Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

Yes, the fact that a group of people who never agree with each other about anything else seem to have found common cause in their shared opinion of you is clearly evidence that they are all biggots.

Has it occured to you that the reason for the broad consensus here may just be that you behave in an utterly self-centred manner.

I believe that is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Oh now that is funny.

I have to say I do believe I could easily bring myself to despise Dave at times if I actually knew him in person. In fact it's easy to say I'd almost always be passionately opposed to most of his opinions. I regularly view him as stuck-up and backwards (which is funny because I still hold some respect for him), but you... my dear god the idea that you think Dave is anywhere near as bad as you!

You are easily the most stuck up self-centred person I've ever seen discuss any issue. You're all for everyone following the rules but when it comes down to you breaking them it's okay because you know better or you didn't have a choice. I've met people with similar attitudes to yours before, the most recent one was shot to death for it. You're in for a rude awakening, I just hope no one is hurt in the process.

To the rest of you sorry for the rant, I'm not even sure where the topic sits right now (haven't read that far yet) this was simply a breaking point for me.

Edited by Jason Wilson and Family

I believe that is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Oh now that is funny.

I have to say I do believe I could easily bring myself to despise Dave at times if I actually knew him in person. In fact it's easy to say I'd almost always be passionately opposed to most of his opinions. I regularly view him as stuck-up and backwards (which is funny because I still hold some respect for him), but you... my dear god the idea that you think Dave is anywhere near as bad as you!

You are easily the most stuck up self-centred person I've ever seen discuss any issue. You're all for everyone following the rules but when it comes down to you breaking them it's okay because you know better or you didn't have a choice. I've met people with similar attitudes to yours before, the most recent one was shot to death for it. You're in for a rude awakening, I just hope no one is hurt in the process.

To the rest of you sorry for the rant, I'm not even sure where the topic sits right now (haven't read that far yet) this was simply a breaking point for me.

I think you may find i was all for people using diesel heaters even if i could hear the noise. How is that self centred. Im all for people being warm. As far as im concerned the people moaning about the heaters are the ones being self centred. What of the tables were turned and they had no option other than a diesel heater to warm their boat. Would they want to turn it off in case they annoyed the neighbours, i think not.

Having just return from 10 days in the middle east. I find that trolls (lowest of the low) have taking over the subject. Should have brought back a AK47 :lol: . Seems that 2/3 of you don't mind being kept a wake at night by these boilers.

While I been gone, Mr newbee has packed up and moved back ashore. Having found that living on boat is not cheap as chips. Seem that he did not belived that he could have used 45 gallons in three weeks plus all the other costs.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

45 gallons in 3 weeks - thats about what I use a year for generating my electric with the boat engine.

Life aboard can be cheep (well mine is), but not unless common sense is applied to the use high energy devices.

Long live solid fuel...

Edited by estwdjhn

I was on the Broads and moored up next to the sugar beet factory, at Cantley, when a boat moored up behind me and his heater drowned out the factory noise.

I nearly worked there for a year.

- Long (ish) story but in the end declined on geographic reasons, i didnt know you could go an hour East of Norwich without a boat!

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

A boat moored up about 150 feet away from yesterday afternoon, lovely people.

Around 20:00 last night I heard a noise that sounded a bit like a jet engine. Later when I went out for the last walk of the day with my dog, I realised that it was the diesel central heating boiler on my neighbors’ boat – what a noise it makes. I can understand why people who have to listen to such a noise on a continuous basis would get a bit pissed off.

I am not blaming the boat owners, it was a bloody cold night and they needed their heating on. There must be some way of silencing these boilers more efficiently. As this is the first time I have come across such a noisy one, maybe there is an installation problem with it as I normally they don’t make much noise at all.

PS I didn't read through the whole of this thread, a bit long winded!!

I am not blaming the boat owners, it was a bloody cold night and they needed their heating on. There must be some way of silencing these boilers more efficiently. As this is the first time I have come across such a noisy one, maybe there is an installation problem with it as I normally they don’t make much noise at all.

There are indeed ways to make them less noisy. You can buy a silencer for the exhaust but as these are optional extras so boat fitters and owners don't always fit them on top of what is an expensive item.

We have an air heater (it does indeed sound like a jet engine) we don't use it much as we prefer the solid fuel stove but I was surprised when I compared the sound output of the same setup on another boat in the marina but with a silencer which ours doesn't have at the moment. The silencer really does what it says and reduces the noise produced outside the boat significantly.

After reading this whole post i agree with carlt's aproach to the subject as i think it is the most well balanced , it is just a matter of consideration.

Nice to see you comment Ernie , still avidly keeping up with your daily diary.

the only posts i take exception to are those that suggest that us tupperware boat owners necessarily need to look at alternative forms of heating , an eber or webasto is a choice made by us or for us and so long as we use consideration towards others i dont see any reason we shouldnt excersise that choice as many narrowboaters do.

It is unfortunate such a straightforward subject becomes another us and them between plastic / metal / life / wood or whatever boats and marina / canalside moorers after all whatever we use to get us on the water we are all boaters.

The only other thing that incensed me into posting is phylis's posts ...... I am a chartered engineer and as part of the process i completed the engineer in society paper i.e. how a professional engineer is veiwed in society and judging by the attitude displayed in her posts i must say i wonder if she will ever reach that stage. Sorry for going off topic but both from a professional and major pastime point of veiw i dont think she could have lent either any less credence.