Should Forced diesel heating be banned from being used late at night?

nbfiresprite

Should forced Diesel Heating be banned from being used between 10pm and 7am  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should be banned?

• No
    • What did you say?
    • Yes

Featured Posts

I hope your marina's entrance is locked, to stop the chavvy types coming in and racing round the pontoons.

I've heard they speed up to 27mph, round your way!

No just flood gates to stop the houses flooding. There is a bit of a them and us divide in the area though. People in the marina love the place (us included) and those not in the marina are under the impression it is a bit too upmarket. If they made the effort to come in and have a look around they may find it is full of ordinary people and their boats. The rules in place are there for the benefit of all. Who wants to be moored next to a ramshackle boat with bits of old junk scattered along the pontoon? I certainly dont and im sure most of you dont really want to either.

As for the speeding issue. The majority of boats in the area are sea faring vessels due to the vicinity of the coast so very few if any of the boats can actually stick to the speed limit. 3mph through Lincoln is impossible for most of the boats ours included which is why a vessel doing the speed limit in the area is a rarity indeed.

Who wants to be moored next to a ramshackle boat with bits of old junk scattered along the pontoon?

I do but, then again, I wouldn't want to own a boat that looks like it came straight from the injection moulding plant.

Over-sanitised sterility is not my thing so it's nice to have it out of sight in marinas.

As for the speeding issue. The majority of boats in the area are sea faring vessels due to the vicinity of the coast so very few if any of the boats can actually stick to the speed limit. 3mph through Lincoln is impossible for most of the boats ours included which is why a vessel doing the speed limit in the area is a rarity indeed.

Having 256bhp at my disposal I would argue that good helmsmanship is all that is required to stay within the speed limits.

If it is impossible to travel at less than 6 knots how on earth do you control the boat around the marina?

I do but, then again, I wouldn't want to own a boat that looks like it came straight from the injection moulding plant.

Over-sanitised sterility is not my thing so it's nice to have it out of sight in marinas.

The variety of boats in the marina is a sight to behold as you will see below.

DSC00184-1.jpg

DSC00185.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

DSC00177.jpg

DSC00172.jpg

Now say thats over sterilized.

The problem with your analysis, Dave, is that for your suggested option to work, first must be appointed a body that everybody respects as having the authority to make those rules.

You dismiss the 'do to others as you have done to you' option which I would hold is our only hope for a truly co-operative society. We all live within limits of toleration and it would be a hard man or woman who censured someone whose behaviour fell in the area between his and another's comfort zone. Thus we achieve the aspiration of your stated aim without having to appoint an authority whose search for compromise is likely to please no-one.

A co-operative system is also likely to encourage dialogue and mutual understanding whereas a rule based system does not do these things and, if it breeds enough resentment, will break down.

Ah, another contribution from the hom member for Utopia.

I'm clearly a hard man, because my comfort zone for generators is much earlier than other peoples. Do you suggest that we should do away with the rule, and that anybody who doesn't mind generators running until 10pm should be allowed to run generators until 10pm themselves?

Co-operation is a wonderful ideal, but it lacks any plan B for what happens when somebody doesn't want to play.

Having 256bhp at my disposal I would argue that good helmsmanship is all that is required to stay within the speed limits.

If it is impossible to travel at less than 6 knots how on earth do you control the boat around the marina?

Tickover and tiny bursts of slight power to control her. Getting the hang of it now. Fortunately the marina is wide open for the bigger boats.

The River Witham has only a slight flow but even with the boat in neutral you are going faster than 3mph through Lincoln. We can do 4mph at a push.

but you're not allowed in if your boat is "scruffy"? Can I ask what the rules are regarding boats look etc?

The boat has to be clean, tidy and pleasing on the eye, whos eye i dont know. You have to provide photographs with the mooring application. We bought the boat through them so didnt have an issue.

Tickover and tiny bursts of slight power to control her. Getting the hang of it now. Fortunately the marina is wide open for the bigger boats.

The River Witham has only a slight flow but even with the boat in neutral you are going faster than 3mph through Lincoln. We can do 4mph at a push.

I know the Witham well and I stand by what I said earlier.

Poor helmsmanship is the only excuse for exceeding the speed limit.

The variety of boats in the marina is a sight to behold as you will see below.

Now say thats over sterilized.

Sorry Phylis, that is my idea of hell but if you like it ........................................

I rest my case.

A Dutch Barge and one blue boat in a glut of white plastic.

So you dont like fibreglass. Each to their own. Some of us prefer it. I wouldnt like to take a narrowboat to sea though.

We decided not to limit our options by buying a narrowboat. We fancied trips further afield than the local canals. We can still use the broad canals should we wish but can also do sea trips should we fancy. And judging by the number of boats in the marina im not alone.

You dismiss the 'do to others as you have done to you' option which I would hold is our only hope for a truly co-operative society. We all live within limits of toleration and it would be a hard man or woman who censured someone whose behaviour fell in the area between his and another's comfort zone. Thus we achieve the aspiration of your stated aim without having to appoint an authority whose search for compromise is likely to please no-one.

A co-operative system is also likely to encourage dialogue and mutual understanding whereas a rule based system does not do these things and, if it breeds enough resentment, will break down.

A recipe for anarchy.

I know the Witham well and I stand by what I said earlier.

Poor helmsmanship is the only excuse for exceeding the speed limit.

Would you care to come and have a go at making Cal do the speed limit. Its a challenge i open to you now. You are welcome any time you like. I would like to see how you will make a small boat do 3mph when the river itself is doing more. We can show you it is doing more due to the speed log reading over 3 when moored up on the river. As i said the choice is yours come down when you like.

Sorry Phylis, that is my idea of hell but if you like it ........................................

Show me your idea of heaven. If you find that hell it must be bloody good.

So you dont like fibreglass. Each to their own. Some of us prefer it. I wouldnt like to take a narrowboat to sea though.

We decided not to limit our options by buying a narrowboat. We fancied trips further afield than the local canals. We can still use the broad canals should we wish but can also do sea trips should we fancy. And judging by the number of boats in the marina im not alone.

Who said I don't like splitters? I think Fuzzyduck has, probably, the second nicest boat, on the forum and all my boats are built from fibres in a resin matrix.

Also it was me who first coined the phrase"clonecraft" to describe (in my opinion) the way narrowboats have all adopted a boring design formula.

I wouldn't take a narrowboat to sea, either:

pic002.jpg

:lol:

Sorry this is going to be off topic I know but I just clocked your new Avatar picture. Certainly an antidote to look-alike camper vans. You don't see many Bedord CAs around these days let alone nice campervan versions. Excellent! :lol:

We used to bum around in the mid 70s in a CA panel van. Clapped out of course so rather gutless but great fun.

Who said I don't like splitters? I think Fuzzyduck has, probably, the second nicest boat, on the forum and all my boats are built from fibres in a resin matrix.

Also it was me who first coined the phrase"clonecraft" to describe (in my opinion) the way narrowboats have all adopted a boring design formula.

I wouldn't take a narrowboat to sea, either:

pic002.jpg

You see with out being rude you have provided a perfect example of what the marina is trying to avoid.

Would you care to come and have a go at making Cal do the speed limit.

If you bought a boat that is incapable of navigating within the speed limit on inland waterways, you have a boat that you shouldn't use on the inland waterways.

If you bought a boat that is incapable of navigating within the speed limit on inland waterways, you have a boat that you shouldn't use on the inland waterways.

As far as im aware there is no rule saying what type of boat can and can not navigate the inland waterway system. As the majority of rivers we plan on using have higher speed levels than the Witham it is only getting off the Witham that is the challenge.

How would you suggest we get out of the marina? Fly?

The boat has to be clean, tidy and pleasing on the eye, whos eye i dont know. You have to provide photographs with the mooring application. We bought the boat through them so didnt have an issue.

did you have to send them a picture of yourself also to see if you were suitable ?

As far as im aware there is no rule saying what type of boat can and can not navigate the inland waterway system. As the majority of rivers we plan on using have higher speed levels than the Witham it is only getting off the Witham that is the challenge.

How would you suggest we get out of the marina? Fly?

What an odd argument. Isn't that like someone buying a formula 1 car to go to work in then believing they have a valid excuse for doing 50mph (because it won't go any slower) in a 20mph zone?

Gibbo

You see with out being rude you have provided a perfect example of what the marina is trying to avoid.

Ahhhhhhh. The marina wants to avoid proper boats.

Gibbo

Would you care to come and have a go at making Cal do the speed limit. Its a challenge i open to you now. You are welcome any time you like. I would like to see how you will make a small boat do 3mph when the river itself is doing more. We can show you it is doing more due to the speed log reading over 3 when moored up on the river. As i said the choice is yours come down when you like.

The speed limit, on a river, is not your over the ground speed but your speed, over the water so, if the current is running at 4mph and the speed limit is 3mph, then you are allowed to do 7mph downstream or 3mph, upstream, over the ground.

did you have to send them a picture of yourself also to see if you were suitable ?

No we bought it from them so they met us in person. I know why you lot dont like marinas now. You have to meet people and talk to them which in the case of most of you is seemingly impossible without the discussion turning into an argument.

I can guarantee that more people have been pleased to see my boat than yours.

There is no more valuable boat, on this forum, than mine. This is a fact.

The speed limit, on a river, is not your over the ground speed but your speed, over the water so, if the current is running at 4mph and the speed limit is 3mph, then you are allowed to do 7mph downstream or 3mph, upstream, over the ground.

The boat is fitted with a speed log so measures its actual speed in the water.

No we bought it from them so they met us in person. I know why you lot dont like marinas now. You have to meet people and talk to them which in the case of most of you is seemingly impossible without the discussion turning into an argument.

HAHAHA :lol: I had to meet and talk to the land owner where I keep my boat. But he didn't request a photo of the boat before he agreed to allow me to keep it there.

I don't have an issue with marina's although I would have an issue with any mooring that was based on the "look" of my boat, much the same as I wouldn't take a job if I had to "look" a certain way.

I can guarantee that more people have been pleased to see my boat than yours.

There is no more valuable boat, on this forum, than mine. This is a fact.

I'd be interested to know how many marinas have actually contacted you telling you that it would be an honour to accommodate your boat.