Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

Its all a matter of taste and moving on with the times. Narrowboats are stuck in the dark ages. They have not changed in how many years?

Indeed it is a matter of taste, and also a matter of where you want to use the boat, obviously on narrow canals a narrow boat works very well. (it being narrow and all).

Edited by grahoom

"Narrowboats are stuck in the dark ages. They have not changed in how many years?"

Please everybody - stop responding, this is clearly a troll!!!

[in Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, most often in the form of posting inflammatory, off-topic, insulting, or otherwise inappropriate messages.]

To be fair, to Phylis, I would be most perturbed if someone with her taste in boats or marinas (car a sporty little hatchback or coupe, by any chance?) found anything I owned attractive.

I like old things, I like natural materials (though we both own composite boats). I don't like modern houses, boats, cars or marinas.

I think Phylis would be truly appalled at the things I take great pleasure in but that is her perogative.

I still maintain that my boat, unlike hers, is the most beautiful thing a lot of people have seen, in their lives, though, and I am extremely proud to be her keeper.

Ex-RNLB ON755 Peter and Sarah Blake

Stationed at Fenit LB station 1932-1958 and Relief boat 1958-1972

Called out 93 times and saved 68 lives.

pic025.jpg

Easier than your usual questions, Dave.

Move.

Ignore them (with a smile).

OK, scenario for you...

You moor up at 6pm. By 7pm, you are washed, and glad-rags on, and head into town to indulge in a meal at the pub you heard about.

At 7:10, another boat arrives, moors, and starts his generator.

At 11, you return from a splendid meal, to find the other boat with his generator still running.

You knock on the boat and ask if he will turn it off, because you are off to bed. He declines, opining that he needs the power to watch the telly, and keep the fridge running, and that his needs for cold beer are greater than yours for peace and quiet.

Do you move? Do you attempt to ignore the fact that you can't sleep?

Put simply, your solution is a green light for those who wish to behave without consideration for others to do as they please, and amounts to put up with it or bugger off.

To be fair, to Phylis, I would be most perturbed if someone with her taste in boats or marinas (car a sporty little hatchback or coupe, by any chance?) found anything I owned attractive.

pic025.jpg

You may well be suprised.

I have a 2006 Nissan Almera for the daily runner.

A 1980 Fiesta for a bit of a laugh.

A 1984 Sierra XR4i ex rally car for drag racing and general thrashing around.

OK, scenario for you...

You moor up at 6pm. By 7pm, you are washed, and glad-rags on, and head into town to indulge in a meal at the pub you heard about.

At 7:10, another boat arrives, moors, and starts his generator.

At 11, you return from a splendid meal, to find the other boat with his generator still running.

You knock on the boat and ask if he will turn it off, because you are off to bed. He declines, opining that he needs the power to watch the telly, and keep the fridge running, and that his needs for cold beer are greater than yours for peace and quiet.

Do you move? Do you attempt to ignore the fact that you can't sleep?

Put simply, your solution is a green light for those who wish to behave without consideration for others to do as they please, and amounts to put up with it or bugger off.

If you had had a good night you would be trollied and be able to sleep through anything.

And how much would you like them to spend so they dont disturb you. Not all boaters have a bottomless purse/wallet.

A lack of funds does not excuse inconsiderate behaviour.

I do also believe that one of your rights is to have a source of heat to keep you warm. So maybe a little bit of "give" goes both ways.

Nope, I can't find the right to run a noisy heating system anywhere in the Universal declaration.

It has already been accepted that some are silienced others are not. Not all diesel heaters are loud.

No, it has not been accepted.

You have claimed it, that doesn't suddenly make it a fact.

I think it's fair to say that there are noisy and quiet systems but, if you know you've got a noisy one and it is your only form of heating, then you should consider others and moor in remote spots.

The same with generators. If they are your only source of power (or heating) and you don't own a quiet suitcase genny then moor away from others.

If someone moors up next to you and subsequently complains then I believe the "I was here first and there's a lot of canal" rule should apply.

There, we must disagree.

If you moor alone, with the intention of running a genny, and somebody moors up nearby, the "bad luck, you will have to look for another remote spot" rule applies.

Sporty modern hatch for everyday with an overpowered hatch for fun.

I'm assuming serious sentimental problems, with the retention of a 1980 fiesta (or you're just bonkers).

Sporty modern hatch, its a 1.5 Nissan, the best way to describe the performance is "Tuned for economy"

The Sierra always wanted one so bought one with pedigree.

The Fiesta is a family heirloom which we have tinkered with a little to give a few more horses.

I believe that one is sorted now.

Your issue with the neighbours is sorted.

The question as to why, in that case, you adopted an attitude that is diametricaly opposed to the attitude that you adopt to running heaters, and blatting up and down the river at stupid speeds, remains very much open.

Heating your home/boat/abode is a necessity is it not?

If you dont like the noise of your neighbours heater move. Its a boat it can be moved to a new location.

I dont think that someone heating their boat is unreasonable.

OK, so, if I buy a boat with the noisiest forced diesel heater that I can find, and moor on the next pontoon from you, and run it all night, you won't have a problem with that?

I wasn't aware I was restricted to what topics I was allowed to post on.

Ah, you must have missed the bit where Phylis was put in charge of who can post on what.

Some boats dont have an option. Ours is standard fit and there isnt an alternative. Whats should we do shiver?

Choose a boat that does have an alternative.

This is even going beyond a joke now.

I think youre being inconsiderate with the belief that your sleep is more important than my warmth.

Why are you so obsessed with sleep??? i just dont get it! Why is it THE MOST IMPORTANT thing?

If you were REALLY tired a little noise wouldnt matter, but because your not properly tired you just seem to wind yourselves up instead, making it less likely you will sleep! :lol:

Edit: if mayelld moored anywhere near me i would untie and f*ck off even if i was there 1st, but then again i wouldn't be on a pontoon in the first place :lol:

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

OK, so, if I buy a boat with the noisiest forced diesel heater that I can find, and moor on the next pontoon from you, and run it all night, you won't have a problem with that?

Buy whatever you like, the chances of you getting into the marina and jumping the list would be pretty slim. Please feel free to moor up near us if you see us out and about though.