Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

And another reply from the champion of mediaeval feudalism.

Does the scorn you heap on my opinions mean that you think the development of the human race rightly stopped at the 'my stick's bigger than yours' stage so that aspirations towards co-operation are futile?

I don't run my generator after dusk and I would hope that my neighbours would do the same, luckily I live on a canal so can choose my neighbours, although my experience is that the vast majority of boaters live within the same moral framework I do.

OK, leaving aside the barbed comments...

This is exactly NOT about my stick's bigger.

By having a rule that specifies where those who want all generators off at 5pm, and those who want to run till midnight must meet, we avoid the need for any power play.

The question for you is what do you do (in the absence of a rule) if somebody runs a genny until midnight, and doesn't think that unreasonable. Likewise, what if somebody demands that it be turned off at 4pm, and thinks that reasonable.

obviously with out knowing what tweaks he's carried out ist difficult to say but there are lots of ways i can think to back him up!

:lol:

Trust me, he hasn't done anything which might make it safer.

The question for you is what do you do (in the absence of a rule) if somebody runs a genny until midnight, and doesn\'t think that unreasonable. Likewise, what if somebody demands that it be turned off at 4pm, and thinks that reasonable.

Easier than your usual questions, Dave.

Move.

Ignore them (with a smile).

The vital point is that if I know that my behaviour and reactions are based on a co-operative model then I am likely to have a better experience (and more authority) than if I sit in my boat thinking \"I want to run my generator but the rules say i can\'t\" or \"he\'s running his generator even though the rules say he can\'t but i can\'t do anything about it\"

The trouble with rules, as recent governments have found, is that it is impossible to formulate them with enough precision to regulate social behaviour, people will find ways around them, either through wealth, aggression or simply not giving a toss.

Someone who lives with a morality of co-operation has no such problems.

Edited by Chris Pink

All I can say is it must have been shockingly poor judgement you used

That doesn't stop someone from walking on the scene after you had passed.

No so easy to steer at high speeds when your in full reverse, trying very hard to stop.

Only because you were very, very, lucky.

I've driven a fair selection of cars, including some modern ones that are almost certainly capable of well over 100mph.

That doesn't actually mean I drive them at those speeds, even on empty motorways.

If your boat isn't capable of inland waterway speeds, then don't use it inland.

If it doesn't steer at 2 or 3mph, then maybe you get a bigger rudder.

I was in a hurry coming down a rather icey Macc yesterday. I think I averaged about 2.2mph. I'd veiw this as about as fast a trip as is possible. I doubt I crossed more than 3mph on the deepest widest stretches.

I'm also with Carlt - your marina looks to me like one of the most boring bland places imaginable, with all those identical fiberglass crusers. Carlt's boat looks to me, (and I know little about it) to have much more attractive lines. It also sounds as if it has a history (tell us who don't know more please Carl) that is enough to give it a welcome wherever it goes...

It doesnt have a rudder. It has an outdrive and dual props which move to steer the boat. Not everything in the water works like a narrowboat.

You forget that being a civil engineer, Phyllis can see not just what lies under the water, but even what lies beneath the river bed itself. With this sort of skill, there can have been no danger to her boat.

Oddly enough being a civl engineer doesnt give you special powers but it does give you an insight into how structures work. Working in the flood management department of our consultancy also gave me an insight into how riverside structures in the area work.

Do you really think i would put my boat in danger. If i seriously thought i would damage it i would not have done the deed. Im sure many narrowboats are damaged at low speeds due to crashing into things. Hey some even sink in locks.

I dont think I have ever heard a forced diesel heater until last night. I was coming down the Thames Ditton reach between Molesey and Teddington when I thought I could hear an aircraft engine. Since airplanes usually move at about 200mph around here I expected the sound to pass but it didnt. Eventually I realised it was coming from a moored boat. You would have to be very very ignorant to inflict that kind of noise on a neighbour!

I dont think I have ever heard a forced diesel heater until last night. I was coming down the Thames Ditton reach between Molesey and Teddington when I thought I could hear an aircraft engine. Since airplanes usually move at about 200mph around here I expected the sound to pass but it didnt. Eventually I realised it was coming from a moored boat. You would have to be very very ignorant to inflict that kind of noise on a neighbour!

Here this on goes again

How else would you suggest they heat their boat? If this is the only source of heat they have what else do you suggest they do?

Perhaps I will open a disco in my house. How else do my neighbours expect me to make a living!

I have heating on my boat - it doesn't disturb anyone. Quiet heating systems are freely available.

And how much would you like them to spend so they dont disturb you. Not all boaters have a bottomless purse/wallet.

Our society is based on a system of mutual respect. Specifically, we have laws against noise and nuisance. If you want to opt out of this system I believe many third wold countries have a more laissez faire approach. But if you want to enjoy the many benefits of living in a first world country (hospitals, fire services, education) then I am afraid you will need to endure a little bit of 'give' in oder to enjoy the 'take' - his could include not making excessive noise!

Edited by WJM

Our society is based on a system of mutual respect. Specifically, we have laws against noise and nuisance. If you want to opt out of this system I believe many third wold countries have a more laissez faire approach. But if you want to enjoy the many benefits of living in a first world country (hospitals, fire services, education) then I am afraid you will need to endure a little bit of 'give' in oder to enjoy the 'take' - his could include not making excessive noise!

I do also believe that one of your rights is to have a source of heat to keep you warm. So maybe a little bit of "give" goes both ways.

Well you may be incapable of behaving considerately without a big stick waved over you but I am not.

Not the point. I'd like to thionk that I am considerate but there are plenty of people who I regard as inconsiderate. Without regulation these people could make my life a nightmare.

Personally I'm not that bothered by generators/running engines/diesel heaters but I can see that others are. I wouldn't run my engine in prohibited hours out of consideration for others but there are plenty who would if it werent for the regs.

Edited by AlanH

Perhaps I will build a small nuclear reactor to heat my boat - and if you want to complain about the radiation you can **** off - I have a right to heat my boat in any way I ***ing want to!

I only came into this discussion because i was STUNNED by how loud these systems are - having never heard one before last night!

Edited by WJM

Not the point. I'd like to thionk that I am considerate but there are plenty of people who I regard as inconsiderate. Without regulation these people could make my life a nightmare.

Judging about the amount of moaning you do on here about various 'types' of boater it's not really working is it?

There will always be someone with a bigger stick than yours and you will no right of complaint because that is the way you choose to accept authority.

Edited by Chris Pink

Perhaps I will build a small nuclear reactor to heat my boat - and if you want to complain about the radiation you can **** off - I have a right to heat my boat in any way I ***ing want to!

I only came into this discussion because i was STUNNED by how loud these systems are - having never heard one before last night!

It has already been accepted that some are silienced others are not. Not all diesel heaters are loud.

I think it's fair to say that there are noisy and quiet systems but, if you know you've got a noisy one and it is your only form of heating, then you should consider others and moor in remote spots.

The same with generators. If they are your only source of power (or heating) and you don't own a quiet suitcase genny then moor away from others.

If someone moors up next to you and subsequently complains then I believe the "I was here first and there's a lot of canal" rule should apply.

I think it's fair to say that there are noisy and quiet systems but, if you know you've got a noisy one and it is your only form of heating, then you should consider others and moor in remote spots.

The same with generators. If they are your only source of power (or heating) and you don't own a quiet suitcase genny then moor away from others.

If someone moors up next to you and subsequently complains then I believe the "I was here first and there's a lot of canal" rule should apply.

Some people on here have been moaning about liveaboards on their own home moorings though. Surely they have paid to use their mooring so shouldnt have to move.

Some people on here have been moaning about liveaboards on their own home moorings though. Surely they have paid to use their mooring so shouldnt have to move.

It depends. I understand your neighbours are legally entitled to have a baby and babies cry. Why did you moan?

Judging about the amount of moaning you do on here about various 'types' of boater it's not really working is it?

There will always be someone with a bigger stick than yours and you will no right of complaint because that is the way you choose to accept authority.

And under your system who will control the inconsiderate? It is a system which allows the bully with a bigger stick to rule.

I have never moaned about the behaviour of various types of boater other than to agree with Dave on continuous moorers. I have pointed out where some gain financial advantage.

I think this is why Chris favours the lack of a system.

And I'd agree with him if it wasn't for the fact that not all people behave in what I'd regard as a reasonable manner. Those with the most aggressive attitude would dominate.