Cold hands!

Water Rat.

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a pair of decent gloves for a spot of winter boating? Our hands frooooooooze yesterday. Oh and so did our feet!

Thinsulate. Whole family has them. They're brilliant. Like sleeping bags for your fingers.

Gibbo

Edited by Gibbo

Also useful are silk liner gloves. Get them from biking shops.

My bike has heated grips, which are a godsend below about 5deg. You can get wrap-around heated grips for bikes for about £50. I'm tempted to get a pair and put one round the tiller and the other on the side.

Thisulate for mee, too, but I like the fingerless jobbies, with a mitten end sewn on, which vecroes back, out of the way, when you're doing tricky tasks (like rolling a fag).

I am going to have a look at them. Himself had thinsulate on and they soaked up the rain like mad - very soggy! They are quite old though. Think he definately needs the fag rolling jobbies too, that will stop him popping below every time he needs to roll up - I think it is a ruse to keep out of the cold!

Thisulate for mee, too, but I like the fingerless jobbies, with a mitten end sewn on, which vecroes back, out of the way, when you're doing tricky tasks (like rolling a fag).

ditto on the fingerless gloves but my last to paddington saw me nicking Swimbo's ready mades as the wind kept blowing the baccy out of the papers.....now....a nice warm wheelhouse and all else pales to insignificance

Also useful are silk liner gloves. Get them from biking shops.

My bike has heated grips, which are a godsend below about 5deg. You can get wrap-around heated grips for bikes for about £50. I'm tempted to get a pair and put one round the tiller and the other on the side.

Where's the fun in that? Half the experience of Biking in the winter is not being able to remember the journey beacause the cold has numbed your senses.

If you're feeling flush you could get a pair of

sealskinz

I've asked for a pair for Christmas. Hope my hands don't freeze before then!

Mac

I have used some Sealskinz this year and have been very impressed, but they are overpriced.

No doubt the manufacturers will say they are worth it and if you dont get frozen hands it depends on how much you value keeping warm.

Personally I like cruising in most weathers that I can get out so they are worth it. In this case they were a Christmas present from last year.

If you're feeling flush you could get a pair of

sealskinz

I've asked for a pair for Christmas. Hope my hands don't freeze before then!

Mac

I had a pair of sealskinz, till one fell down onto the stove and melted :lol:

Although waterproof I didn't find them particularly warm when just holding the tiller all day

Kev

Seal skinz for me. Waterproof and thin enough to have feel when using ropes and other things. They are also thin enough to use as a liner under other gloves if hands still get cold although personally if I find the sealskinz not enough that is a signal to stop, get inside, have a cup of tea and warm up or indeed finish for the day!

Seal skinz for me. Waterproof and thin enough to have feel when using ropes and other things. They are also thin enough to use as a liner under other gloves if hands still get cold although personally if I find the sealskinz not enough that is a signal to stop, get inside, have a cup of tea and warm up or indeed finish for the day!

Yes, agreed, very good dexterity wise for ropes and locks etc.

Nice and grippy too with the bobbly bits on them.

Yes, agreed, very good dexterity wise for ropes and locks etc.

Nice and grippy too with the bobbly bits on them.

I too would say have a look at some winter biker gloves - warm, water resistant and still strong for handling ropes etc.

Maplin also have been doing some "electrically heated " gloves which might be useful

Nick

I use some very thin polypropylene inner gloves which are brilliant (better than silk inners when motorcycling). They are a loose knitted design which I believe traps air yet wicks moisture away.

I have a pair of Sealskinz too - very good but not the warmest I've known. They keep the water out pretty well but do eventually succumb.

Hi

Had a look at some sealskinz mittens the other day and they have a hard outer (for rope work) and though they looked like mitts inside they are gloves - a bit different!

Anyway - we sometimes use hand and feet warmers (small reheatable blocks that fit inside your gloves and boots) don't buy the ones that are not reheatable - OK for a one off but not for ongoing bad weather.

When you come in off the stern - stick the blocks in the oven to reheat.

buy 8 of them and you can work on a rota system - 4 in gloves and boots and the other 4 in the oven warming up!

• 1 month later...

fishing type moon boots are gonna be the way to go for your feet, but THE answer to your cold hand on the tiller problem has got to be velcro attatched 12volt heated motorcycle handlebar grips .you will be able to fasten both of them round the the tiller bar , and if my puny m/c battery will work them im sure your boat batt supply will cope. happy cruising.

Where's the fun in that? Half the experience of Biking in the winter is not being able to remember the journey beacause the cold has numbed your senses.

COBBLERS