keep warm. The idea of dictating when people can and cant have heat is a total joke.

Edit: I too also find the whirring an aid in getting to sleep. My eberspacher tells me a bed time story every night these days :lol:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

Probably due to humans needing to keep warm. The idea of dictating when people can and cant have heat is a total joke.

But that argument wouldn't get me very far if I said I needed to run my engine to generate heat. There are noiseless ways of keeping warm.

I'm not particularly bothered by engine noise and that kind of thing, but clearly if there's a rule for one noisy diesel burning appliance, then it should apply to all noisy diesel burning appliances.

When I bought my boat with the new Eberspacher heating system in, I was staggered at the ammount of noise it produced, inside and outside the boat. It was embarrassing outside and inside was made even more irritating by the torture of the incessant knocking of its fuel pump. None of these things are mentioned before you buy them.

As Gibbo stated earlier, if he runs it 24/7, it will soon be dead, as it will not run for more than 3-4 weeks without cokeing up! Thats assuming he can afford the fuel to keep it running that long, about £65 pw at 24/7 running.

Roger

The rules are about generating power after 8 not heat. I'm sure there are noisless ways of keeping warm, but not with the girls I know :lol:

The rules are actually about generating noise, after 8pm, not power or heat.

If I was to run a quiet engine, to warm the radiators, I'd be breaking the rules.

If I was to run a noisy eberspacher, to warm the radiators, I wouldn't.

Edited by carlt

The rules are actually about generating noise, after 8pm, not power or heat.

If I was to run a quiet engine, to warm the radiators, I'd be breaking the rules.

If I was to run a noisy eberspacher, to warm the radiators, I wouldn't.

kinda contradictory :lol:

heres a cut n paste....

"section 4.Whilst your boat is on any BW waterway, you must not:

item b.use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the waterway between 8pm and 8am"

We already have. lots of people have complained about smoke from boat stoves.

lets ban boating all together no matter what one does, someone will complain <heating, mooring, fire smoke > its all part of boating

if you dont like it go live on the bank and put up with cars trucks buses yobs etc you will soon come back.

BOB

kinda contradictory :lol:

heres a cut n paste....

"section 4.Whilst your boat is on any BW waterway, you must not:

item b.use any electricity generator, including the Boat's engine, at any mooring along the waterway between 8pm and 8am"

Err....that was my point.

The rules are contradictory.

They set out to ban night time noise but have ended up only banning one form of noise generation.

There are no specific rules about playing loud music all night. Does that mean it's OK? Seems that some people are all in favour of showing consideration to others until it's their own noisy activities that are threatened, then it's fall back on the rule book.

There are no specific rules about playing loud music all night. Does that mean it's OK? Seems that some people are all in favour of showing consideration to others until it's their own noisy activities that are threatened, then it's fall back on the rule book.

When i hear a noisy heater I think, "at least my fellow canal brethren arent freezing in this nasty cold weather were having."

Not "they must be doing it on purpose just to annoy me"

"...fall back on the rule book." hmmmm - i thought i already threw that out the window, damn thing always behind me tripping me up. :lol:

I have these things going either side of me in the marina - albeit with silencers - still sounds like two incredibley loud vacuum cleaners - I just throw a few car tyres on my solid fuel stove when they have their windows open!

A

Old trainers fit a stove well

Sue

Im unable to vote as so far Ive not come across this problem, There are a couple of ebers or webasto's at the moorings but when ever ive walked past in the early hours on my way to work all i can hear is a ticking noise?

Herbie moored alongside also has an eber i think and have never heard it all and she is directly alongside.

So I need a vote option of 'not yet been affected by them'

I'm not going to vote as I haven't experienced hearing one at the dead of night,

I wonder how many of those offering an opinion have ever tried to spend a night moored next to one?

I can't agree with it being 'All part of boating'

Edited by Scotty

What a great great topic, yes lets have lots and lots more rules and regulations, after all that's what attracted me to the cut in the first place.

I must try to spend more time thinking of things to moan about.....got it, these heaters should also be banned from use during the Queen's speech at Christmas....in marinas at any time......oh yes...and when it's cold....yep that covers it......oh by the way, can i come and keep warm in your big long impressive boat with lots of smokey black chimerneys on the top, beggin' your pardon guv'nor ?

What a load of bollards!

Why should I know about NABO policy. Maybe you know more than I do.

Sue

Sorry Sue. Up until now I have had the impression that you are strongly connected with NABO (and nothing wrong in that either). Anyway, it was just a joke about trainers, nothing more, so please don't take umbrage.

Upwards of 95% of the boats in our marina are fibreglass. For obvious reasons solid fuel heating isnt an option so the boats that have heating have diesel heaters. Yes they are noisy but what else should they do sit and shiver. We turn ours off when we go to bed as do most of our neighbours. I dont think a ban on them is the answer though.