Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

I wonder how much damage your wash does to the banks at that speed - there doesn't need to be anyone there for you to inconvenience an awful lot of river and bank users

The wash was contained in the concrete walls. There were no river or bank users around at the time.

May have washed a few fish around.

Edited by Phylis

I can see that might be a valid argument in newly constructed banks but older banks begin to crack and degrade - then it doesn't take much to begin to erode the concrete

One of the the reason there is a speed limit is to prevent damage to the banks, concrete or not, from powerful washes

Anyway this is off topic - the thread is about heaters so if I want to argue this with you I can go back to the relevent thread

Anyway this is off topic -

Good point!

It also gives me a chance to agree with Phyllis that she should be allowed to run her heating system, at whatever time, if her boat is cold.

If her only heating system was an electric heater, powered by a generator, then I believe the same should apply, observing common-sense and consideration to other waterways users, of course

Good point!

It also gives me a chance to agree with Phyllis that she should be allowed to run her heating system, at whatever time, if her boat is cold.

If her only heating system was an electric heater, powered by a generator, then I believe the same should apply, observing common-sense and consideration to other waterways users, of course

It also gives me the chance to say we dont run our deisel heater late into the night because we go to bed early. 10pm is the latest we have stayed up on the boat. We prefer to go to bed early and get up early make the most of the day.

Inconsiderate to whom? There is no one there.

Inconsiderate to a whole host of people!

You claim that as the bank is concrete re-inforced, you aren't causing any bank damage, but how deep does the re-inforcing go? How can you be certain that your loutishness isn't undermining the base of the re-inforcment?

Are you certain that at 26mph, you will spot a fisherman low down in the long grass?

Given that kind of speed, and the high risk of colliding with the bank, how certain are you that a collision at 26mph won't damage the bank?

For the same reasons, do you believe it to be considerate to potentially require the emergency services to come and sort out the aftermath of your oafish behaviour?

I'm starting to see a distinct pattern here;

You will do whatever you want, and regard it as your right, regardless of any potential impact on others.

You expect everybody else to modify their behaviour if it has the slightest impact on you.

Such selfishness is not an endearing feature.

You claim that as the bank is concrete re-inforced, you aren't causing any bank damage, but how deep does the re-inforcing go? How can you be certain that your loutishness isn't undermining the base of the re-inforcment?

Are you certain that at 26mph, you will spot a fisherman low down in the long grass?

Given that kind of speed, and the high risk of colliding with the bank, how certain are you that a collision at 26mph won't damage the bank?

For the same reasons, do you believe it to be considerate to potentially require the emergency services to come and sort out the aftermath of your oafish behaviour?

You will do whatever you want, and regard it as your right, regardless of any potential impact on others.

You expect everybody else to modify their behaviour if it has the slightest impact on you.

And I find myself agreeing with Mr Mayall.......a rare occurance!!

1. The concrete will go at least to the bottom of the channel, more likely much further so no damage would have occured to the footings.

2. There were no fishermen about we had already checked that out.

3. We did not crash.

4. We did not need the emergency services.

5. Driving a car carries as much risk of crashing as driving a boat, so ask yourself the same questions next time you get in your car.

1. The concrete will go at least to the bottom of the channel, more likely much further so no damage would have occured to the footings.

3. We did not crash.

5. Driving a car carries as much risk of crashing as driving a boat, so ask yourself the same questions next time you get in your car.

You don't know that the concrete goes to the bottom of the channel, you don't know the condition of the concrete below the waterline, so how can you say there was no damage?

You don't know that the concrete goes to the bottom of the channel, you don't know the condition of the concrete below the waterline, so how can you say there was no damage?

If it didnt go to the bottom of the channel how did it stand up. It sure as hell doesnt float. As the channel is around 4ft deep its safe to say it goes that deep at least.

3. We did not crash.

Your preparation for your illegal antics is clearly impressive!

Just to check here;

1. Did you employ divers and structural engineers to survey the channel, so as to confirm that the walls are as you stated, and that there was no risk of undermining?
  2. Did you employ stewards to ensure that no fishermen sneaked into the long grass during your water speed record attempt.
  3. As you have already admitted, it was difficult to steer, and there was a significantly heightened risk of a crash.
  4. Did you inform the emergency services beforehand that should you crash, they should apply Darwin's Law, and allow you to drown?
  5. A plastic boat, travelling at 26mph in a narrow-ish concrete lined channel. Given stopping distances, and ability to hold to track, what would be a comprable speed in a car? 100? 120?

Your preparation for your illegal antics is clearly impressive!

Just to check here;

1. Did you employ divers and structural engineers to survey the channel, so as to confirm that the walls are as you stated, and that there was no risk of undermining?
  2. Did you employ stewards to ensure that no fishermen sneaked into the long grass during your water speed record attempt.
  3. As you have already admitted, it was difficult to steer, and there was a significantly heightened risk of a crash.
  4. Did you inform the emergency services beforehand that should you crash, they should apply Darwin's Law, and allow you to drown?
  5. A plastic boat, travelling at 26mph in a narrow-ish concrete lined channel. Given stopping distances, and ability to hold to track, what would be a comprable speed in a car? 100? 120?

1. Im a civil engineer so used my judgement.

2. We had driven past minutes before turning around for the blast.

3. It is easier to steer at higher speeds when planing.

4. No contact with the emergency services.

5. Most modern cars will easily reach that speed. Maybe you should give it a try. Or are you a sunday driver, " Just because the speed limit is 30 doesnt mean you have to do 30?"

Ah, another contribution from the hom member for Utopia.

I'm clearly a hard man, because my comfort zone for generators is much earlier than other peoples. Do you suggest that we should do away with the rule, and that anybody who doesn't mind generators running until 10pm should be allowed to run generators until 10pm themselves?

Co-operation is a wonderful ideal, but it lacks any plan B for what happens when somebody doesn't want to play.

And another reply from the champion of mediaeval feudalism.

Does the scorn you heap on my opinions mean that you think the development of the human race rightly stopped at the 'my stick's bigger than yours' stage so that aspirations towards co-operation are futile?

I don't run my generator after dusk and I would hope that my neighbours would do the same, luckily I live on a canal so can choose my neighbours, although my experience is that the vast majority of boaters live within the same moral framework I do.

5. Most modern cars will easily reach that speed. Maybe you should give it a try. Or are you a sunday driver, " Just because the speed limit is 30 doesnt mean you have to do 30?"

1. You are a civil engineer, and you have reached a conclusion that the concrete must reach down to the bed? I sincerely hope that nothing that my life depends upon was built or designed by you, because you make some huge and unjustified assumptions.
  2. So you didn't actually know that there was nobody there that could have been inconvenienced.
  3. My stepson tried to explain to me how he can drive faster than mere mortals, because of all the boy racer tweaks he made to his car. His theories are, of course BS, as is yours.
  4. This time.
  5. The fact that a car or boat can reach a speed doesn't mean that it can be safely be used at that speed, and no I'm not a Sunday driver. I do about 500 miles a week on all sorts of roads. Where safe I drive up to the speed limit. Where not I drive up to a safe speed. Even if I judge that I could safely drive in excess of the limit, I don't do so.

If it didnt go to the bottom of the channel how did it stand up. It sure as hell doesnt float. As the channel is around 4ft deep its safe to say it goes that deep at least.

I can think of at least one way - one that I've seen - where the concrete blocks were bedded on a sheet of steel that was bedded into the wall of the River Esk to give an (albeit temporary) mooring point a few years back.

@@@@@@*	 <= Block with soil behind - I'd say a two foot hight to six foot back, soil/rubble dumped atop to balance.
@@@@@@*
------		<= Steel
  \
   \   <= River Bank (but prob angled more about 30deg, not 45 as shown using text-graphics)
	\

[edit to clean up diagram]

Edited by Chris J W

I too am a civil engineer and I seriously question your judgement.

The concrete troughs that line some of the rivers were not designed to cope with such irresponsible behaviour when they were put in place, let alone many years later.

Edited by carlt

All I can say is it must have been shockingly poor judgement you used

That doesn't stop someone from walking on the scene after you had passed.

No so easy to steer at high speeds when your in full reverse, trying very hard to stop.

Only because you were very, very, lucky.

I've driven a fair selection of cars, including some modern ones that are almost certainly capable of well over 100mph.

That doesn't actually mean I drive them at those speeds, even on empty motorways.

If your boat isn't capable of inland waterway speeds, then don't use it inland.

If it doesn't steer at 2 or 3mph, then maybe you get a bigger rudder.

I was in a hurry coming down a rather icey Macc yesterday. I think I averaged about 2.2mph. I'd veiw this as about as fast a trip as is possible. I doubt I crossed more than 3mph on the deepest widest stretches.

I'm also with Carlt - your marina looks to me like one of the most boring bland places imaginable, with all those identical fiberglass crusers. Carlt's boat looks to me, (and I know little about it) to have much more attractive lines. It also sounds as if it has a history (tell us who don't know more please Carl) that is enough to give it a welcome wherever it goes...

Edited by estwdjhn

Unless his car was very slow to start with, the main limiting factor of how fast he can drive is probably his reaction speed.

If he wants to improve that, I suggest he gets an old landrover, on crossply tyres, and drives it around on wet days.

This will give him very fast reactions (oh help, I'm sliding into the back of a truck), and would probably induce him to also leave much better stopping distances than most drivers...

Edited by estwdjhn

Fortunately I missed...

Actually, IIRC when I bought my first roadworthy Landrover, I found it so scary to drive, I only got up to about 25mph tops. By the time my fear had worn off, I was driving it like a normal car, but leaving enough space to allow for its "design features"..

Phylis, I still cant get over the fact that you cant see that Carl's boat is gorgeous? The bold lines, the purposeful aspect, the ruged charm? none of that speaks to you? do you even like the sea Phylis? :lol:

ease off a bit, we can't all be the same, and have the same tastes, I don't really like narrowboats.

Edited to say

given the number of times I've hit bottom, I'd be damned if I was going to plane in any cutting, no matter what the temptation. Think of your boat, image what a shopping trolley could do at 30 knots.

Edited by fuzzyduck