Fings wot have been lobbed at me

MPR

Featured Posts

Donkeys years ago near Manchester some youths flung stones at me and the boat as i approached a bridge, i was drinking a beer from a heavy pint glass and instinct took over - hurled the glass at them, luckily missed and the glass sailed off to somewhere unknown. I still flinch at the thought of where the glass went and hopefully it missed anything important. I had a shorter temper in those days...

spacer.pngSept 1985 -  three foot long thick cardboard tube. Boat in Hulme Locks Branch (Bridgewater Canal) and tube thudded on top of boat from the railway above. As it happens the crew was not in the line of fire and our small-child much enjoyed the missile for the remainder of the trip ...

spacer.png

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngSept 1985 -  three foot long thick cardboard tube. Boat in Hulme Locks Branch (Bridgewater Canal) and tube thudded on top of boat from the railway above. As it happens the crew was not in the line of fire and our small-child much enjoyed the missile for the remainder of the trip ...

spacer.png

Fabulous photo!

A couple of kids tipped carrier bags of water over us from above the portal of Blisworth tunnel.

A quick reverse and a leap to the bank surprised them - so they ran off leaving their bikes on the towpath.....

Can't remember where but some kids on a 1st floor balcony threw a couple of eggs at me, which hit the boat whilst I was mooring. However, when I was their age I was a dab hand at egging, so I quickly dispatched a dozen eggs back at them through the open doors and then swiftly moved on.

• Haha 1

Whenever we returned to Earlswood through Brandwood Tunnel, I would move to the front cockpit, turn off the tunnel light and wait with a primed catapult. The scrotes would peer into the tunnel but could not judge how far away we were and as they leant in I would release mint imperials from the catapult. They would disappear and not bombard us. 

Maybe they were grateful for the sweeties!

• Haha 2

I had a few stones thrown going down Ryders Green, managed to catch some of them and threw them back at the kids.

Had a mattress and a big sack of kindling between Minworth and Curdworth, I knew it was coming as I watched the kids dragging it down the lane towards the bridge so stopped the boat as they were about to push it over the parapet so it didn't land on me.

16 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I had a few stones thrown going down Ryders Green, managed to catch some of them and threw them back at the kids.

Had a mattress and a big sack of kindling between Minworth and Curdworth, I knew it was coming as I watched the kids dragging it down the lane towards the bridge so stopped the boat as they were about to push it over the parapet so it didn't land on me.

What you actually saw was the mattress controlling the kids to enable it to enter its aquatic breeding phase, I guarantee the kids will have absolutely no memory of the incident.

You sir are a very lucky man being able to observe this wonder of nature 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

What you actually saw was the mattress controlling the kids to enable it to enter its aquatic breeding phase, I guarantee the kids will have absolutely no memory of the incident.

They do flollop and vollue beautifully when the mating rituals are in effect, although the mournful globbering of those that don't find a mate can bring a tear to the eye ;) 

• Greenie 2

28 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Obviously not a memory foam mattress 

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

On 14/04/2024 at 15:22, Tonka said:

Obviously not a memory foam mattress 

Obviously one, you mean. The foam is what absorbs the memories. 

Not had anything chucked me on Lark.

Chap with a catapult was pinging stones at me at Diglis when I took the canoe to poke around the oil dock, autumn 2022.

Last summer a couple of kids on the bridge outside Netherton Tunnel by the engine house mimed throwing stones at us on Atlas & Malus, but nothing real. I heard later they had chucked pebbles at another boat. Perhaps they appreciate the historic ones!

I've thrown all sorts of junk into the workboat mid-channel from the towpath, or had others throw it at me.